diver dies at ginnie springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haneym

Reaction score
just heard it on the news, anybody have more info??

happened yesterday - Sat 8/20. i was there and when we left at about 6:30 pm there was no activity and nobody had been reported missing yet. it mustve been later when they figured it out. news just said he was a 20 year old UNF student cave diving. kinda creepy knowing i was there and probably saw him.

EDIT -
tv news report was a little off, at least if this other news report is more accurate. this article says he was freediving not SCUBA. everytime ive been to ginnie i see a lot of those going down into the cavern and always thought it was pretty dumb. i also always figured there are so many divers around, if something happened, somebody would help them. this kid was doing it at dogwood springs though where no divers go. we walked right past there after going on a tube float yesterday and there was nobody even swimming in that area.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/4878157/detail.html

Very tragic event. Condolences to his family.
It is a reminder to me that I should always have a dive buddy, even
if I am just free diving. You just never know.

Thanks for the report...haneym...I dove there quite a bit last spring and hope to get there this fall. It is sad and I do send my condolences to the family...:(

My condolences to his friends and family.

Dogwood springs - isn't that the little shallow vent just downstream from the main Ginnie run?

Still, it's tragic. Very sorry to hear about it.

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
My condolences to his friends and family.

Dogwood springs - isn't that the little shallow vent just downstream from the main Ginnie run?

Still, it's tragic. Very sorry to hear about it.

-Grier
Yes, that is the one.
I've done this very thing there many times and that spring has a flat crevase at the bottom which can be pretty tight to turn around in. While it lulls a free diver into false sense of security (being so shallow). He may have just got stuck trying to turn around there.
As a long time breath-hold diver I have been into most all the holes in the north/central Fla Springs.(I have prob. been the subject of many after dive discusions of the many scuba divers I would pass in the caverns and caves)While I certainly do not advise this activity to anyone because the only thing I ever found in those holes was that what you DON'T know WILL kill you!!!

My condolences to his family having to endure this tragic event

My condolences to his family and friend.

Condolences to family and friends, however, this is not a tragic event. This is an example of Darwin in action. If you prefer to sleep on traintracks, it is not a tragic event when you're hit by a train. If you enjoy running across six-lane highways on Saturday mornings, it is not a tragic event when you're nailed by a semi. If you like to drink heavily and pass out in dumpsters, it is not a tragic event when you get crushed in a trash compactor. These are entirely foreseeable, completely predictable outcomes - not sudden tragedies. When a moron freedives down inside a cavern or cave, their subsequent demise is likewise completely predictable. Like all the other activities mentioned, it's only a matter of time before they don't make it back out.

What's tragic, though, is that these morons ultimately drive up the cost of access and insurance policies, close cave systems to the public, perpetuate the notion of cave diving as a reckless or foolhardy activity, and, in the minds of the general public (and lawmakers), associate responsible divers with irresponsible behavior. That's the real tragedy.

Doc Intrepid:
Condolences to family and friends, however, this is not a tragic event. This is an example of Darwin in action. If you prefer to sleep on traintracks, it is not a tragic event when you're hit by a train. If you enjoy running across six-lane highways on Saturday mornings, it is not a tragic event when you're nailed by a semi. If you like to drink heavily and pass out in dumpsters, it is not a tragic event when you get crushed in a trash compactor. These are entirely foreseeable, completely predictable outcomes - not sudden tragedies. When a moron freedives down inside a cavern or cave, their subsequent demise is likewise completely predictable. Like all the other activities mentioned, it's only a matter of time before they don't make it back out.

What's tragic, though, is that these morons ultimately drive up the cost of access and insurance policies, close cave systems to the public, perpetuate the notion of cave diving as a reckless or foolhardy activity, and, in the minds of the general public (and lawmakers), associate responsible divers with irresponsible behavior. That's the real tragedy.

Man thats harsh... although I do agree with every word you said.
03.gif

Doc Intrepid:

Love your sense of compassion, especially as we know little to nothing about the particulars of this accident.

While I agree with some of your sentiment regarding safety and taking precautions, it's wise to remember that family and friends frequently read SB. You might want to refrain from name calling and making snap judgements, or at least from expressing them in such a tactless, mean-spirited way. Maybe it makes you feel superior, but try and remember the audience.

Fact is, we've got what appears to be a freediver fatality. And that is, no matter what you in your infinite wisdom might feel, a tragedy.

-Grier

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom