Diver Deaths-Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sad story. its a shame!. wonder if an onset of panic (shallow hyperventilation) and grabing had something to do with it. both divers tanks where full. hopefully more details wll come foward.

My deepest condolences to their families.

I dove in that area yesterday, I emptied my tank in 35 minutes because the flag carrier decided to swim against the current, the current was really strong, is it like that every day?

SmileMon:
I dove in that area yesterday, I emptied my tank in 35 minutes because the flag carrier decided to swim against the current, the current was really strong, is it like that every day?

No... It varies from little to no current to strong 2-3 kts. It is not wise to swim against the current when it's strong. I would find a different buddy if they insisted on that.

Courtneyf82:
That sucks, tangled in rope? I'm sharpening my knife as we speak, I never leave shore without it
What, you don't think EMT shears will cut a rope?

It's an unfortunate accident. While I'm not sure having a BCD would have generated a different outcome in this case, it's an important piece of equipment if you're drifting in a strong current or feel you would be floating on the surface for some time before a boat will pick you up.

MoonWrasse:
What, you don't think EMT shears will cut a rope?

It's an unfortunate accident. While I'm not sure having a BCD would have generated a different outcome in this case, it's an important piece of equipment if you're drifting in a strong current or feel you would be floating on the surface for some time before a boat will pick you up.
according to someone on the boat where the recovery was made... They were both wearing BCD's - They didn't know why the paper reporeted it that way.

Well, something happened (or a series of events) to end in the deaths of TWO divers in the same place and time. The report of "rope" entanglement gives me the most pause...

Between the boat bobbing around and the current moving, the diver is the lightweight in this setup. Just like a piece of bait on a line. The forces involved will leave a diver with little control. Attaching a line to a moving bulldozer may give a similar experience. This is why we (safely) drift dive.

You can bet that the Delta Splashdown crew did an outstanding job with this. I've been with them, and they are a model of professional operation.

This happend a day after may daughter Ellen and I saw two under-equipped people head into Blue Springs, FL. They had to ask my kid, age 17, how to set up the gear. Their equipment was a mixture of old stuff, and Wal-Mart's latest. No wetsuits. I said a prayer for that duo.

How can we avoid similar occurrences? Our sport has a developed system of training and safety. We know it can be bypassed.

From what I read here, I'll make an educated guess.

Rope, panic, reg out, second diver reg out, entanglement, stop.

Its sad... I didn't know them but feel sorrow as if they were my friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom