DIR- Generic Diver attitude! Be careful, experienced divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was doing cenote dives with an instructor friend of mine whose LP inflator didn't work so her hose was disconnected. Big cave diver guy waved her down and kind of rudely pointed it out to her. she simply looked him dead in the eye and told him, "my inflator doesn't work but I know how to blow", pursed her lips and orally inflated her BC.

I
Not to be the dick. but starting a dive into the overhead with a known failure even if it's just a "cenote dive" isn't really a wise idea. I can guarantee if a diver is distracted and suddenly needs to adjust negative buoyancy that blowing into the inflator is not going to be that fast compared to hitting a button. Its pretty frowned upon to start an overhead dive with a known malfunction like that. I'm sure its fine 99/100 times, but it still isn't wise.

At the same time I wouldn't say a word to the diver cause it's not my place. Maybe I would say "hey idk if you know but your inflator is disconnected" in a friendly way and move on.

But honestly that's not a great example in this instance.

This is pretty funny stuff/stories here and cool too from different parts of the world. Further proof that divers indeed share many common traits.
Here in cave country and Florida in general we see people from all over the world all the time. I've been on dive boats down in Palm Beach County and the Keys usually with some of my cave gear with me if not most of it, and people would ask me about this or that sometimes and I would tell them what it was for, etc. This incident mentioned above could have and should have been a friendly learning experience obviously and nothing else. I've never really understood some folks' attitudes sometimes. I'm not perfect either...

Sounds like you were unfortunate to be the cooler head on a boat full hot tempers and know-it-alls.

Thank you for being the better person.

Hi,

I just wanted to post about an incident that I witnessed and it turned ugly quite quickly.

.... and one of the obviously new divers criticized a long hose setup saying "this is not PADI standard". That's it, that's all what he said.
Well, new diver learned a valuable lesson, dont be a troll.

Interesting though, I've been diving a 7' hose since about 1997 for all of my dives (before that just tec) and never once has anyone even mentioned it on a recreational dive boat.

I wouldnt worry about this kind of behavior becoming an epidemic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom