Diver dead after accident in Lake Ontario near Oakville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things don't jive. Report says that it was not a charter, yet we have emails from Tuesday night that its a scheduled charter.

When diving those depths and temps, are there required cold water regs that are part of everyone's gear? If someone showed up on the boat in a reg that absolutely couldn't handle those temps, would they be pulled aside and told they're not going to dive? I don't dive that cold so I don't know about cold water regs.

I don't think any dive boat would stop someone from diving because they have a perticular model of regulator (you pay your money you take your chances) Having a reg. that is equiped with an enviromental (cold water) kit helps to pevent freeze-ups but having dry air in your tank is more important.
I know that the cause factors of this incident have not been released yet so we can not assume that a regulator freeze-up was the cause. Regardless just FYI, I do a lot of cold weather diving and there are several things I do to prevent a freeze-up, first I insure the air in my cylinders is dry, I have my oun compressor so I know that my filters are good. Next I dry my regulator completely following the rinse, this means connecting it to a cylinder and purging it several times then taking it in to the house and drying it with the plug removed overnight. My standard regulators all have the enviromental kits installed and I use an all metal 2nd stage or a cold water 2nd stage that conducts warm exhaled air to the valve seat area to help prevent freeze-ups. Lastly I do not breath from the reg or purge it until I am underwater, this would only apply if air temps are close to freezing.
ZDD

I think it is high time that this speculation about what happened stop. Only 3 people know what happen exactly and one of them are dead. Please send your respects to the family and for the love of god come up with better ways to reduce the risks of this happening again ie training and the balls to say no to someone IF they arent ready for the dive.

I think it is high time that this speculation about what happened stop. Only 3 people know what happen exactly and one of them are dead. Please send your respects to the family and for the love of god come up with better ways to reduce the risks of this happening again ie training and the balls to say no to someone IF they arent ready for the dive.

The above highlighted passage from your post is speculation, unless you know that the accident is due to lack of training or appropriate experience.

Country Diver:
Things don't jive. Report says that it was not a charter, yet we have emails from Tuesday night that its a scheduled charter.

I have that email from Tuesday as well offering the fateful charter for Wednesday to the Lyman Davis, Bermingham Crane and Sligo (though surely not in that order due to depth). I guess we don't know if it got changed to just a friendly dive. Only the two remaining divers know and perhaps whomever the 3 divers communicated their intentions to for that day.

I would if I knew who they were..
All I know is a bank account number and a paypal address..

Hello everyone,

I am the OUC (Ontario Underwater Council) regional representative for Ontario South which is where this tragic accident occurred.

I think we all need to stand behind the family at this their time of need and do all that we can to ensure that this tragedy never happens again. Perhaps when we know the true story of what happened, we will be able to make recommendations as to how to prevent this from ever happening again. Please be sure to check out the OUC website to check out the incident report which will continue to be updated as further information becomes available.

We must also be sure to take into account the other two parties that were involved and provide our support to them.

Hello everyone,

I am the OUC (Ontario Underwater Council) regional representative for Ontario South which is where this tragic accident occurred.

I think we all need to stand behind the family at this their time of need and do all that we can to ensure that this tragedy never happens again. Perhaps when we know the true story of what happened, we will be able to make recommendations as to how to prevent this from ever happening again. Please be sure to check out the OUC website to check out the incident report which will continue to be updated as further information becomes available.

We must also be sure to take into account the other two parties that were involved and provide our support to them.

okay, good to meet you. ... but this is a accident analysis forum. You wouldn't happen to know any more facts would you?

okay, good to meet you. ... but this is a accident analysis forum. You wouldn't happen to know any more facts would you?

Nope, take a look at the current OUC report..Its pretty much a waste of bandwidth...Also, how can we ensure this never happens again? I am pretty confident that the true story will NEVER come out..Ever heard the saying, C Y A
Cover your ass...

I have spoken to several people close to the three involved in this terrible accident. I can tell you that although there is certainly a bit of confusion surrounding the exact circumstances, there is no covering of asses involved so far as I can see. There are MANY people in the close knit community around these three divers that are trying to sort out the whole event. Analysis of the dive are ongoing, and are quite open. I did not meet any secrecy, simply the desire that the details be clear and correct before publicly discussed. The media made such a mess in the beginning that the family asked for privacy and accuracy. They truly just wish to deal with their grief at this moment.

Be patient. The truth is working its way out of this mess.

Back
Top Bottom