Diver dies after being rescued in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're Right,,it's their boat

But as a passenger I don't get a veto vote on a fellow passenger {who put's the reg on backwards/can't set their computer/etc}.

But I have returned to the dock with dead divers and it takes a very long time for me to recover from it mentally and I'm not crew.

Although it will never happen,,,I still think C-cards should be just like driver's license renewal requirements.
Cut up your other cards and go take a GUE class. Their cards do expire, and you'll be much happier to have to retake the class periodically (or however they recertify). Then buy your own boat or make sure you dive from GUE only boats. Actually, if you just buy your own boat then problem solved! Your boat, your rules.

Most boat captains do it because in part they intend to earn money doing it. That means taking a slightly less narrow view on who can dive from their boat. Rather than making up their own rules, they probably follow the rules set forth by their liability insurance company.

wow I think my point was missed completely. I was not advocating a physical fitness test to dive or BMI check. I would say that if you know you can't currently pass the swim test that was originally required for the open water cert you should get your self back into that shape at the very least. Key words "you" and "yourself".

I was merely suggesting (I guess its a ridiculous suggestion) that we as divers take an honest assessment of ourselves, our health and condition, and make the decision to dive acknowledging that we are putting others at risk when we choose to dive with known high risk factors. Its not just a matter of choosing to take that risk and die doing what you love, unless you dive completely solo and don't expect a rescue attempt when something goes sideways.

Most dive operations in most European countries require a medical certificate confirming that there is no medical reason not to dive. Depending on age this certificate has to be renewed every year. I did my today and it involved, beside measuring height and weight, an electrocardiogram at rest and on the bike, an eye test and a blood test.
I always wondered why this check does not exist in the US. Maybe the accident discussed in this threat could have been avoided.
Patrick

Most dive operations in most European countries require a medical certificate confirming that there is no medical reason not to dive. Depending on age this certificate has to be renewed every year. I did my today and it involved, beside measuring height and weight, an electrocardiogram at rest and on the bike, an eye test and a blood test.
I always wondered why this check does not exist in the US. Maybe the accident discussed in this threat could have been avoided.
Patrick
No offense but this doesn't exist in the US because we value our freedom from the goverment intruding on our lives. This thought was the founding of the US. However that doesn't mean that people don't hurt themselves due to the lack of oversight. What you describe is more intense than a FAA class one medical.

I remember meeting a former frequent poster on this forum who claimed to be a world class cyclist. Turned out to be a tub of lard. LOL

I take it you "met" this person but did not dive or cycle with him? If you did, you would be eating your words (and maybe putting on a little weight?) :wink:

No offense at all, but I actually guessed that this was the anwser I am going to get. Fact is however that there is a concentration of diving accidents from a certain age onwards. In assessing your own health you might not be completly objective and not aware of a health condition.
In anyway, I understand the cultural difference, but as far as I am concerned this process provides me with some peace of mind, notably as I an diving quite often alone.
Patrick

No offense at all, but I actually guessed that this was the anwser I am going to get. Fact is however that there is a concentration of diving accidents from a certain age onwards. In assessing your own health you might not be completly objective and not aware of a health condition.
In anyway, I understand the cultural difference, but as far as I am concerned this process provides me with some peace of mind, notably as I an diving quite often alone.
Patrick
But you can get this same "peace of mind" by making your appointment and getting a check up without the intervention by any government agency.

"...No offense but this doesn't exist in the US because we value our freedom from thegoverment intruding on our lives..."

Live free or die. Unfortunately sometimes we die.

I doubt it would be hard for doctors to find the BMI or weight that becomes a greater risk to go diving.
This morbidly obese person (according to the BMI) somehow managed to be the MVP of the last Super Bowl. It must have been a struggle for him, being so vastly overweight.
Von_Miller_%28Broncos%29.JPG

Back
Top Bottom