Diver Death near Sparrow Island (vicinity of Lillie Parsons) - Brockville Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I know there was no difficulty with equipment. The same buddy team dove at noon that day on the musky and they had no problems. He still had plenty of air and the air was on. Between dives we had a corn roast and sat around talking and again there was no mention of any problems. We do know that he had been certified for two years but did not have a lot of dives and the dives he did have were mainly down south which is night and day from diving in the St Lawrence River!! I'm assuming the current played an issue as Ayisha mentioned there is quite a current there and if you are not accustomed to it I can see how a diver would panic.

I was on the boat last Wednesday that the diving death occured on. Not a pleasant feeling coming back from a great dive to find out someone you spent the whole day with died while you were in the water. From what his buddy told us the dive itself was 5 minutes from when they jumped in the water to when he surfaced. They went down the line for the Lillie and everything was fine. He got an Ok before they left the line and started drifting. He got a couple more OK's from his buddy and the next time he turned to check him out he was floating without his reg. He swam right over and put the reg back in but there was no fight or struggle and his eyes were unmoving. They were only at 40 feet and they had just barely made it to the bow of the wreck. He immediately inflated his BC and brought his buddy up and the boat was only 200 feet from them. He waved the boat over and a fellow diver jumped in and began CPR while a second dive boat was called over by radio to come and get the diver and bring him to shore as all the divers from first boat were all still in the water except for two. It appeared to those that witnessed the diver on the surface and on the back platform that he embolised because there was blood coming from his eyes, ears, nose and mouth as well as froth from the mouth.

What I would love divers to learn from this is...Please when your buddy asks you if you are OK don't say yes unless you are actually OK. There is no way for your buddy to know you need help or you need to stop and regroup if you don't tell them. I would rather cut my dive short because you don't feel right then have the above happen to you. Diving is a great sport but panicking will make the most experienced diver a begginer if they don't stop and think.

You've made a great point about the importance of communicating even minor distress or uncertainty to one's buddy and not reflexively mirroring an "ok" sign.

Pre-dive, some buddies need to be encouraged that, any time they are unsure of themselves, they should feel free to hold their hand up to signal "stop" and then sort things out, calm down or decide how to procede.

I think divers have a tendency to rush their self-assessments and communications, but they'll be much more likely to sort things out if they stop and face their buddy and not downplay what's going on within themselves.

In this case, based on your report, I don't see any evidence of panic or any warning signs of a problem. Just bringing the unconscious diver to the surface could cause lung expansion injury and the some of the signs you report.

Otherwise, if you were speaking generally about "panicking", I fully agree.

So far, incapacitation from a medical issue appears plausible.

As far as I know there was no difficulty with equipment. The same buddy team dove at noon that day on the musky and they had no problems. He still had plenty of air and the air was on. Between dives we had a corn roast and sat around talking and again there was no mention of any problems. We do know that he had been certified for two years but did not have a lot of dives and the dives he did have were mainly down south which is night and day from diving in the St Lawrence River!! I'm assuming the current played an issue as Ayisha mentioned there is quite a current there and if you are not accustomed to it I can see how a diver would panic.

Extreme exertion while struggling against current can certainly precipitate a medical issue leading to cardiac arrest. Anxiety could worsen the issue, but there's no evidence of panic at this point, is there?

Dave C

Last edited:
A couple of points:
A google search reveals that the deceased diver was an experienced ju-jitsu instructor. He is likely to have been very fit.

dojoinfo.com
dojoinfo.com
Cyberpresse - Nécrologie

The current at the Lillie Parsons dive site is usually in the 1 to 2 knot range and averages about 1.5 knots. It can be higher but that only occurs in the spring (April/May). Most divers grossly overestimate current, especially new divers. "Ripping" is not a valid description as it only indicates that the current is stronger than the person has experienced before.

The Muscallonge dive site has similar current if not slightly higher. It is also deeper than the Lillie Parsons as the Muskie lies in 90 feet of water while the Lillie ranges between 30 and 75 feet.

The Muscallonge dive site has similar current if not slightly higher.

That hasn't been my experience on the Muskie itself. Coming down the mooring line near the surface, perhaps. Current anywhere on the Lillie seems much stronger than on the Muskie.

Sad news about the diver. Thanks for posting, girlydiver.

As someone who was certified in Jamaica and just started diving in the area, it is definitely different. I'm going through my AOW certification here because stories friends have told me and I've read on here made me realize I need an instructor present to point out the things I'm not used it.

First day of diving was tough. More gear. More weight. Crappy viz. Cold water. A lot harder to get buoyancy under control when you have 14mm of neoprene. Even though I knew I'd have to add more air at depth I never anticipated how much more air.

I'm sorry to hear someone died but I'm thankful everyone here is talking about it. It was conversations like this that made me get training here before I go diving with friends.

In this case, based on your report, I don't see any evidence of panic or any warning signs of a problem. Just bringing the unconscious diver to the surface could cause lung expansion injury and the some of the signs you report.

Dave C[/QUOTE]

When we questioned the buddy after we asked him if he saw any blood when he was trying to put the regulator back in he said "yes in his eyes". That is why we think he panicked, spit out his reg and shot to the surface before his buddy brought him up. It only takes approximately 4 feet of ascent while holding your breath for you to embolise. When he turned to check on him and noticed the reg out he also noticed his buddy was slightly higher than him. Whatever really happened we will never know!!

So the assumption is that the diver panicked enough to ascend far enough and fast enough to embolise but then had the good sense to let enough air of of his BC to remain neutral so he could float in the water column?
...and the next time he turned to check him out he was floating without his reg...
I cannot confirm the 4 foot requirement to embolise, but I would speculate that a truly panicked diver would take more than 4 feet to stop ascending to regain control (and they would have to stop very abruptly so they could still remain neutral per the statement that the diver was found floating mid-water column).

... I cannot confirm the 4 foot requirement to embolise, but I would speculate that a truly panicked diver would take more than 4 feet to stop ascending to regain control (and they would have to stop very abruptly so they could still remain neutral per the statement that the diver was found floating mid-water column).

There was a recorded case of AGE for a diver repairing the prop on a sailboat in less than 6 feet of water. I don't think it would take very much expansion at all to force gas bubbles into your bloodstream.

I also doubt he panicked. AGE could have resulted from simple breath holding or even a medical condition like a PFO. He likely would not have had any warning and simply blacked out.

Finally, newer divers often swim negative, especially in current.

If there is a lesson in this, it's a reminder to never hold your breath and that maybe equipment should evolve so that you don't drown if you become unconscious.

dave4868:

girlydiver:
When we questioned the buddy after we asked him if he saw any blood when he was trying to put the regulator back in he said "yes in his eyes". That is why we think he panicked, spit out his reg and shot to the surface before his buddy brought him up. It only takes approximately 4 feet of ascent while holding your breath for you to embolise. When he turned to check on him and noticed the reg out he also noticed his buddy was slightly higher than him. Whatever really happened we will never know!!

Thank you for providing this last, possibly key, information about the buddy seeing blood "in" the victim diver's "eyes" at depth. It's hard to say exactly what this signifies, but is it still reasonable to conclude that barotrauma occurred prior to incapacitation? Are there other possibilities? I don't know, I'm just asking. :shakehead:

We might ask, when the victim was found at depth, was this evidence of blood in his eyes possibly related to choking and drowning at depth and not arterial gas embolism (AGE)? Was the blood that was seen on the victim when brought to the surface related to drowning or to embolism? Or was it related possibly to a separate event of barotrauma that might have occurred when the unconscious victim was brought to the surface?

In this case, we really can't surmise that there was an ascent by the victim prior becoming incapacitated, can we?

Although it's undoubtedly a sensitive issue for those involved in this incident, this last bit of information about the "blood" in the victim's "eyes" at depth begs the question of "how often did the buddies check on each other?" or "what was the window of time between the last 'ok' and the finding of the incapacitated buddy"? That might shed some light on whether the victim had time to ascend far enough from 40' to have barotrauma. You would then be stuck with the question of how he got back down close to the other diver near 40' with a slight current blowing and whether he would have been able to do it on his own power.

I'm not suggesting that any inquiry or judgment be made about the buddy, as that could add to his trauma. I'm sure this is hard for him to deal with as it is.

Needless to say, how frequently a diver should check on his buddy will, of course, vary with conditions, primarily visibility and current. It will also vary with the abilities and/or needs of the divers.

When I'm actually doing a "buddy dive" (in my local conditions of 10-20' vis and minimal current), I'll look at my buddy about every ten seconds and sometimes more frequently if he's not keeping abreast or if he's approaching the limits of the vis. Of course, I'll slow down or wait or suggest he swim abreast or closer, but unfortunately, some divers tend to follow directly behind the leader making it harder to keep track of them.

My usual buddies are experienced and we generally don't need such close watching, but when I'm with unknown or new divers, I definitely try to avoid buddy separation since that can quickly become a high-risk situation for them.

Regarding barotrauma on ascent, I believe it should be clarified that breath-holding while ascending 4 feet has the potential to cause barotrauma if it occurs in very shallow water and if the lungs were quite full to start with. It's less likely to cause a problem in deeper water holding less than a full breath.

So the assumption is that the diver panicked enough to ascend far enough and fast enough to embolise but then had the good sense to let enough air of of his BC to remain neutral so he could float in the water column? I cannot confirm the 4 foot requirement to embolise, but I would speculate that a truly panicked diver would take more than 4 feet to stop ascending to regain control (and they would have to stop very abruptly so they could still remain neutral per the statement that the diver was found floating mid-water column).

It's still a somewhat confusing account from what we've heard, but it's great to have the details we've been given. You're right, some things are still unclear at this point, such as:
girlydiver:
He got an Ok before they left the line and started drifting. He got a couple more OK's from his buddy and the next time he turned to check him out he was floating without his reg. He swam right over and put the reg back in but there was no fight or struggle and his eyes were unmoving. They were only at 40 feet and they had just barely made it to the bow of the wreck.
From this we might deduce that there was no ascent, since it sounds like the victim was neutral ("floating"), as you point out.

No doubt, some of the details need clarification.

It would help to know how much time transpired between the last "ok" and finding the victim.

There was a recorded case of AGE for a diver repairing the prop on a sailboat in less than 6 feet of water. I don't think it would take very much expansion at all to force gas bubbles into your bloodstream.

I think I read that a relatively small decrease in ambient pressure can cause barotrauma in an already fully inflated lung while holding one's breath, something like 2 psi, IIRC. Since pressure changes are greater in shallower water, the situation could become traumatic if one is ascending while straining, lifting or holding something underwater. That might lead one to hold a deep breath in during the ascent. The ascent may be unintended or unnoticed, too.

I also doubt he panicked. AGE could have resulted from simple breath holding or even a medical condition like a PFO. He likely would not have had any warning and simply blacked out.

Finally, newer divers often swim negative, especially in current.

If there is a lesson in this, it's a reminder to never hold your breath and that maybe equipment should evolve so that you don't drown if you become unconscious.

The confusing part is that we have some fairly reliable-sounding reports of a bloody discharge. Was it from drowning or barotrauma?

To be caused by "simple breath holding" at a depth of 40' would require substantial ascent and a full breath before it would cause barotrauma, I think.

I hope we can get more information and I appreciate all that girlydiver has provided.

Dave C

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom