Diver and non-diving family vacation suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suggest Cozumel since the diving is great, the water is warm and the town is full of markets, great eating and usually some live entertainment in the evening at the city square in the downtown park. It's safe and friendly too. Puerto Vallarta is also great fun, lots of things to see and some dandy diving too.

Last edited:
IMO your family will be bored to tears on Bonaire. Plus only the Plaza AI Resort or pricier Harbor Village have a decent beach. Most of the commonly mentioned dive resorts have none. And most of the dive sites are on ironshore with no facilities.

Curacao by contrast has the same or better diving, almost all the nice beaches atr also dive sites and 90% of them have on=site dive operations - most with food also. There's also a lot more to fo there, historic forts, shopping, the Sea Aquarium, nicer newer resorts. Sunscape where SB holds the Invasions is in town, has Ocean Encounters on-site and is a former Breezes Family resort.
Lions Dive Resort is 10 mins. southeast of town, can be done with a meal plan, is a short walk to both the aquarium or Mambo Blvd shops and has the main Ocean Encounters shop 50 yds. away. The Dive Bus will also pick you up at either location for guided shore dives. too much to list so www.curacao.com

Maui would certainly work also but it can be pricey for 4. Lots of excellent beaches and other tourist attractions, from there you can boat dive Molokini Crater, the Cathedrals off Labai, along the Maui coat or shoredive off the beaches - guided or not.

Equally pricey is the Beaches AI resort on Providenciales (Provo) Turks and Caicos. Outstanding beaches, Grace Bay is one of the nicest in the world, excellent deep wall diving. The resort has it's own diveop or others will pick you up. The best dives are an hour plus away off West Caicos or tiny French Cay - you won't get back much b4 3pm - they provide lunch on the boat as both islands are not populated.

hth

On a recent cruise ship stop at Curacao, I was impressed at how 'built up' Willemstad was compared to Bonaire. Made me think of what Bonaire might look like...in 50+ years! Scuba Board did a 2015 Surge event to Curacao, and here's a link to a thread they had on Things To Do In Curacao.

Richard.

I suggest Cozumel since the diving is great, the water is warm and the town is full of markets, great eating and usually some live entertainment in the evening at the city square in the downtown park. It's safe and friendly too. Puerto Vallarta is also great fun, lots of things to see and some dandy diving too.

Just and FYI, Cozumel is a great place for both divers and non-divers, but keep in mind that the US State Department has currently issued a travel advisory against taking the ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel (i.e., doing the "bag drag") but there are NO advisories against visiting Cozumel, see below.

I just mention this because some folks might prefer options for direct flight to Cozumel, especially when traveling with family members, but it is possible that the advisory against the ferry service may be lifted in the future.

U.S. government personnel are still prohibited from using ferry services between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel until further notice. U.S. citizens should not use ferry services operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel to other parts of Quintana Roo state, including tourist areas such as: Cancun, Cozumel, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya

Just and FYI, Cozumel is a great place for both divers and non-divers, but keep in mind that the US State Department has currently issued a travel advisory against taking the ferry from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel (i.e., doing the "bag drag") but there are NO advisories against visiting Cozumel, see below.

I just mention this because some folks might prefer options for direct flight to Cozumel, especially when traveling with family members, but it is possible that the advisory against the ferry service may be lifted in the future.

U.S. government personnel are still prohibited from using ferry services between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel until further notice. U.S. citizens should not use ferry services operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel to other parts of Quintana Roo state, including tourist areas such as: Cancun, Cozumel, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya
Good point. We don't mind the bag drag, but if I had young children along with me, I would consider avoiding it. Coz overall is a much safer place than many of the cities in CA so I've not worried too much about that. I would walk the streets of Coz later in the evening before I would do that in some of the nearby cities in CA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom