Diver and Marine Biologist :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@marbiologista and @drbill, have you read The Martian by Andy Weir, or seen the movie? It's about a Botanist who proves himself to be a smart and resourceful individual when stuck in a harsh, alien environment!

I've seen the movie. Botanists are probably well prepared for survival through their knowledge of plants (both edible and poisonous)

Hey everyone,

after my first question I'll do the introductions as well.

From and currently living in northern Germany, working as a PhD student in Marine Botany - that means any seaweed questions, feel free to ask :)

I did my PADI OWD in Germany and on the Maldives at 10 years old and followed with the AOWD + Nitrox in Egypt when I turned 14. I've dabbed into dry suits then as well, diving some German lakes and the Baltic, but never really continued. My diving has mostly been during family vacations to warmer places a highlight being the cenotes in Mexico. Some 8 years ago I stopped because my parents didn't dive anymore due to health issues.

Last year at 26, I picked it up again, because who can say no to diving the Poor Knights when on a work trip to NZ :wink:
I plan to get some routine again and then get some further training, hopefully until dive master at some point.

Fun fact: Appearantly my air consumption is super low due to slow metabolism, but that also means I freeze like crazy really fast...can't have everything.

Looking forward to a great time here!
welcome aboard, you need to plan to come to Cozumel, you will fall in love with it, great to read the places that you dove already, i was working in Maldives and red sea, lovely places!!! keep in touch

Welcome @marbiologista! I have a question for you, in recent years there have been significant increases in sargassum seaweed washing ashore on beaches on many Caribbean islands and Central American shores.

What causes that to happen, is it due to global warming? Is there a good website where you can monitor the current sargassum situation? Is there a good way to clean-up the beaches? I have heard that removing the sargassum from beaches may damage sea turtle nests, but if you leave it on shore it makes huge piles that rot and stink!

I haven't worked with Sargassum before or read up much, but I'll do so if I have some time available - right now I'm travelling, but there is a really good article by one of my former professors from 2013 entitled "Green and golden seaweed tides on the rise". Golden being the Sargassum tide. Paste this to the search bar to find it: doi:10.1038/nature12860

Now, Sam, I am a marine botanist specializing in giant kelp! We still get sea lettuce (Ulva) out here on the island.

Always good to have another marine biologist on board. Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome - I'm working on kelp as well actually, not the giant one though.

@marbiologista and @drbill, have you read The Martian by Andy Weir, or seen the movie? It's about a Botanist who proves himself to be a smart and resourceful individual when stuck in a harsh, alien environment!

I did and liked it a lot! Probably the first time a botanist gets to be the hero :wink:

Herzlich willkommen!
I wish I started scuba diving when I was younger like you but better late than never. It will be fun to hear about your Marine Botany studies. If you ever get to California it would be my pleasure to show you our amazing Kelp Forests here in Monterey.

~Rebecca

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom