Diver Death In S. Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Cid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We heard a call yesterday while enroute to a dive site to the coast guard about a diver who had no pulse at the surface. The chopper was sent out and apparently was unable to revive the victim. Does anyone have information on this one? Are there any lessons to be learned from this one or was it an act of nature?

Prayers for the family please....

Here's a link.

Diver Dies|ABC News 4

Diver Dies posted 5:40 pm Sat July 05, 2008 - Edisto Island, SC

Authorities say a man scuba diving off the coast of Charleston died yesterday morning. They say 45 year old Tim Edwards was spear fishing thirty miles east of Edisto Island. An autopsy showed Edwards died of an air embolism, or having too much air in his bloodstream.

The Coast Guard found Edwards and took him to MUSC where he was pronounced dead.

My heart goes out to the family. I've been to Edisto before and it's a small pretty tight knit community. I'm sure the community is feeling his lose. They will be in my prayers today.

This one gives a little more info: Charleston, SC Latest Local News: Diving accident kills Mt. P. man At least we know that he was not on a solo boat or even solo diving - altho spearfishing and following game has got to be as distracting as me following my camera. All too easy to get separated from the buddy, then if something goes wrong?! One possibility for an embolism would be OOA, perhaps breath holding on CESA? We'll probly never know here, so that would be my best suggestion to possibly learn from this.
Diving accident kills Mt. P. man
The Post and Courier, Sunday, July 6, 2008, BY TONY BARTELME

An avid scuba diver from Mount Pleasant died Friday while spearfishing off Charleston, officials said Saturday.

An autopsy performed Saturday found that Tim Edwards, 45, likely died of an air or gas embolism, a condition that can happen when divers rise too quickly, Charleston County Deputy Coroner Bobbi Jo O'Neal said. Edwards was an electrician.

Edwards and eight others aboard the 36-foot Rockville-based Muntu Too were about 30 miles off the coast Friday, the Coast Guard reported.

Edwards was spearfishing with a friend when they got separated, Coast Guard Petty Officer Mark Henricksen said. "The next time they saw him was on the surface."

A Coast Guard helicopter based in Charleston raced to the scene and airlifted Edwards to the Medical University of South Carolina.

He was pronounced dead later Friday morning, O'Neal said.

Investigators weren't sure how Edwards ran into trouble and were hoping a diving computer might offer some clues, Henricksen said.

The boat was a recreational dive boat registered to Anthony Black, said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Eric King. King said diving fatalities are rare off the South Carolina coast compared to other areas of the Southeast.

My condolences to the family on their loss. Always hate it when we loose one of our own.

SC scuba diver dies while spearfishing

CHARLESTON, SC (AP) - A scuba diver from Mount Pleasant likely died of a condition that can occur when divers rise too quickly.

Forty-five-year-old Tim Edwards died Friday while spearfishing off Charleston. Charleston County Coroner Bobbi Jo O'Neal told The Post and Courier of Charleston that an autopsy performed Saturday showed the avid scuba diver likely died of an air or gas embolism. That condition can occur when diver rise too quickly.

The Coast Guard said Edwards and eight others were about 30 miles off the coast.

A Coast Guard helicopter based in Charleston airlifted Edwards to the Medical University of South Carolina, where he was pronounced dead.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

My prayers go out to his family and friends. It's another hard loss for our dive community.

Be safe out there!

Carolyn:sharks:

Last edited:
Very sad indeed. Here is the link to the thread on Charleston Diving. Very nice folks on that board. It was through reading those guys and asking some questions on CD that gave me the courage to get certified.

Tim Edwards - Charleston Diving

Last edited:
Tragic news. My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom