Diver Death in Cozumel 24 February 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whippo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved from Rough conditions today down south: dive boat sank

We heard about that but it was overshadowed by a death down in Cozumel today. I was not on the boat of the accident, but on a sister boat of the same company. Our boat was first over to their boat, he was being worked on. Any other details I have would be hear say.

Last edited by a moderator:
t was overshadowed by a death down in Cozumel today.
Wow, bad day turns worse. Hadn't heard about that.

Direct from Dr. Piccolo "Heart attack on the surface", not diving related.

Direct from Dr. Piccolo "Heart attack on the surface", not diving related.
Quoting on this new system is tricky, but I guess you are talking about this...
it was overshadowed by a death down in Cozumel today
Wow, bad day turns worse. Hadn't heard about that.
Why not post the whole story, preferably on Accidents forum, even tho medically related.

Hello all. I am a close friend of the family of the man who passed away. Does anyone have a contact of anyone who was on the dive boat with him? I am here with his daughter and wife and they would love to know what happened in his last moments. Please contact me with any info at Chelsiejackson223@gmail.com. Thank you so much for any information .

There are reports appearing on the web stating that emergency assistance was delayed. I don't understand why hotel security would not allow emergency responders to enter?

What does it mean that the "police cannot carry out functions as first responders under the new system of criminal justice." Can someone explain this?

My sympathies for the family.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k9298480-Diving_Fatality-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Diving Fatality

Feb 26, 2016, 6:53 AM

On Tuesday, it is reported that am American diver died while diving from the Iberostar. The sad thing is that medical help was delayed by hotel security and by the time a private ambulance arrived , nothing could be done.

Not uncommon for local resorts to delay emergency responders. I remember some time ago when a resort had a fire, firefighters were not allowed to enter until police intervened which resulted in a much more serious situation.

http://thefulano.space/forum/showthread.php?tid=20034

American dies while diving in Cozumel

Today, 12:55 AM
Fulano

COZUMEL, Quintana Roo - An American around 65 years of age died Tuesday morning while diving on the reefs in the south part of Isla de las Golondrinas.

A call was made to the 066 emergency number of the event and police patrol vehicle 7618 was mobilized to the hotel Iberostar at 11:16AM.

José Antonio Guillén Jiménez, a security guard at the hotel had instruction from the hotel directors to not permit the passage of authorities because the police cannot carry out functions as first responders under the new system of criminal justice.

An ambulance from a private clinic arrived, but when the paramedics attended to the victim, he had died.

The boat, with registration number 236403914-4 in which the diver was brought to the diving area belonged to the Dive Paradise business, and it tied up at the hotel pier.

And here is the article with the auto-translation from Spanish but it says that he died from "decompression while snorkeling" - so something is wrong with the translation or the reporting (or both!)

http://sipse.com/novedades/muerte-turista-snorkel-cozumel-ahogado-tulum-muerto-policia-turismo-semefo-buceo-turista-ahogado-193273.html

American tourist dies while snorkeling in Cozumel

Apparently he suffered a decompression that cost him his life.

Yesterday Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:26

Gustavo Villegas / SIPSE

COZUMEL, Q. Roo.- A US about 65 years old died Tuesday morning after descompresionarse while diving on the reefs of the southern Island of the Swallows area.

066 emergency line was informed of these facts so the patrol address 7618 Public Safety to the hotel Iberostar at 11:16 am mobilized.

Jose Antonio Guillen Jimenez, security agent hosting center had instructions to managers of the hotel not to allow passage to the authorities so that the military could not carry out their functions "First Responder" under the scheme of new system Criminal Justice.

The ambulance of a private clinic entered the place, but when paramedics attended the victim was already dead.

The boat with registration 236403914-4 where the diver was taken to the diving area belongs to the company Dive Paradise, same as docked at the pier of the accommodation center.

Forensic Medical Service personnel conducted a survey of tourist drowned.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved from Rough conditions today down south: dive boat sank

We heard about that but it was overshadowed by a death down in Cozumel today. I was not on the boat of the accident, but on a sister boat of the same company. Our boat was first over to their boat, he was being worked on. Any other details I have would be hear say.

The diver went into cardiac arrest at 40 feet. He made it to the boat, but had to be pulled on board. CPR was not successful. On another note, rumor of note not publicized there that the same week a female diver went missing and has not been found. I do not know the details of this event.

On another note, rumor of note not publicized there that the same week a female diver went missing and has not been found. I do not know the details of this event.

See the "Lost diver...." post about two posts below this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom