Diver assaults another diver underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone did that to me while I was filming at 50 fsw, I'd be the one charged with attempted murder (unless my lawyer can get the jury to believe it was self-defense)

I think it's important to recognize that some of the opposition to the commercial collection of aquarium fishes is not so much the removal of fish as it is the damage done to the reefs during the collection process. Certainly, there are extremists who object to all sorts of things, including hook and line fishing. Here in NJ we have people who go into the woods banging metal pots on the opening day of bear season. As obnoxious and deluded as these extremists are, physically attacking them in any way is and should be a serious crime.

I'm a fish collector myself, but not commercially or in any way for profit. I have three salt water aquariums, and I hand collect all the inhabitants. I seldom keep more than 2 or 3 fish in a year, and am scrupulously careful not to damage anything. I prefer to collect around man-made structure, like docks, shallow wrecks, etc.

I've collected my own aquarium specimens for about the past 40 years. For me it's an added dimension to my aquarium hobby. I'm pretty good at both fish collecting and fish keeping. Most of my fish live long lives in large uncrowded aquaria. Several, like a pair of Clownfish, a Rock Beauty, and a Spotted Drum, have been with me more than 10 years. I also enjoy collecting some of the juvenile reef fishes that the Gulf Stream brings to NJ waters in late summer. When the water temps drop in October they all die anyway. These fish I usually give to friends, and a few rarities to local public aquariums.

Most dive operations will not permit collecting. I don't blame them, seeing the damage done by inept vacation divers, photographers, and all sorts of rowdy types who think it great fun to harass sea creatures or break off pieces of the reef for souvenirs.

I have no objection to commercial fish collecting if done legally, without chemicals, and without any damage to the reef. Fish collecting, done properly, is a very difficult business. I do have an objection to acts of violence, except those done to protect oneself or others from lunatics out there who feel justified in endangering and hurting people because they are annoyed about something. These people are nothing but thugs and should be locked away.

---------- Post added May 14th, 2014 at 12:04 PM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen paparazzi get closer and not been attacked. I have also seen a camera person being attacked and the aggressor going to jail for assault. It looked to me, BASED ON THE VIDEOS I HAVE SEEN, that she was far enough away that harassment is not possible and then the taunt at the end of one shows that the guy is still aggressive. It would be better for the world to dispose of people like that, IMO.

To use my friend, Dr. Bill, as an example since he's willing to stand his ground imagine this:

I swim up to Dr. Bill and rip his mask off and pull the regulator out of his mouth, not once, but a couple times while he's working. I swim away whipping him a middle finger salute. Then, I get a couple of buddies to film wide while I film with a GoPro. I approach again filming while he comes over to give me a taste of my own medicine. After that, I contact the police, deny any involvement or previous harassment, and have at least three different camera angles of a psychotic enraged marine biologist and documentary filmmaker going berserk for apparently no reason and attacking me. No one bothers to connect the dots that I work for an organization that believes scientists are abusing fish.

Headline: Dr. Bill of Dive Dry with Dr. Bill Will be Diving Dry from a Prison Cell ...

"The esteemed marine biologist assaulted a diver who might have died as a result of an unprovoked attack Wed. Morning off Catalina ..."

I think it's way too strange that a guy musters all of that immediate aggression to just swim up to a diver for apparently no reason and rip the reg from her mouth.

Now, if the one news source was correct in reporting that they were involved in illegal activity then maybe it wasn't a set up and the dude reacted the way a criminal might while being filmed.

Wait! Does anyone know where Alec Baldwin was that day? :)

With her experience as an instructor quoted here: Diver allegedly attacked by fish collector | Hawaii Tribune-Herald, I'm surprised she didn't do a better job of defending her regulator. In a good rescue class, dealing with a diver going after your mask and regulator, you cover both and kick away from your attacker. Looks to me from different camera angles that the whole situation was planned or some sort of reaction was anticipated.

I think I found a new marketplace for my classes. :D

In one of my class, my buddy team mate ripped my reg out of my mouth (result of part of training exercise, another story). I think after that, if I see someone swimming toward me at full speed, my first thought is the diver needs air, and will be to donate my long hose and go to my back up. "Covering both and kick away" the diver is something haven't come across my mind until I saw this video. I think if I can't trust another diver NOT to attack me underwater, then diving just become a very different sport.

To use my friend, Dr. Bill, as an example since he's willing to stand his ground imagine this:

I swim up to Dr. Bill and rip his mask off and pull the regulator out of his mouth, not once, but a couple times while he's working. I swim away whipping him a middle finger salute. Then, I get a couple of buddies to film wide while I film with a GoPro. I approach again filming while he comes over to give me a taste of my own medicine. After that, I contact the police, deny any involvement or previous harassment, and have at least three different camera angles of a psychotic enraged marine biologist and documentary filmmaker going berserk for apparently no reason and attacking me. No one bothers to connect the dots that I work for an organization that believes scientists are abusing fish.

Headline: Dr. Bill of Dive Dry with Dr. Bill Will be Diving Dry from a Prison Cell ...

"The esteemed marine biologist assaulted a diver who might have died as a result of an unprovoked attack Wed. Morning off Catalina ..."

I think it's way too strange that a guy musters all of that immediate aggression to just swim up to a diver for apparently no reason and rip the reg from her mouth.

Gee, that doesn't sound like Sea Shepard tactics at all. Haha.

They are one of the biggest group of pussies I have ever seen.

Their ethos appears to be "do whatever it takes". And that has been apparent from episodes of whale wars.

But when someone on the other side gives them a boo boo, they make a big show and cry foul. Pussies.

Curious, was there assault or attempted murder charges brought against the dip****s when they caused a collision at sea in the southern oceans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In one of my class, my buddy team mate ripped my reg out of my mouth (result of part of training exercise, another story). I think after that, if I see someone swimming toward me at full speed, my first thought is the diver needs air, and will be to donate my long hose and go to my back up. "Covering both and kick away" the diver is something haven't come across my mind until I saw this video. I think if I can't trust another diver NOT to attack me underwater, then diving just become a very different sport.

Much of what used to be taught in dive rescue was modified from lifeguarding techniques. All of the same things apply to an underwater rescue as a surface rescue. Donating a regulator might not end a diver's panic even if he or she gets air/gas. Just like a lifeguard might find himself being attacked by the victim who is trying to climb his body to get out of the water even after establishing positive buoyancy of the victim. I've had two victims try to climb onto the top of my head after I had them in a cross-chest carry. What you want to do is protect yourself and push away. We used to try to maintain contact with the victim, but now they want us to swim away then return. I found myself getting pretty beat up while rescuing a tech diver in FL on the bottom on a wreck. Even after he had gas he went into panic mode three times during deco.

I agree, and he has a witness to corroborate his story that a judge would definitely consider. I can't think of what the photographer would have had to do to justify what the fisherman did though. It doesn't appear that he was defending himself in the video, he is clearly the aggressor...in the video.

[...]
Nice piece of fiction, there. Do you have anything at all - except your own vivid imagination - suggesting that a similar scenario took place in the real world?

I have absolutely no respect for Sea Sheperd and consider it an organization full of liars - I saw the leader, whatshisname on TV claiming that a coast guard ship had rammed them, while the video clearly showed their boat doing a ninety degree turn immediately in front of said coast guard ship to cross its path - but srsly!

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom