Diver dies near shipwreck off coast of Long Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how could you not dive with back up air .. you dont jump out an air plane with only one parachute. did this man not read his Padi book ? or go to a single class....
you cant just jump in and go for it ..... im new to diving .. hell i dont start class for a week .. and i know you dont dive with out you buddy next to you and some kind of back up air (spair air) or a pony back up..... ........... this sounds like it did not have to happen.

did this man not read his Padi book ? .....im new to diving .. hell i dont start class for a week .. and i know you dont dive with out you buddy next to you and some kind of back up air (spair air) or a pony back up
I seriously doubt you'll be using a spare air or pony bottle in your PADI open water class unless you purchase your own...

nyresq:
diving in the northeast atlantic ain't like diving in the keys. And unless you dove here or some parts of the great lakes you can't understand. 5'-10' vis with a two knot current in 38 degree water is the norm, not the exception. visibility on good days ranges from 10'-20'.

Unless a buddy is within an arms length he will loose contact with a fellow diver. On most of the more advanced wrecks it is common to see divers going solo or diving with the "I'll meet you on the bottom" type of buddy system, most times your buddy will loose sight as you decend down the line and swim out on your dive unless running a line your buddy can follow.
As for the other three divers there are many days where you will happen upon another diver on a wreck only after getting within 3 feet of him.
On the dive boats there isn't enough room for 4 divers to suit up at the same time so the divers will splash as they are ready and the first diver may splash 20 minutes before the last diver on a boat with 5 or six divers. you also have people of different experience levels on the same boat where some may be doing a 25 minute non-deco dives and others may be doing a 45 minute dive with 30 minutes of deco, so after the first dive no one is on the same surface interval time, and again there may be a significant amout of time difference between divers decending. we don't know who else was on the bottom at the same time.

Those are all solvable issues. Pair divers up by experience level and have them dive the same profiles, descend in control and don't allow separation on the descent, and stay within an arms length on the bottom and surface if you become separated.

Here are some more details.

The diver, Anthony Lobue, was fairly experienced, having done more than 200 dives in the area, however, this was his first dive in at least three years. It was a night dive, and he did have a buddy. They became separated during the dive. A crew member found his line during the normal course of his dive, and followed the line to Lobue's body. At that time, it was only 30 minutes into Lobue's dive. He was found quite tangled, with no regulator in his mouth. The crew member cut him free and surfaced with the body.

It is not understood much more of what really caused the accident. His gear was removed from his body to get him onto the boat, and it sunk. It has not been recovered. There is no way thus to know if he had air or not, if his light was functioning, if he had a cutting device, etc. The area where he was found was searched on subsequent dives to the wreck, but no equipment was found, including his tanks and BCD.

The following is pure speculation:

30 Minutes into a dive on the Iberia, at 60 feet, is a short time. You would have to be breathing pretty hard to exhaust a full tank in that time, although panic or stress could explain that. Unless he exhausted the tank, it would be unlikely that he would have spit out his regulator. Other possibilities include accidental knocking out of the regulator during the struggle to disentangle himself, or a medical issue, like a heart attack. All these possibilities are conceivable. The coroners report has not yet been released.

Commonly, accidents like these involve a cascade of events. Unfortunately, there is little information that is known. Did his light fail, or did he perhaps drop it? Did he have a knife or other cutting device? Perhaps he dropped it and couldn't find it in the dark.

As is so often the case, it may never be determined what really happened. This is a shallow wreck, completely broken down, with no real penetrable structure. It is a common site for novice divers, and a good place for a shakedown dive. I have dived it several hundred times, and can say that it can be difficult to navigate for those unfamiliar, because it is so broken down, which is likely why he was using the line. Usually, the anchor line is tied to an easily identifiable structure, such as the engine, which gives the most vertivcal releif, or the prop-shaft, which extends unbroken from the engine to the prop, which is a good references for navigation. I don't know where the line was tied on this dive.

Part of the reason for the lack of information is because the boat Captian is somewhat shaken up by the incident, and is not talking much, other than to the authorities. He is a very competent and skilled captain, with many years of experience in the area.

I will post additional information if and when I get it.

Adam

According to some information I got today, his tanks were recovered, and did contain about 1200psi. (type of tank was not mentioned).

Panic is looking more and more like the culpret (excuse spelling).

Gabriel90512:
how could you not dive with back up air .. you dont jump out an air plane with only one parachute. did this man not read his Padi book ? or go to a single class....
you cant just jump in and go for it ..... im new to diving .. hell i dont start class for a week .. and i know you dont dive with out you buddy next to you and some kind of back up air (spair air) or a pony back up..... ........... this sounds like it did not have to happen.

Excuse me, but that's my Uncle you're talking about. He was a smart man and an experienced diver. His death was no fault of his; it was not the result of irresponsibilty or ignornace.
He had his buddy but people get separated, especially in the dark.

MAK52580:
I was also going to ask where his knife and backup were? It definitely appears from all info that he was diving solo, with no cutting tools, no sufficient backup and without proper training to know how to get out of this situation. It was a disaster made to happen.

He had a buddy and a knife. He was diving with seven other people.
And he was an experienced diver. He had the "proper training."

Thanks for the condolences.

DEEPLOU:
According to some information I got today, his tanks were recovered, and did contain about 1200psi. (type of tank was not mentioned).

Panic is looking more and more like the culpret (excuse spelling).

Hi, I'm Anthony's niece. I was just wondering how you knew so much information. Did you know him?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom