Diver Deaths-Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad to hear. I feel for the family/friends, especially the boat driver.
Feeling guilty for someone's death, even if unwarranted, carries a heavy burden.

Very sad. I am sure there is more to this story than is in the news release.

Since the discoverer of the 2 bodies is a SB member. Perhaps he can shed a little more light on the subject. Although, he just found the bodies...

It sounds like the 2 divers (if we can call them that) were on their own boat? They were on the surface at one point, and a rescue attempt from another private boat. 1 of them wasn't wearing a BCD. It doesn't sound like it is really a "diving related" accident, but a tragedy none the less.

My wife and I were diving yesterday about 10 miles due North from this area, Palm Beach Breaker's Reef, with a professional charter. We had 2 good DRIFT dives, the Gulfstream is in very close and the current heads North @ 2-3 knots. While submerged we encountered an anchored boat over the reef. Divers were attempting to dive from this boat. The charter Capts. were not pleased. In that current if you lose the line you will not make it back unless you can swim like Tarzan. A day for foolishness.

Old Diver:
My wife and I were diving yesterday about 10 miles due North from this area, Palm Beach Breaker's Reef, with a professional charter. We had 2 good DRIFT dives, the Gulfstream is in very close and the current heads North @ 2-3 knots. While submerged we encountered an anchored boat over the reef. Divers were attempting to dive from this boat. The charter Capts. were not pleased. In that current if you lose the line you will not make it back unless you can swim like Tarzan. A day for foolishness.
You CAN NOT do an "out and back" in this area. You are absolutely correct. I have gone diving in this area almost 80 dives in the last year. People ALWAYS drift dive out there, the current is WAY to strong on an average day - to do an "out and back" (Anchor the boat, swim around, and go back to the boat) - For those reading this thread, who are wondering...

Also... The current doesn't ALWAYS go North @ 2-3 Kts. It can vary in speed to almost nothing and can sometimes go South as well.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply a constant North drift, just that was the case yesterday. The Gulfstream has moved in closer in the last week according to the charter Capts. I do know that it was ripping along . If you wanted to take a picture of something on the bottom, you had to get it on the first pass. My first scuba instructor in 1969 had his boat sink suddenly, grabbed his wetsuit and a gallon jug of water. They picked him up off Coco only because of a NASA manned launch, very lucky.

That sucks, tangled in rope? I'm sharpening my knife as we speak, I never leave shore without it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom