Diver Death in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, right. This might surprise you, I hope you're sitting down, people on the Internet say all kinds of things and you can't always believe them.:eyebrow:

:shocked2:

Say it isn't so!

In other words, YOU could be two different people on this board? You could be Mathew, or the man in the moon, or a friend of mathew's, or the Dive Op. :shocked2:

It could be that I'm really Pilot Fish. :wink:

The point is, DM or DG, no matter, he never should have taken anyone in that group to 100 ft and never should have split the group. We all stay at 60 ft. Who in that group was going to object to that?

The one that wanted to go to 100'?

The point is, DM or DG, no matter, he never should have taken anyone in that group to 100 ft and never should have split the group. We all stay at 60 ft. Who in that group was going to object to that?

Is there anything to see at 60 feet or are we all straining our eyes to see the coral 40 feet below?

fosterboxermom - it has already been said, but I will echo the words that you didn't leave him there. For you own well being I hope you can come to terms with this ... from second hand sources it sounds like the DM is pretty beaten up over this whole thing and I'm sure he is asking himself what he could have done differently (a lot of things) - however that is his cross to bear - not yours. A few posters have indicated they would be willing to attempt a rescue to that depth but keep in mind that these are extrordinary divers with a pile of experience that have come to terms with what they are willing and not willing to do.

I was talking to my DM class last night about this incident and asked them what they would have done in that situation. One of the most interesting comments came from one candidate who is full cave, CCR certified, and hypoxic trimix certified with several dozen dives in the 275-300' range. His answer - he wasn't going below 120' in that situation. Please realize that at the point that Matthew went missing - you were powerless to help.

The one that wanted to go to 100'?

Do you think for one minute that he would have gone to 100 ft if the DM had told him not to and kept the whole group at 60 ft? I strongly doubt it.

You are right we all have to live with it. Especially Pam and Matthew. They are the ones mostly effected by Brendan's death, excluding the families of Brendan and Pam.

I just want to be as prepared as possible if EVER this situation occurs again. I know for one. I will insist the dive be aborted at the very least and a search and rescue start.

If you continue your training as you've said you want to, one of the things that you'll learn in a rescue course is the best time to prevent an accident is before you even get in the water.

Awareness of what's going on around you, clues in other divers mannerisms, gear, etc. can tip you off to potential problems and who may experience problems during the dive long before it starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom