Diver Death at La Jolla Shores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One report says that the man was 55, another says that he was 39. Not that it would have made a difference, but it highlights that the media is always willing to print a story before checking the facts. 'Nuff said.

This tragic and in my opinion, unnecessary loss of life, further underscores the need for instructors to properly teach adherence to a buddy system. I feel that this is of paramount importance with new divers. All new divers must be given the impression that staying with a buddy is of extreme importance.

Once a diver has a wealth of experience, I believe it is acceptable for them to make the decision to dive solo if they so choose. I personally am a fan of the buddy system and don't think I would ever choose to dive solo as part of a plan. For the record, I do respect the decision of those who decide to dive solo.

However, I hear all to often about divers that plan a dive as buddies, but make no effort to stay together as buddies throughout the dive. If it's part of the plan to just go into the water together, but not really be bound to each other as buddies, that's fine, because it is part of the plan. This is simply a group of people that has chosen to dive solo, but happened to enter the water at the same time. But if the plan calls for people to be buddies, then the safetly procedures of a plan like that would rely on each member of the buddy team actually being a buddy. Plan your dive and dive your plan!

I just hope someone learns something from the discussion of this loss.

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased diver.

Christian

divebuddysean:
I agree that you should stay with your buddy to the end of the dive.
At least the man could have helped him out of the water and maybe he would
have had a better chance with his heart attack. Certainly being underwater drowning
can't be helpful. (I wonder if his reg was free flowing or he was breathing)

Sean
Sean,

I don't read anywhere that he had a heart attack.

Since he was out of air, it would seem that he was breathing until it was gone. Although, as you point, out the reg could have free flowed (after having a heart attack).

A heart attack might be further supported circumstancially by the facts in that there was no air in his BC, his weights were on and he was "clutching" his game bag. I think that these circumstances support the idea of "something sudden" happening.

The idea of a freeflowing reg could be further supported by the report of how the divers found him:

"They saw bubbles in the ocean and they went over to investigate and found him unconscious," Bass said of the divers.

After thinking out loud here, I can see how you or someone else could easily come to the conclusion that it was a heart attack.

I don't mean to be arumentative here. I'm just adding to the discussion, so that we might possibly learn more from it.

I look forward to diving with you guys in the near future.

Christian

The article said "Lifeguards administered CPR but the man was 'in full cardiac arrest,' Bass said. He was pronounced dead at the scene, Bass said. "

I just assumed he must have had a heart attack. When you drown, do you go into cardiac arrest?

Where did you hear he had a game bag, and was a newly certified diver?

We(me and my 2 tanks) will be at Crecent Bay Sunday the 22nd for the Wrinkes Dive, come join us!!

Sean

jenazah:
As a fellow newly certified diver. I also questioned his judgement on going down to 65 feet and bringing game bag on his FIRST unsupervised dive. It's hard enough to concentrate on your gauge, compass, equalizing, bouyancy control etc. as a beginner. You don't need other distraction like game bag, camera, or spear, especially on your first dive.

As "rje634" pointed out, you are refering to a death that happened back in 2002, however, your points are correct. The latest death was a 55yr old diver on Sunday: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20040816-1725-diver-dies.html

Roland

cardiac arrest only means the heart has stopped for some reason. Heart attack or death.

headhunter:
One report says that the man was 55, another says that he was 39. Not that it would have made a difference, but it highlights that the media is always willing to print a story before checking the facts. 'Nuff said.
The story with the 55 is correct the story with the 39 was an erroneous link that has been taken down. The 39 year old was a 2 and a half year old story...

The link, updated:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/northcounty/20040816-1725-diver-dies.html

AND the article:

Diver who died at La Jolla Shores is identified

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES
2:35 p.m. August 16, 2004

SAN DIEGO – A 56-year-old diver who died at La Jolla Shores after being pulled out of the ocean unconscious was identified Monday by the county medical examiner's office.

A cause of death had not yet been determined for Michael James Duncan of Ocean Beach, said James Ramirez, an investigator for the county medical examiner's office. An autopsy had not been completed.

Divers who found Duncan brought him to shore about 1:30 p.m. at the beach at Vallecitos Street, San Diego lifeguard Lt. Brant Bass said.

"They saw bubbles in the ocean and they went over to investigate and found him unconscious," Bass said of the divers.

Lifeguards attempted to resuscitate the man but he was "in full cardiac arrest," Bass said.

Duncan spent several minutes unconscious in the water, Ramirez said.

He died at the scene, Bass said.

divebuddysean:
The article said "Lifeguards administered CPR but the man was 'in full cardiac arrest,' Bass said. He was pronounced dead at the scene, Bass said. "

I just assumed he must have had a heart attack. When you drown, do you go into cardiac arrest?

As Pasley mentioned, you could have a heart attack and go into cardiac arrest or you could die from any other cause and since your heart stops upon death, you have cardiac arrest. CPR is only performed on a dead body (in full cariac arrest) and is a means of attempting to bring them back to life.

divebuddysean:
Where did you hear he had a game bag, and was a newly certified diver?

Oops! The newly certified diver and game bag part came from the erroneous link posted and later removed by ShakaZulu.

divebuddysean:
We(me and my 2 tanks) will be at Crecent Bay Sunday the 22nd for the Wrinkes Dive, come join us!!

Sean

Sean, I've been out of the water for a long time.

I'm waiting for a final piece of equipment to arrive at my LDS and then plan on taking a "refresher" before jumping back in to the ocean. The refresher will also serve to get my boyancy and trim figured out for my new gear in a pool before jumping back in. :crafty:

I'm really anxious to get back in the water and I would really love to just "go for it", but I don't think that would be a safe attitude on my part. :11:

Also, I can't imagine subjecting anyone to the "rusty dude" without seeing how rusty I really am first. :wink:

I'll be with you guys really soon! :D

Christian

headhunter:
Also, I can't imagine subjecting anyone to the "rusty dude" without seeing how rusty I really am first. :wink:

That is very kinda of you - get back into diving shape and come out! Diving is great fun - but not as fun if someone is at 500 PSI when the other divers are at 1500 PSI!

ryanarcher:
That is very kinda of you - get back into diving shape and come out! Diving is great fun - but not as fun if someone is at 500 PSI when the other divers are at 1500 PSI!
Thanks Ryan.

I look forward to getting back up to speed and then learning a lot from all of you. I love reading the dive reports from you guys down south. I'll make it a point to join you!

Christian

Back
Top Bottom