Diver Deported in Canada, Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were diving the St Lawrence Seaway this weekend, from the Canadian side. The first day we went to the American side so had to leave Canada, clear customs in the States, do the dives and then clear Canadian Customs on return.

Customs was waiting for us at the dock, they took one of the diver’s passports and told the diver to pack their stuff, go to the motel, check out there and then proceed to the border. Once at the border they deported the diver because of a 26 year old DUI conviction in the States. Mind you this diver had already cleared customs the night before and has been to Canada many times prior.

Our boat captain told us they deported at least 4 or 5 this year from his boat for the same reason; one of them had a 35 year old DUI in the States. The captain also told us that DUI is a criminal offense in Canada and that when you cross the border on a boat and come back as we did they seem to run a complete check on all passengers.

The captain was highly pi**ed about this whole situation and said he has been talking to his politicians.

Once at the border Customs did tell this diver for a $200.00 fee they could apply for a waiver that they may or may not get, to return to Canada.

So, travelers to Canada beware, if you have any DUI arrests in States your vacation may end abruptly.

The captain also told us that DUI is a criminal offense in Canada .... they seem to run a complete check on all passengers.

It is a criminal offense here in the US as well.

Are you saying that your fellow diver had an outstanding bench warrant for failure to appear in a court to answer charges on the DUI?

That failure (it's a felony) would be something they could turn you around for, possibly even throw you in Dudley Dooright's Hoosegow.

Your post made it sound like he had gone thru the courts here in the USA and had a DUI on his record~ where he had fully gone through the process.

Is that what you were saying?

So, travelers to Canada beware, if you have any DUI arrests in States your vacation may end abruptly.

Odd, we rarely turn anyone away. It is nice to know we finally grew some cojones and are willing to stand up to people. Now if only we could do it before we let them into the country. I am less concerned about a 35 year old DUI conviction than I am of some of the others that I am sure we let in.

This happened to a diver when I was up there as well. They did NOT have any outstanding warrants. They had old convictions and have never had trouble anywhere else. It seems that this year, the folks running the port authority in Canada have taken on a mission of removing "undesirables" from their country. No outstanding warrants, violent crimes or anything that would prevent a person from entering the country, since they made it over the border. It is only when the dive charter leaves and reenters Canadian waters that some has way too much time to review the list.

The person I know was told they could apply for a temporary resident card or something like that so they would be pre-screened before they entered, if they were approved.

I'm not sure why this is suddenly happening and I find it difficult to believe, but I was there and saw it happen.

To RoatanMan,

Canada will not let you in if they know you have an OUI conviction. It can be an old conviction that was settled decades ago. I remember while George Bush was President a string of articles by Canadians proud that they could refuse entry to POTUS, because he had an OUI conviction when he was younger.

I do think it is a cheap shot Canadians are taking, but it is their right to do so.

I would be surprised if this didn't work both the same for Canadians entering the US. In previous trips I have been asked by US Customs officials if I had ever been arrested, or if I had ever been charged with an offence. Note that they did not ask if I had been convicted, only charged or arrested. At any rate, the answer was No and I was allowed to go about my business.

It's an old law that's been in the books for a while. The US has similar laws (not for DUI) concerning drug use. Any known drug user can be barred from entering the US. Charge, conviction or not

It is a criminal offense here in the US as well.

Are you saying that your fellow diver had an outstanding bench warrant for failure to appear in a court to answer charges on the DUI?

That failure (it's a felony) would be something they could turn you around for, possibly even throw you in Dudley Dooright's Hoosegow.

Your post made it sound like he had gone thru the courts here in the USA and had a DUI on his record~ where he had fully gone through the process.

Is that what you were saying?

Yes that is what I was saying, no outstanding warrants, he had fully gone through the process. It was on his record from back in the early 1980s.

Happened with us in August. Interesting that they don't pick it up as you cross the land border, just when the boat roster is submitted in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom