Diver dies near shipwreck off coast of Long Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llobue

I would like to pass along my sincere condolences to you and your family for your tragic loss.

Brian

llobue:
Excuse me, but that's my Uncle you're talking about. He was a smart man and an experienced diver. His death was no fault of his; it was not the result of irresponsibilty or ignornace.
He had his buddy but people get separated, especially in the dark.
My deepest condolences for your loss. I didn't know Anthony, but I had met his brother, as my best friend was his instructor. I am a crew member on a different dive boat here on Long Island, and I was one of the divers asked by the police to search for Anthony's lost equipment.

Nobody here intends to speak bad of Anthony, or to desecrate his memory, or to blame him. As divers, we are a small community, and when one of us is lost, all of us feel it. The purpose of trying to understand the reason behind the tradgedy is so we can learn from it, and try to prevent such a tradgedy from ever happening again. As a diver, I know Anthony would understand this. I hope you can too.

Of what is discussed here, most of it is just guesses. It's how we try to recreate the events from the bits and pieces of information we do have as facts. Ultimately, since he was alone in the end, it is very likely that we will never really know what happened.

Nothing can bring Anthony back, but as divers, even though we didn't know him personally, we keep his memory alive by learning from the tradgedy. If other divers take some bit of this analysis and prevent a similar tradgedy, or if instructors take some and educate their divers better because of the knowledge of what went wrong, then Anthony has saved these lives. From what I have heard of him, I think he would be pleased with that.

Once again, you have my deepest condolences for your loss.

Adam

llobue:
Excuse me, but that's my Uncle you're talking about. He was a smart man and an experienced diver. His death was no fault of his; it was not the result of irresponsibilty or ignornace.
He had his buddy but people get separated, especially in the dark.
Please don't take this as disrespecting the dead. You have my deepest condolences for your loss

WHat I am about to say can be a learning tool for others.
If it is true that he has alot of local dives but hasn't been diving for 3 years his decision to do his first dive as a night dive was a poor one.

No matter how many dives you have your skills get rusty with lack of use.

Running a reel takes some skill not to foul it up moreso if there is any current present. AT night a diver has to manage his light and reel, this takes some work, its easy when in practice but no so easy if you haven't done it in a while. If you dont keep the line tight you have all sorts of potential entanglements and if you cant see that far ahead of you, you can get into a situation.

Now add the wreck which is a debris field which has many potential points of entanglement.. You just upped the task loading another notch.

A few years ago another diver (on a day dive) got entangled, paniced and basically choked himself out (with no signs of life and reg out of mouth), luckily another diver found him and sent him to the surface.. He was resusitated and had several hyperbaric treatments.. He is one luck person, he is alive but can never dive again due to injuries sustained to his brain.
The diver was diving a little beyond what his skill supported.

there are SO many reasons to not panic and carry some sort of dive knife. This just being 1 of many.

My condolences to his family and him.

This is so very sad. Praying for you and your family.
Foo

Back
Top Bottom