Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fosterboxermom: In this case, "AGE" is being used as an abbreviation.

AGE = Arterial Gas Embolism.

Best wishes.

Edit: Oooops, sorry, that was already answered.

The reason I jumped to the conclusion that AGE meant the age of someone is because there is an A-hole Blogger out there that is keeping track of this board and blogging about it and he is saying "No longer is it the bends, burst lungs or inexperience that is killing divers, it is the health of the person BEFORE they enter the water. Heart Attacks, especially in divers over the age of 50, is the most common factor in diver fatalities.

So that is why I naturally assumed AGE meant age. Sorry I am not as stupid as I appear sometimes. :dork2:

I require a minumum of 10 dives post OW for my OW students to do AOW. I may require more from people I don't know or from other agencies whose OW standards are not as strict as ours and min

Thank you Jim. This is a refreshing approach. I believe there is an unwritten rule at certifying shops, "get em while you can" if they have the opportunity to sell a course, they aren't going to give the student a chance to go somewhere else to get that cert.

Fosterboxermom first off, Iam sorry to hear of your loss my condolences go out to you and his family.
I have read some of the articles concerning the deaths and the ignorance of some dive operators in the Caymans.(Thanks to you) There does seem to be enough evidence that the all mighty dollar is the main concern and not the clients safety. I think everyone who dives owes it to our sport to research and police the practices of dive operators. We all know that this is a fun yet dangerous sport not to be taken lightly. Safety precautions is what we rely on to make it safe. And personally to here some of the flipit attitudes toward recommended safety precautions widely accepted, is enough to force me to take my business elsewhere. As all divers should when they feel there safety is not the first concern. So thank you for bringing this to my attention.

In advance, I apologise for my first post being on such a sensitive subject. I am not a troll, nor am I seeking political advantage. What I have seen here is nothing less than a pathetic attempt at blame-hauling from people that are NOT DIRECTLY involved in the incident.

My condolences go to the family of the bereaved, but PLEASE, this is turning into a Kangaroo Court of who/when/why/where etc.....

And the O.P. is doing nothing to make sure there is a balanced outcome...

I have one request: Fosterboxer thingy...... Come forward and declare who you really are, because I sure as hell will make sure I am not on the same boat as you..... (And just because I don't declare my qualifications, doesn't mean I am not competent....)

This whole thread has turned into a pathetic witch hunt. I am available by PM just before people claim this is an attempt to provoke trouble.........

:dork2: Sorry I am not as stupid as I appear sometimes.

Uh huh....

But quick to criticize.........

You have no idea on so much......

In advance, I apologise for my first post being on such a sensitive subject. I am not a troll, nor am I seeking political advantage. What I have seen here is nothing less than a pathetic attempt at blame-hauling from people that are NOT DIRECTLY involved in the incident.

According to the information available, there is plenty of blame to go around, including at least some with the deceased. However given the divers certification levels (known at the dive shop) and the concerns of the divers before the dive (known to the DM), taking the group on a dive they were clearly not qualified for places a good portion of the blame on the DM and Dive Op.

If you have additional information, it would certainly be welcome.

Terry

According to the information available, there is plenty of blame to go around, including at least some with the deceased. However given the divers certification levels (known at the dive shop) and the concerns of the divers before the dive (known to the DM), taking the group on a dive they were clearly not qualified for, placing a good portion of the blame on the DM and Dive Op seems appropriate.

If you have additional information, it would certainly be welcome.

Terry

OK, let's get this down to absolute essential facts.... I live here and I dive here, but I was not on that particular charter... So, I was not there.. Neither were the majority of people reading this thread.. (And that is my point),

Web Monkey: Have you ever been diving here? The reason for the question is not that of belittlement, but more of an understanding: the usual dive charter for ALL dive operators on the island is a wall dive (usually max depth as briefed by the boat captain) followed by a shallow dive, typically 60' max....

Where do you want to draw the line?

Web Monkey: Have you ever been diving here? The reason for the question is not that of belittlement, but more of an understanding: the usual dive charter for ALL dive operators on the island is a wall dive (usually max depth as briefed by the boat captain) followed by a shallow dive, typically 60' max....

Not only have I been there, I used that dive op and that boat a couple of months earlier, with almost exactly the same assortment of divers, for what would have been exactly those two dives.

I understand that they all do a wall and a reef, but the reason baffles me. I specifically told them I had a very new diver with me and didn't want the 100' wall dive, but was told the same thing you just said " we do it all the time".

When I told the DM we would not be getting out of the boat if he took us to the wall, he finally agreed to let us do the reef twice. The other brand-new diver (not mine) was very relieved when he heard this.

So yes, I've been there.

Terry

OK, let's get this down to absolute essential facts.... I live here and I dive here, but I was not on that particular charter... So, I was not there.. Neither were the majority of people reading this thread.. (And that is my point),

You've not even had enough to to read the entire thread and the profiles of most of the major players, yet you've formed some rather concrete opinions. I recommend that you sit back, complete your profile, and read the thread before others on the board start assuming that you are a toll or a sock puppet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom