Diver and non-diving family vacation suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aldijo2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive but my wife an 2 kids (11,9) don’t. Any reccomendations on a vacation destination fo July of this year? I’m open to suggestion in the Caribbean, Atlantic or Pacific.
Thanks!

For a combination of top-side entertainment opportunities, along with pretty decent diving, as well as convenience of access, I don't think you can beat the Riviera Maya. Lots of opportunities for both anywhere from Cancun to Tulum.

Our preference is Puerto Aventuras, but there are others.

Any hotel or resort in particular?
I go almost exclusively for the diving so stay on the East End of Grand Cayman and Westpunt in Curacao. I would imagine for a non-diving family, Seven Mile Beach or West Bay would be a better choice on Grand Cayman and somewhere closer to Willemstad on Curacao. There are many fine accommodations, others could better advise you

Agree with poster above....Cozumel so you can dive while they beach and pool for a few days. Then head back to mainland and see Tulum and Chichen Itza, etc., and cenotes. They can snorkel and swim cenotes while you dive the same one as well.

If you just want 2 or 3 days of diving and a great vacation for your family I can’t recommend Club Med Cancun enough. Your kids will cry when they have to leave. There is so much to do for adults and kids alike. Other resorts may have a a few peoplle on the activities staff, Club Med has hundreds.

The disadvantage is the travel time to diving in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel to dive. I leave my wife to tennis, Zumba, sail, waterski, archery while I do diving and get back in time for late lunch from Playa or Dinner fro Cozumel. Their Dive Center can arrange all transport.

If you want to dive every day though it is way to much travel time.

We just came back from Puerto Aventuras. Not a first choice for scuba, but a good choice for a family vacation with some diving.1hour south of Cancun. The area's coral is struggling at some sights, but fun and easy diving with turtles, a nurse shark and more. Quick boat trip from the dock, with surface interval by the hotel pool . Great facility and outstanding service from the dive shop at the Omni hotel "Dive Aventuras". I arranged everything through them. We dove in the morning and went for a Tulum tour in the afternoon. Also another full day tour including Coba. The nondivers had a great time. We all snorkeled in front of the hotel. My husband and I enjoyed some diving, and we all had a fun time together.

I dive but my wife an 2 kids (11,9) don’t. Any reccomendations on a vacation destination fo July of this year? I’m open to suggestion in the Caribbean, Atlantic or Pacific.
Thanks!

St. Croix is a nice option for both diving and family activities. They were hit by hurricanes earlier this year but apparently rebuilding is well underway and they are expected to be fully back in business in a couple of months.

And don't forget about Florida because southern Florida and the Keys are great for both diving and topside activities.

I would recommend Puerto Rico, but that is were you are from! So have you been to Bermuda? Or consider coming up to Boston area for wetsuit diving for lobsters, then take kids to Tea Party ship and Bunker Hill.

Back
Top Bottom