Diver Control: Hand Swimming

Should swimming with the hands result in open water diver course failure?

• Yes

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 114 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Most training agencies use words like "control" in standards regarding the quality of student performance. The problem is that "control" often means different things to different people. For example, it is impossible to pass the written standards of the TDI Intro to Tech class. NO BUOYANCY SHIFT. NO SCULLING OF THE HANDS OR FEET. For how long? 30 seconds? 1 minute? An hour? At every moment in the course over how ever many days it is conducted? Time isn't specified. No GUE instructor could do that. Every diver will eventually move a fin for a slight correction or change buoyancy by inches or a foot in a breathing cycle. What TDI is relying upon is the sound sensible judgement of its instructors to evaluate buoyancy control and sculling with fins that is reasonable for skills that would be proficient or even exceptional.

While technical diving demands greater control, control is also a very important part of recreational and entry level diving. It is often difficult for new technical divers to learn to hover at the same depth as a team and perform emergency drills or tasks with exceptional control while remaining in a horizontal position that makes a team look like they are skydiving and doing RW (relative work: skydiving term) underwater.

In the past, my experience as a diver was that most divers did very little hand swimming or sculling. Control was fins only. Buoyancy among open water divers was good. Trim was a skill that seemed to be maintained while swimming, but would fall off or become vertical when the diver stopped moving. If a diver can maintain a neutral position in the water and stay off the bottom or coral and hang vertically in a controlled, relaxed manner, then begin moving by fluid and efficient kicking skills and swim in a graceful horizontal manner, I do not believe that is unacceptable.

Those of us who can ascend horizontally know the benefits, but as long as divers can slowly ascend while sharing gas and hold safety stops by controlling rate of ascent and buoyancy, I think that is acceptable for open water.

Presently, I'm getting students who are swimming with their hands as much as their feet. Worse, I see instructors doing it. "Control" seems to be the same sort of control that drivers have on snowy and icy roads. Divers seem to counter-steer through their slips, slides, and slop.

My question is should hand swimming be an absolute standards violation of all agencies across the board resulting in open water course failure?

If not, how much hand swimming or sculling is acceptable?

How do you define control?

swimming is swimming is swimming
Is there really any harm in swimming with your hands?
If it's comfortable and it's not hurting anyone or anything, I say,"Why not?"
I was alive when I descended, I was still alive when I ascended, I didn't damage anything while I was down and my buddy and I had fun.
That's what matters to me.
Besides, my hands are usually busy with photo equipment.
But if they weren't....who knows.

Shoulda been a maybe in there cousin. If they look like the old sea hunt vids where they are actually stroking along then yeah they are not ready to be certed and frankly the instructor should get a talking to as well! If an Ow diver is say sticking hand out to assist with those first few turns, to change postion, maybe get a bit closer to their buddy, or not crash into something then I see no big issue.

Sculling is something that is really easy to stop and should be stopped. Fail OW? Maybe the instructor should be failed.

edited to add sculling for movement instead of proper finning or sculling instead of buoyancy control is a problem. Sculling for a gentle push when you don't want to fin (say when someone is too close to you and you don't want to kick them)is different. Cover these points in brief/debriefs.

I don't see anything wrong with an open water diver using their hands for minor corrections, fish use their pectorals all the time.

I have seen an increase in flailers where hands, arms and elbows are in constant movement. Instructors should definitely let their students know that it is an inefficient means of locomotion and will increase their air consumption.

....My question is should hand swimming be an absolute standards violation of all agencies across the board resulting in open water course failure?

If not, how much hand swimming or sculling is acceptable?

How do you define control?

No hand swimming should be allowed.... by this I mean using the hands and arms for propulsion, constantly sculling to maintain position, etc.

I will very occasionally gently back-scull with my hands in addition to a back frog kick if I've totally been a dufus and let myself get too close to the reef in the often "surgey" conditions here in East Hawaii... but I assume you are talking about the near-constant hand and arm motion you see sometimes with some divers.

Best wishes.

how do you certify someone with out legs?

Mind you I do not use my hands for any of this. However who are you to say its right or wrong if nothing is being touched. Is the only way to mow your lawn the way you mow it. Maybe you should ask your neighbor.

Mind you I do not use my hands for any of this. However who are you to say its right or wrong if nothing is being touched. Is the only way to mow your lawn the way you mow it. Maybe you should ask your neighbor.

I think the point Trace is trying to make is whether an instructor should make a real effort to correct improper technique whe he/she sees it.

Using your hands/arms as propulsion (unless you are a disabled diver) generally shows a lack a training/skill. Using your arms as propulsion is highly innefficient, will cause you to have buoyancy "issues" or results from buoyancy issues, and burns through your gas supply because you are expending too much energy.

These issues can and should be addressed in basic OW instruction (where they are easiest to fix), not further down the line when they become 2nd nature and have to be un-learned.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom