Diver Death in Cozumel 20/07/2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zman96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw on El Policiaco De Cozumel's facebook page that a diver passed away today while diving. Prayers to the family and the other people on the boat who had to witness that horrible event.

As posted, first the English tranlation version:

A few moments ago...Tourist Dead Aboard Ambulance, had suffered from people and not reached to get to the hospital.A tourist apparently descompresionada passed away in the interior of an ambulance when I was taken for urgency to a hospital, unfortunately despite the efforts of the paramedics did not reached to arrive at the hospital alive and passed away in the journey of the international pier towards the camera hiperbarica.Paramedics of the red cross came to a call for help, because apparently a tourist had suffered from a descomprensión when performed activities of diving with the craft aldora 4, for which I was taken to the nearest pier, where it was collected by The Paramedics and taken to a hospital in code red, however to a mile from the hospital, unfortunately the tourist of 60 years or so, had already passed away.After the death, became part of the authorities miniteriales so that will take knowledge of death. The Occisa was identified as Patricia Thomas of 65 years, originally from the United States.

And the original -

Hace unos momentos…TURISTA MUERTA A BORDO DE AMBULANCIA, HABÍA SUFRIDO DESCOMPRESIÓN Y NO ALCANZÓ A LLEGAR AL HOSPITAL.Una turista al parecer descompresionada falleció en el interior de una ambulancia cuando era llevada de urgencia a un hospital, desafortunadamente pese a los esfuerzos de los paramédicos no alcanzó a llegar con vida al hospital y falleció en el trayecto del muelle internacional hacia la cámara hiperbarica.Paramédicos de la Cruz Roja acudieron a un llamado de auxilio, ya que al parecer una turista había sufrido una descomprensión cuando realizaba actividades de buceo con la embarcación Aldora 4, por lo que fue llevada al muelle más cercano, en donde fue recogida por los paramédicos y llevada al hospital en código rojo, sin embargo a un kilómetro del hospital, lamentablemente la turista de 60 años aproximadamente, ya había fallecido.Tras el fallecimiento, se dio parte de las autoridades miniteriales para que tomarán conocimiento del deceso. La occisa fue identificada como Patricia Thomas de 65 años, originaria de los Estados Unidos.

If the diver was on an Aldora boat, perhaps we will actually get the real story about what happened (was it a medical death, or a dive accident?)

My prayers to the family and witnesses.

If the diver was on an Aldora boat, perhaps we will actually get the real story about what happened (was it a medical death, or a dive accident?)

My prayers to the family and witnesses.

Dave probably can't talk about it in here.

At least he did not go missing. Some of the deaths in recent years involve a diver who goes missing at some point during the dive. How that happened is never discussed by the other divers. After some time the inevitable conclusion cannot be dismissed yet there is no body for the family to bury. None of these events are good but my belief is that in some way it is worse when the person is never recovered.

Dave probably can't talk about it in here.
Might depend on what happened. But we have a lot of Aldora divers, so the story might trickle in more than the wild guesses after other accidents b

Yes, it was on an Aldora Boat. Dario was the DM who is the best of our best and she and her husband were repetitive dive customers. WE suspect medical problems based on Dario's report but do not know anything for sure at this time. Obviously we are all in shock but cannot say anything more until we know more. As always we will be perfectly open with this board.Dave DillehayAldora Divers

---------- Post added July 20th, 2015 at 07:15 PM ----------

PS Out of respect for the family I will not post many details unless released by them

Last edited:
Dario is, indeed, the best of the best, and he and her husband made an heroic effort to save her. It certainly appeared to be a medical problem, and Dario was with her from the time she indicated a problem until they left in the ambulance.

A shout out of thanks to a doctor from a Scuba Tony boat who had cancelled his second dive already and came to assist at the beach.

Big hugs and condolences out to Chris, who never hesitated in helping Dario try to save her. I cannot imagine what he's feeling now. :(

A sad day in Cozumel. My best to her family.

My sincerest condolences and prayers with the family and the staff of Aldora and all who were a part of the rescue effort.

Just a note to newbies to Cozumel and the board - the Cozumel newspapers are nothing more than gossip rags with not an ounce of due diligence or fact checking done prior to publishing - so just about all fatalities involving a victim who had been diving are written up by the newspaper as "decompression" - they really don't have a clue and they certainly are not doctors so do not know the true cause. So please, please take the newspaper reports here with a grain of salt.

It does sound like a medical issue here. Again, my condolences, sympathies and prayers to all involved.

Back
Top Bottom