Diver convicted in wife's drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadiesmom - thank you for the information you are providing. Do you know what constraints were imposed upon Dr. Egstrom? In other words, do you know what it was he was not allowed to testify about?

It sounds like from the link that Ayisha posted that he was allowed to testify about a history of panic, but possibly not air consumption. Can you clear that up for us?

I'm sorry, K-girl. I haven't received permission to use that e-mail publicly, which would answer your question more fully. Until I do, I can't elaborate any further than what was printed in the media. Sorry...but I have to respect the privacy of the person who wrote to me (as I would anyone who e-mailed me privately).

If I do receive permission, I'd be happy to go into this further using that e-mail - as it most clearly explains the answers to your questions.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone! I’ve been trying to catch up over the last couple of days reading in between classes and such. I picked up on a few issues that I think went untouched (i.e. I didn’t see anything in my reading the first time around). Apologies if I have indeed missed something.

K-Girl:
Indeed, her dive computer would indicate a long dive, but there is no information as to how long she was dead. It sounds like you are assuming she as alive up to the very end that her dive computer came to the surface. You cannot make that assumption. Since Swain is claiming poor memory due to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and also claims that they separated for their different "purposes", he can't be of much value in providing information as to her dive.
I agree that Swain can’t be a reliable source of information given that he claims he wasn’t there when his wife died. Additionally, people can be iffy on memory after a shocking event. It is well recorded that people have difficulty remember things happening prior to and sometimes following a shocking event. It is not true of everyone, of course, but stress definitely plays a role for some people when they are called on to remember facts after a traumatic event.

Also, as I posted earlier, the fact that Swain had a camera underwater with him is a pretty good explanation for why he might not have been paying that much attention to the specifics when things transpired on that day. Photographers often lose spatial and temporal recognition when they are fiddling with their cameras. This is one reason why people are strongly encouraged to take a diving photography course to learn how not to fall into danger in these ways. But then we already know that both of them dived solo on more than one occasion, which is a clear indication that these diving axioms were not being heeded by either of them.

If Swain’s team allowed the prosecution to put forward this ridiculous time line using average diver distances, which also include people not using cameras, they made a big mistake. If these challenges were brought up and the jury ignored them, then I think it is a real shame. One in what appears to be a long line of shameful mistakes in this trial.

Regarding the dive computer:

I’m not sure what assumptions can be made about the dive based on the data on the computer. I doubt that the prevailing assumption is that she was alive all the way to the surface, given that she was found motionless on the seabed before being brought to the surface. The computer can actually be of some help in this case, however. Assuming she settled at the bottom on her back when she died, the computer would have marked the time at which she reached that depth. If the computer has her at a static depth for a significant period of time, the information could be very useful indeed.

Ido-Steve:

First:
Tyre "may have aspirated water that led to panic and death, and she "may have been spooked by a Ray in the sand", and the mask strap "may have snapped" due to her own actions Yeah, and a zillion other assumptions can and have been made by anyone taking a stab at it. Just because this guy happened to be part of the rescue doesn't make his assumptions about things that "might have happened" any more credible than anyone else's.
Then:
”Thwaites had testified that he was not totally satisfied Tyre was dead when Swain suggested “she was gone”.

That testimony from a first hand witness and rescuer says that Swain stopped doing CPR while the victim was STILL ALIVE.
So we shouldn’t accept the testimony of an experienced diver who knows what can happen down there just because he was there and knows about what can happen besides what the prosecution has proffered, but we should accept the testimony about the assumptions made by the latter diver “who was there” because he is a rescue diver after all?

If your first point is valid, your second is a contradiction.

He can’t make that assumption any better than anyone else can. Also, look at the literature on resuscitation attempts done on victims. In the majority of cases, CPR attempts end with a fatality. This reality is referenced in Emergency First Response booklets, particularly in the sections that talk about the guilt associated with failed resuscitation attempts. The general gist is that one should not feel bad if one has tried to do what one can, even if the outcome is for naught. This isn’t to say that these two did enough on that day. That remains a matter of speculation, but certainly you are wrong to assume that a rescue diver could under any realistic circumstances know if someone is still alive after having undergone CPR. I agree that they shouldn't have stopped. One is meant to try until exhaustion sets in. If it was closer to five minutes, then it is possible they got tired. We renewed our teacher CPR certifications this year and I was surprised just how quickly some of my colleagues tired of the routine on plastic dummies. This is a whole other can of worms from a live human being, one that you know and are married/acquainted with.

Ayisha

Did Thwaites' wife dive? If so, why did she not dive with Thwaites during this dive? If not, was it customary for Thwaites to dive alone?
I know that the "agreement about two divers aboard" was already mentioned, but I had one more thought. If she was going to be diving that day, I doubt that she would have been geared up and ready to jump in under the circumstances of the day. More than likely, she would have been waiting like her husband was until the time that Thwaites had brought Tyre’s body to the surface. I also wonder if she was brought in to testify to the mood of the moment prior to Thwaites bringing her body up. Would she (and perhaps even her son) have corroborated that things were calm at the time her husband descended until he came back to the surface? This would be very crucial testimony in my opinion because it would paint a clear picture of how things transpired in that interim time.

Regarding the fin being stuck three inches in the sand. This remains puzzling to me.
In my rescue diver course, I practiced the technique where a rescuer has to approach a panicked diver from below and behind the tank. We practiced this several times. Often, the rescuer had a hard enough time holding onto the frame of the BCD (with his knees being used as a brace) while the acting panicked diver spent her energy thrashing about. Add to this the need to turn off air and also to keep the diver from getting away, this would have been quite a struggle.

Assuming Swain had it in his mind to remove the fins, how, from this position, would he successfully stick the fin into the sand “with force” while also keeping his wife in a death grip? I understand that the location of the fin is damaging for the defense, but I wonder why the same litmus test is not being applied to the prosecution’s scenario of him attacking her from behind. The only tests we have seen thus far are those that have her fin falling to the sand. The diver who testified to going back the next day attempted this, as did the prosecution expert. But the burning question I still have is whether or not the murder scenario ever answers the question of how the fin would end up in that position. Perhpas someone else knows this.

Also...

Could someone please explain to me why wanting a secluded dive spot and uttering this desire openly is indicative of anything sinister, other than using it as a post hoc implication?

On my last liveaboard trip, the topic of seclusion came up repeatedly, particularly by photographers, who on several occasions opted for dive times staggered away from those of the huddled masses on the boat. We, as a collective group, also chose in large numbers to visit less popular dive sites primarily because we knew fewer to no divers would be there. Is this really that much of a mystery?

I was involved in a fish counting-identifying dive weekend in the Philippines a few years back. Within the program was a scheduled time for divers to go in at certain locations to be sure that diver numbers didn’t chase the fish away or act as an undue influence on the final count. Perhaps it was agreed to by all divers on the day to go to a secluded place because of less interruption for both of their dive profiles. That Swain might ask about this means absolutely nothing to any diver with a modicum of experience. An ignorant and gullible jury pool, well that might be another story altogether.

Cheers!

Hi Dadvocate - how are you doing? Glad to see you here.

Regarding the dive computer:

I’m not sure what assumptions can be made about the dive based on the data on the computer. I doubt that the prevailing assumption is that she was alive all the way to the surface, given that she was found motionless on the seabed before being brought to the surface. The computer can actually be of some help in this case, however. Assuming she settled at the bottom on her back when she died, the computer would have marked the time at which she reached that depth. If the computer has her at a static depth for a significant period of time, the information could be very useful indeed.

Very interesting thought, but I would think it would depend on the terrain in the area, considering that most divers dive just a few feet off the bottom during most of the dive. They were diving a wreck, which should mean that the diver would not be spending the entire dive just off the bottom. She was found out in open water in the sand. I think it would also matter how well the computer distinguishes 80 feet from 82 feet.

He can’t make that assumption any better than anyone else can. Also, look at the literature on resuscitation attempts done on victims. In the majority of cases, CPR attempts end with a fatality. This reality is referenced in Emergency First Response booklets, particularly in the sections that talk about the guilt associated with failed resuscitation attempts. The general gist is that one should not feel bad if one has tried to do what one can, even if the outcome is for naught. This isn’t to say that these two did enough on that day. That remains a matter of speculation, but certainly you are wrong to assume that a rescue diver could under any realistic circumstances know if someone is still alive after having undergone CPR. I agree that they shouldn't have stopped. One is meant to try until exhaustion sets in. If it was closer to five minutes, then it is possible they got tired. We renewed our teacher CPR certifications this year and I was surprised just how quickly some of my colleagues tired of the routine on plastic dummies. This is a whole other can of worms from a live human being, one that you know and are married/acquainted with.

I agree with this in many ways. However, If Swain had "tired" Thwaites could have taken over and they could have traded back and forth. It may be true that CPR doesn't save most people, but if it never worked, we wouldn't be trained on it. I think Thwaites' testimony regarding his personal reaction to the situation is significant as basically Swain ended not only his effort pretty quickly, but anyone else's attempts and stopped the radio call that was already in progress in favor of a cell phone call. This truly is significant when it comes to the fact that this is supposed to be someone he loves. My perception is that Thwaites was Swain's friend and Swain was behaving in a way that caused Thwaites to say that he was shocked. It is possible that Thwaites has observed Swain react in emergency situations before (since they are both experienced divers), and Swain's behavior may have been different enough for Thwaites to feel shock at Swain's behavior. I don't have any of this information, I'm just trying to explain a potential reason of the "shocked" feeling that Thwaites said he felt regarding Swain's behavior. I think it is safe to say that if you truly loved someone, that you would feel frantic to keep efforts going to save their life. Watched Sanjay Gupta's "Cheating Death" series on CNN last weekend - about people who should have died who were miraculously saved through CPR and other techniques. Everyone involved was asked - what message would you have for people after your experience? Unanimously, the message was "never give up."

Regarding the fin being stuck three inches in the sand. This remains puzzling to me.
In my rescue diver course, I practiced the technique where a rescuer has to approach a panicked diver from below and behind the tank. We practiced this several times. Often, the rescuer had a hard enough time holding onto the frame of the BCD (with his knees being used as a brace) while the acting panicked diver spent her energy thrashing about. Add to this the need to turn off air and also to keep the diver from getting away, this would have been quite a struggle.

Assuming Swain had it in his mind to remove the fins, how, from this position, would he successfully stick the fin into the sand “with force” while also keeping his wife in a death grip? I understand that the location of the fin is damaging for the defense, but I wonder why the same litmus test is not being applied to the prosecution’s scenario of him attacking her from behind. The only tests we have seen thus far are those that have her fin falling to the sand. The diver who testified to going back the next day attempted this, as did the prosecution expert. But the burning question I still have is whether or not the murder scenario ever answers the question of how the fin would end up in that position. Perhpas someone else knows this.

I envision it to be more difficult for someone to fend-off an attack underwater than to be the attacker. There is nothing for the victim to grab onto, nothing, but the bottom to find leverage. The attacker would easily have the upperhand coming from behind. Yes, it is difficult to rescue, but what you try to accomplish for a rescue is different from an attack. It is easy to get behind a diver and grab the tank. Even quicker and easier to get the victim off-guard and less able to fight back, grab the mask and jerk it off. Best to begin the approach from behind so the victim is caught completely by surprise. Since you are already behind the victim, you can now easily grab the tank and start turning off the air as they struggle to recover from the missing mask and the shock that they are under attack. You might even be able to confuse them long enough to make them believe that you are trying to help them as you begin to turn off the air. The victim will probably start kicking wildly, with as much force as they can muster, instinctively going for leverage either against the bottom or against the attacker, twisting at the same time to get the attacker out from behind. But all the leverage and control lies with the attacker, as he has a good hold on the tank valve, the victim cannot see, has to remember how to breathe without a mask, just to survive the few minutes that are left.

How does the fin come off? No one takes it off, it is probably a slip-on bootie fin that slips off much more easily that a fin designed with a strap to go over a boot. It is dug into the sand and comes off during the attack as the victim is attempting to use what little leverage that is available - the bottom.

- That's how it could happen.

Last edited:
Hi, K-Girl! I’m doing well. I’ll be in your old diving stomping grounds of Florida soon enough. Heading to Seattle after one more week of school madness, and then we are off to sunny Florida to meet up with my sis coming in from Europe. Then its Key Largo and water fun for all! It is also good to see you here as well. You’ve posted some great links by the way. Always appreciated.

Very interesting thought, but I would think it would depend on the terrain in the area, considering that most divers dive just a few feet off the bottom during most of the dive. They were diving a wreck, which should mean that the diver would not be spending the entire dive just off the bottom. She was found out in open water in the sand. I think it would also matter how well the computer distinguishes 80 feet from 82 feet.
Exactly! A lot depends on the computer make and model and the terrain of the day. If there could be variations shown before she was brought to the surface, this could be useful for the defense, but it could also help the prosecution’s timeline more independently than the use of speculative numbers. I, of course, am as in the dark about this as everyone else is.

I agree with this in many ways. However, If Swain had "tired" Thwaites could have taken over and they could have traded back and forth. It may be true that CPR doesn't save most people, but if it never worked, we wouldn't be trained on it. I think Thwaites' testimony regarding his personal reaction to the situation is significant as basically Swain ended not only his effort pretty quickly, but anyone else's attempts and stopped the radio call that was already in progress in favor of a cell phone call. This truly is significant when it comes to the fact that this is supposed to be someone he loves. My perception is that Thwaites was Swain's friend and Swain was behaving in a way that caused Thwaites to say that he was shocked. It is possible that Thwaites has observed Swain react in emergency situations before (since they are both experienced divers), and Swain's behavior may have been different enough for Thwaites to feel shock at Swain's behavior.
Firstly, I totally agree with everything you say about continuing CPR for any victim, which of course includes one you are close to. I hope my exercise in waxing the cyber-detective doesn’t lean toward suggesting that CPR is a fruitless endeavor. In my work and play I think it is hugely important to know how to try and save someone, if for no other reason than to combat that helpless feeling one gets in tragic situations. I, like many Americans and others, know this horrible feeling from watching helplessly on September 11, 2001. I remain profoundly affected by that horrible day and the helplessness that consumed me as I watched all those people die. For what it is worth, I was one of the teachers at our school to raise hell last year when it was brought to light that CPR courses for the faculty were “too expensive”. I definitely get where you are coming from.

All of your points are valid. The part that is sticky for me in this case, I suppose, is that Thwaites decided after the fact to call this behavior odd, but when he was in the moment he complied with Swain’s verbal request to stop CPR. If he is a rescue diver, he is also trained to make assessments on his own, both regarding the continuation of CPR and in stressing the need to make a faster call for help to the best available EMT. He was the one who found her as well making him the “primary” rescuer in this scenario. She was also his friend as well as Swain’s wife, so why does he get the pass in this case and Swain gets to be the bad guy? I still think this is unfair and prejudicial. Given that he could have continued to do CPR, why didn’t he? Because Swain said so? This is a little bit too convenient for my taste. Could the strangeness about the incident be a reflection of his own guilt at having been so easily convinced?

Here is where I toss in a bit more conjecture. Please note that I am admitting this from the start.

In looking at Swain in the photos I’ve seen, he doesn’t strike me as a strong man physically. No insult intended here. Given his background of abuse which has led to his stoicism when it comes to showing emotional weakness, could it be that he was tired and emotionally spent and thus exhausted quickly doing CPR? If so, is it possible that he on some psychological level “had to” believe she was dead instead of owning up to his weakness in the moment? If so, then his words could be the sign of a man who was not “man enough” on the day. Again, not allowing his psychologist to testify to his condition after the incident could be relevant in this, not only for the defense, but also the prosecution. Going back to an excellent point made earlier, the prosecution getting what they wanted could have actually hurt them as well.
Back to my main point:

Why even ask Swain if he wants the call made when you arrive at the scene? Just make the bloody call! I admit that my personal experiences in emergency diving situations extends only to the point that I have been trained myself and have assisted in minor incidents; however, I have been in a few sticky situations on land were I needed to call for help. I never asked permission. In more than one case when I made the call for help, I found out from the EMT on the other end that calls had already been made to them prior to my attempt. On one occasion during a house fire I witnessed in California, I called 911 even though someone else at the scene told me that they had already been called. Why take chances? There is noting wrong redundancy, I’d say.

In the aftermath of a car accident I narrowly missed myself, where five people died, I decided to leave the scene to call for help because my truck was quite literally the last vehicle to get through before the accident. I wanted to stay and help but decided that it was better for me to leave the scene with injured and dying people in order to drive somewhere to call for help (think pre cell phones). I felt really guilty about this afterwards and actually had a hard time sleeping after that day. I was defensive about my decision when cornered, particularly in the deposition. I felt for the longest time that I had failed to make the right call. When I look at it now, I don’t know why I thought that leaving was somehow wrong, like I was giving up. Still, I did feel that for a long time and conjured up defensive strategies to cope with this guilt when I talked about the incident. Some of the details came back to me years later, like the music that was playing when it all happened. Really weird how it just hit me one day while listening to the radio. Oops, I’m digressing again.

It seems odd that the mere suggestion that she was dead was also enough to get Thwaites to stop doing CPR as well. As far I as understand things, the account he is giving is that Swain only said these things. He never forced anyone to stop anything, which is the language some people in this thread are using inaccurately I’d say.. If these witnesses are astute enough to recount their concern after the fact, why not merely follow those instincts in the moment? It is a little bit revisionist historian in my opinion to cite odd behavior that you are ultimately complicit in.

So this becomes an issue of whether or not Swain really did “stop” these attempts or merely just suggest that she was gone and then that a different course be taken using somewhat ambiguous language. Why is his suggestion to stop CPR and his desire to use a cell phone any more damning to his integrity than it is for those who complied and are now testifying to this fact?

Perhaps your conclusions are different to mine. And I am cool with that by the way :).
I envision it to be more difficult for someone to fend-off an attack underwater than to be the attacker. There is nothing for the victim to grab onto, nothing, but the bottom to find leverage. The attacker would easily have the upperhand coming from behind. Yes, it is difficult to rescue, but what you try to accomplish for a rescue is different from an attack. It is easy to get behind a diver and grab the tank. Even quicker and easier to get the victim off-guard and less able to fight back, grab the mask and jerk it off. Best to begin the approach from behind so the victim is caught completely by surprise. Since you are already behind the victim, you can now easily grab the tank and start turning off the air as they struggle to recover from the missing mask and the shock that they are under attack. You might even be able to confuse them long enough to make them believe that you are trying to help them as you begin to turn off the air. The victim will probably start kicking wildly, with as much force as they can muster, instinctively going for leverage either against the bottom or against the attacker, twisting at the same time to get the attacker out from behind. But all the leverage and control lies with the attacker, as he has a good hold on the tank valve, the victim cannot see, has to remember how to breathe without a mask, just to survive the few minutes that are left.
Again, all of these are excellent points. The burning questions remain, however why/how put it in the sand as it was found? If the advantage is as you say, removing a hand (or hands) to do this is not advantageous as I see it. If the fin falls off as a result of the struggle, the location of it stuck in the sand is just as improbable for the prosecution as it is for the defense giving the tests that were run (well the ones I’ve read about anyway). This remains problematic for all these reasons.

Further:
How does the fin come off? No one takes it off, it is probably a slip-on bootie fin that slips off much more easily that a fin designed with a strap to go over a boot. It is dug into the sand and comes off during the attack as the victim is attempting to use what little leverage that is available - the bottom.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Is it true that Thwaites found the fin originally? I recall this from one linked article earlier on. If he found the fin and thought nothing of it until he saw Tyre’s body in the water and then he let it go in order to help her, he was the last person to touch the fin. He says in that article that he dropped the fin immediately and went to Tyre to help her.

Could he have placed the fin tip down from the position he was carrying it. As it stands (assuming his testimony is accurate and my memory as well), he admits to being the last person to have possession of the fin on the day. Maybe I have this wrong, as another diver also claims to have found the fin a day later, which isn’t necessarily inconsistent with what I recall from Thwaites. Is it possible that both accounts are true, that Thwaites did find the fin initially, and then the second diver recovered it after he “dropped” it? I’d appreciate the skinny on this.

Finally, I have no issues with your hypothesis about the fin being stuck in the sand during the attack if it was tested and shown to be plausible. Please correct me again if I am wrong, but wasn’t there strap found tucked underneath the heel section of the fin? Where any tests run to establish plausibility?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Ayisha:
Did Thwaites' wife dive? If so, why did she not dive with Thwaites during this dive? If not, was it customary for Thwaites to dive alone?

Ayisha
I know that the "agreement about two divers aboard" was already mentioned, but I had one more thought. If she was going to be diving that day, I doubt that she would have been geared up and ready to jump in under the circumstances of the day. More than likely, she would have been waiting like her husband was until the time that Thwaites had brought Tyre’s body to the surface. I also wonder if she was brought in to testify to the mood of the moment prior to Thwaites bringing her body up. Would she (and perhaps even her son) have corroborated that things were calm at the time her husband descended until he came back to the surface? This would be very crucial testimony in my opinion because it would paint a clear picture of how things transpired in that interim time.

Hi Dadvocate. My reasoning for asking the question was pretty much the same as what you are saying above. I wanted to know if there was anything amiss about the start of that dive for Thwaites and if it occurred the same way their other dives occurred. My asking about his wife was in case Thwaites had to rush in because his wife was not ready, which would show that he knew something was up before he jumped in, whereas it is being portrayes as a normal situation for the group. If it was business as usual, and there was no sense of urgency, then that would support the diving practices that they claim was normal for them. I certainly was not commenting on their "solo" diving. I was simply trying to ask a non-judgemental question in deferrence to Swain's friends being participants in this thread.

The part that is sticky for me in this case, I suppose, is that Thwaites decided after the fact to call this behavior odd, but when he was in the moment he complied with Swain’s verbal request to stop CPR. If he is a rescue diver, he is also trained to make assessments on his own, both regarding the continuation of CPR and in stressing the need to make a faster call for help to the best available EMT. He was the one who found her as well making him the “primary” rescuer in this scenario...
Why even ask Swain if he wants the call made when you arrive at the scene? Just make the bloody call!

There is no reference to Thwaites asking Swain if he wanted him to call or whom to call. Thwaites was already beginning to use the radio and Swain told him not to, but to use the cell phone instead.

Swain was a former EMT, and it is very plausible that Thwaites believed Swain knew what he was doing, and second-guessed his own inkling that Shelley was still alive. We are taught to perform a rescue until exhaustion or until a more qualified person takes over, and Swain was certainly a more qualified EMT-trained individual. He was not qualified, however, to pronounce death.

I do not recall if Thwaites was operating the boat and trying to get them to shore, which would make it difficult to take over from Swain, or if they kept the boat in place until help arrived... Maybe someone can remind us of that info...

K-Girl, I had also wondered if Shelley had dug her fin(s) in the sand for leverage because of someone holding her down, and it does seem plausible that the fin got stuck that way. Thwaites testified that he saw the fin stuck in that way before he pulled it out and took it, soon finding her lifeless body and leaving the fin and camera in his rescue attempt. Brown retrieved the fin and camera the next day. The fin strap was pulled down under the heel, which is difficult to figure out, unless after it was stuck deeply, Shelley tried to get out of the stuck fin. It is puzzling how that whole fin situation came to be...

OMG -- Dadvocate gave me a significant idea:

The deceased was found something like 30 feet from where her fin was stuck in the sand. If I recall correctly, the prosecution argued that the fin could have been in the sand only as the result of a struggle. If that is true, how is it that she was 30 feet away? Did the struggle carry them over 30 feet of sand?

Dadvocate suggested that the dive computer would have been at a static depth from the time of death to the time someone started to bring the body to the surface. If there was a struggle, as the prosecution contends, it still would have been within a few minutes of when the depth became static. At what point in the dive did the depth become static?

One step further: What if the deceased had intentionally placed her fin in the sand as a marker for doing a fish count and she then swam away to do her fish count? Wouldn’t the dive computer register a depth within a few feet of the bottom to place the fin? Wouldn’t the dive computer then register an ascent, even if only a few more feet as the deceased swam around (with one fin)? Wouldn’t it show a static depth once the deceased died? Does the computer support this as a possible scenario?

One more thing: If Swain stopped doing CPR while his wife was still alive … wait, that is impossible. You don’t do CPR on someone who is alive. You may do mouth-to-mouth, but not CPR. CPR is for someone whose heart has stopped, i.e. someone who is dead, but whom you hope to keep alive long enough for someone with a defibulator to arrive.

Even better still, if she was still alive, then Swain could not have killed her during the dive. The witnesses and presumably the computers showed Swain was on the boat for some time before his wife’s body was found on the bottom. If she was still alive, when she was brought up, she would have been alive when Swain surfaced and boarded the boat. And, if that’s the case, how could he have killed her in the water?

This makes my head hurt.
(Sorry if this is not as articulate as it could be. Its late and I'm tired.)

- That's how it could happen.

Except that it was not. It was a cold water fin with a heel strap (I've seen photos of it) which requires wearing neoprene booties. The fin was found stuck 3 inches into the sand, blade first - and here's the bizarre part that I simply cannot in any way wrap my brain around in regard to losing it during an "attack" -

The heel strap was still attached on both sides, but pulled down and under the footplate. (This was actually a big part of testimony from several people - all of whom found it "strange" - as do I.)

If anyone can, please explain to me how a) you can, while wearing a fin (let's even leave out the struggling part), stick a fin (which as we all know, bends) toe first 3 inches into the sand (because I've now tried it with my fins - mine cannot be stuck 3 inches into the sand without my digging out some sand, placing it in the sand and then pushing the sand back. Otherwise, it either bends forwards or backwards, but will not go straight in no matter what I do - a fin isn't a plank - they're designed to bend); b) now, while you're struggling for your life, reach down and pull the heel strap over your heel bone and the sole of your bootie and down under the foot plate; and c) then remove your foot (remember, you're struggling for your life now) from the fin without dislodging it from the sand....

'Cause I've tried to think this one through in the context of a life and death struggle and I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Quite true about the fin and strap. It is a pain to take my fins off when I'm on the surface getting ready to climb the boarding ladder to a boat or when I'm on a beach. There is a bunch of pulling and tugging ... and I just got new looser fins.

I'm speculating that the fin was intentionally taken off and placed in the sand as a marker of some sort, perhaps in connection with a fish count.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom