Diver Death Virginia Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iknee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sad news. My condolences.

Man medevaced off VB coast dies Updated: 24 minutes ago

A man who was medevaced off a commercial diving vessel ,10 miles east of Rudee Inlet Saturday morning,has died at a local hospital.

Around 10:30 a.m. the captain of the commercial diving vessel Miss Lindsey contacted Coast Guard watchstanders reporting a man,who was around 50-years-old,became unconscious approximately 10 minutes in to a dive.

The Coast Guard responded with a 45-foot Response boat. A boat crew from from the Virginia Beach Fire Department also responded with a medic on board while the Miss Lindsey headed toward the shore. The crew of the Miss Lindsey administered CPR, according to a press release from the Coast Guard.

The Coast Guard response boat met with the Miss Lindsey and the diver was transferred to the Coast Guard vessel along with a medic who was on board.

The diver was taken to the Rudee Inlet fishing center where he was taken by ambulance to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital. He was pronounced deceased a short time later at the hospital,according to a Coast Guard spokesman.

The Coast Guard is investigating the incident but have not released any additional details on what caused the man to become unconscious during the dive.

Coast Guard officials have not released the man's name or where he was from.

Stay with WAVY.com and Wavy News 10 on air for more details on this story as they become available.

I think that the Miss Lindsey is out of Lynn Haven Dive Center.

You are correct. That is where I was certified. I am sure they did everything possible to save the victim.

God bless and RIP KK.

I was diving with Kevin yesterday as part of a 3 man team, he's been my dive buddy for the last 3 seasons. Good advanced diver with great training, multiple redundancy for buoyancy and diving doubles with a bail out bottle, so he had plenty of gas. He was jumping last/3rd and was to meet us at the achor at 60 ft. ........Never showed, I figured he had something that was not right and called the dive. I was leading a fairly new diver (my GF) and Kevin told me to not worry about him he was training/practising for a deep dive in Hatteras next weekend.

From what I heard..............He had issues within a minute of hitting the water, possibly never made the hang bar at 15', we will just never know. Surfaced, shouting he could not find his regulator and grabbed a line, then let go without inflating anything and shot to the bottom where he was recovered within a minute by the DM whom brought him up and started administering CPR immediately.

No one knows exactly what happened. EVERYTHING WAS DONE THAT COULD POSSIBLY BE DONE. We even had a doctor on board that was diving with us. His button was pushed by the Big guy upstairs and it was time to go.........

I am proud to have known him, spent time with him and called him a friend. I will miss ya Brotha!:(

Last edited:
The latest news from my understanding is:

"The ER Dr. On the boat said he either had a massive stroke or heart attack. The report was he was weak on his left side & 1 eye was dilated. That is why it's thought he didn't inflate his BC. They said they threw him a rope and he grabbed it funny."

Rest in peace to a fellow diver. :(

He was a well trained and seasoned diver. Hard to imagine this happened. Great guy, and he will be missed by many.

I didn't know him, but my prayers are for his friends and family!

---------- Post added ----------

The Virginian-Pilot
© June 11, 2012
VIRGINIA BEACH
The Coast Guard has released the name of a man who died after being evacuated from a commercial diving boat off Rudee Inlet on Saturday.
Kevin Kraemer, 55, lost consciousness about 10 minutes into a dive, according to the Coast Guard. The captain of the boat contacted the Coast Guard about 10:30 a.m.
The Virginia Beach Fire Department and EMS also went to the scene, about 10 miles east of Rudee Inlet. Kraemer, of Virginia Beach, was taken by the Coast Guard to shore and then to a hospital.
The incident remains under investigation.

Services are to be held at Smith and Williams at Baxter and Princess Anne between 6-8 on Thursday 6/14. Funeral will be on friday (same place) 10 am.

If anyone has pictures of Kevin please forward them to me and we will try to include them in the service.

Thanks to everyone and dive safe. Donations are to be sent to The Wounded Warriors care of Kevin Kraemer.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Kevin Kraemer on the wreck Lillian Luckenbach by Andy Beaton.jpg
    Kevin Kraemer on the wreck Lillian Luckenbach by Andy Beaton.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,913
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom