Diver Died In West Palm Beach, Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Authorities say Deborah Garrett Oshea, of Dunedin, died Saturday afternoon after she was transported to a West Palm Beach hospital.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office says Oshea spent about 10 minutes in the Atlantic Ocean, diving down about 10 feet, before she appeared to start having difficulty.
The recently certified diver surfaced after she started to have breathing problems, and rescuers performed CPR. Authorities say Oshea's diving instructor was present Saturday afternoon.

SOMETHING ELSE WENT WRONG. SHE WAS NOT SCARED DOING THIS ..LIVED ON THE BEACH. SWIMMER ALL HER LIFE. DID NOT HAVE A HEART CONDITION OR MEDICAL HISTORy. SHE DID NOT JUST HAVE A PANIC ATTACK. WE WILL FIGFURE OUT WHAT REALLy HAPPENED AND WHy THEy DIDNT SAVE HER.

she did not have a heart condition. I spoke with her before getting on the boat and felt fine. she loved the ocean. SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE SAVED HER ON THE BOAT. 10 feet?!!! Something else went wrong. where the hell was her buddy? she was very very healthy and would never panic. she could have been helped .

she did not have a heart condition. I spoke with her before getting on the boat and felt fine. she loved the ocean. SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE SAVED HER ON THE BOAT. 10 feet?!!! Something else went wrong. where the hell was her buddy? she was very very healthy and would never panic. she could have been helped .

Exactly who are you?:huh: A relative? :confused:

Me and my buddy were the only ones in the "class" The other people who were on the boat we all certified, including the victim. This was her first open water dive. I don't want to speculate on what went wrong because I wasn't involved.

All I will say is the crew of the Narcosis and the instructor were very professional and I'm sure did everything possible to avoid the outcome.

This is not the way I wanted to start my diving experience, it was a tragic accident and something I do not wish on anyone. I would think that all who read these forums and post here understand that this is an extreme sport and if you are not careful things can go south real fast.

My instrustor has been diving for 30+ years and she did an AWESOME job training me as she has 100's of other divers. Please don't speculate that it was her fault because she was with me at all times (as she should have been). We still don't know exactly what happened, the paper is saying heart attack, and she was feeling anxious as I stated in my first post.

YOU ARE WRONG! and insensitive.

WE WILL FIGFURE OUT WHAT REALLy HAPPENED AND WHy THEy DIDNT SAVE HER.

Please do keep us posted on the facts of what happened.

If you have any futher information please share it with us. Your statement has not helped in understanding what went wrong.

MAO your posts are either of great pain and loss or merely inappropriately provacative. If you are a loved one of the deceased I submit my deepest sympathies to you. I hope you will find peace.

If, on the other hand, you are an instigator and merely being provacative for entertainment you are the insensitive, callous, ugly individual. The poster to whom you wrote showed great sensativity and empathy. You could do the same. Though that poster may not have lost a loved one that day, being witness to loss of life is still a tragic, shocking, and hurtful event. Where is your sensitivity.

If you have medical evidence of what the cause of death was perhaps your definitive declarations of what the cause of death was not could be accepted as fact. Without such evidence your assertions are only painful, irresponsible accusations.

In the media and witness reports, as they have been described so far, there are several pieces of information that raise many questions about what actually took place. For example, some reports state that she was underwater only to 10 feet and others report that her dive was only 10 minutes long. It would seem that at least one of these details is probably mis-reported as it is almost unheard of for a diver to descend to only 10 feet and remain there for 10 minutes in a location such as the one the diver was diving. Even if a diver encountered difficulties equalizing they would either ascend before ten minutes passed or eventually equalize and descended.

It would be extremely unusual and pretty unexplainable why a diver would descend to 10 feet, remain there for 10 minutes and then ascend and die. The ten minute underwater time would, for all practical purposes, eliminate the possibility of the tank never having been turned on by the diver (as she would have expired much sooner) and a dive to a max of 10 feet would make the likelihood of air embolism or any other form of DCI extremely unlikely. Even contaminated air would be unlikely to result in such an immediate fatality with this dive profile.

In the media reports it also stated that CPR was performed and some comments made on this board seem to indicate that because the administration of oxygen was not mentioned some readers assume it did not take place. An ommision of facts does not necessarily equate an ommission of the action.

If the details that have been released are true, as sketchy as they are, they would seem to most likely point to one or both of two of the most likely (and common) causes of SCUBA related death: pre-existing medical condition contributing to the fatality and/or a panic response to a stressor leading to the inability to perform safe diving practices such as continuously breathing, ascending at a safe rate, accepting help from others, etc.

It is unfortunate that far too many divers and divers' families do not understand that physical fitness to participate in surface related physically challenging sports and exercise does not directly correlate to physical and mental fitness, preparedness and compatability with SCUBA. There are hidden physical conditions such as Patent Foramen Ovule which may not ever be known to a diver or his/her family until a diving accident occurs and there are stress reactions in the unnatural, underwater environment that a diver may never have previously exhibited even though highly trained to deal with stress on land. I was once witness to a seasoned military veteran and decorated police officer's meltdown underwater. Fortunately he survived but was so startled by the uncharacteristic panic reaction that overcame him in the underwater world (after 10 or so previous successful dives) that he decided diving wasn't for him.

We do not know what caused this tragedy and may never know. We could perhaps learn more about the incident if the buddy of this diver is sharing details with the authorites that are investigating the incident but even a buddy's observations (even when they are very attentive) cannot reveal any physical or psychological symptoms that the victim was experiencing which may have effected her actions.

Best wishes to all who hope to learn more from this tragedy and sincere condolenses to all parties involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom