Diver and Marine Biologist :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marbiologista

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

after my first question I'll do the introductions as well.

From and currently living in northern Germany, working as a PhD student in Marine Botany - that means any seaweed questions, feel free to ask :)

I did my PADI OWD in Germany and on the Maldives at 10 years old and followed with the AOWD + Nitrox in Egypt when I turned 14. I've dabbed into dry suits then as well, diving some German lakes and the Baltic, but never really continued. My diving has mostly been during family vacations to warmer places a highlight being the cenotes in Mexico. Some 8 years ago I stopped because my parents didn't dive anymore due to health issues.

Last year at 26, I picked it up again, because who can say no to diving the Poor Knights when on a work trip to NZ :wink:
I plan to get some routine again and then get some further training, hopefully until dive master at some point.

Fun fact: Appearantly my air consumption is super low due to slow metabolism, but that also means I freeze like crazy really fast...can't have everything.

Looking forward to a great time here!

Welcome aboard. You've had some diverse experience in there. Nice to see a Marine Biologist on the forum; from time to time young people ask how to become one, but it seems the odds of it happening in a given case are very low.

Richard.

Welcome !
I apologize I can speak but not write German
A good botanist is needed on this board- I believe you are the first one!

A question - some years ago - over 1/2 century ago before pollution arrived I uses to collect sea lettuce as an addition to my salads- very crisp and refreshing addition.

Perhaps you could create a list of marine plants that were edible - common name and scientific name

Once again a big Welcome !'

Sam Miller, 111

Thanks for the welcome :)

it seems the odds of it happening in a given case are very low..

True, it's a childhood dream for many - I wanted to become one since 6 years old and seeing my parents dive :wink: Somehow it worked and I love my job!

A question - some ears ago - over 1/2 century ago before pollution arrived I uses to collect sea lettuce as an addition to my salads- very crisp and refreshing addition.

Perhaps you could create a list of marine plants that were edible - common name and scientific name

Seaweed are great food still! Sea lettuce is really nice. I'll be happy to start one as soon as there is some time. It mostly depends on where you collect them, but some are tastier than others :wink: Part of my graduate studies was done in a lab for seaweed aquaculture research in China actually.

Welcome @marbiologista! I have a question for you, in recent years there have been significant increases in sargassum seaweed washing ashore on beaches on many Caribbean islands and Central American shores.

What causes that to happen, is it due to global warming? Is there a good website where you can monitor the current sargassum situation? Is there a good way to clean-up the beaches? I have heard that removing the sargassum from beaches may damage sea turtle nests, but if you leave it on shore it makes huge piles that rot and stink!

A good botanist is needed on this board- I believe you are the first one!

Sam Miller, 111

Now, Sam, I am a marine botanist specializing in giant kelp! We still get sea lettuce (Ulva) out here on the island.

Always good to have another marine biologist on board. Welcome!

Hey everyone,

after my first question I'll do the introductions as well.

From and currently living in northern Germany, working as a PhD student in Marine Botany - that means any seaweed questions, feel free to ask :)

I did my PADI OWD in Germany and on the Maldives at 10 years old and followed with the AOWD + Nitrox in Egypt when I turned 14. I've dabbed into dry suits then as well, diving some German lakes and the Baltic, but never really continued. My diving has mostly been during family vacations to warmer places a highlight being the cenotes in Mexico. Some 8 years ago I stopped because my parents didn't dive anymore due to health issues.

Last year at 26, I picked it up again, because who can say no to diving the Poor Knights when on a work trip to NZ :wink:
I plan to get some routine again and then get some further training, hopefully until dive master at some point.

Fun fact: Appearantly my air consumption is super low due to slow metabolism, but that also means I freeze like crazy really fast...can't have everything.

Looking forward to a great time here!

Welcome aboard. You've had some diverse experience in there. Nice to see a Marine Biologist on the forum; from time to time young people ask how to become one, but it seems the odds of it happening in a given case are very low.

Richard.

Now, Sam, I am a marine botanist specializing in giant kelp! We still get sea lettuce (Ulva) out here on the island.

Always good to have another marine biologist on board. Welcome!

@marbiologista and @drbill, have you read The Martian by Andy Weir, or seen the movie? It's about a Botanist who proves himself to be a smart and resourceful individual when stuck in a harsh, alien environment!

Welcome @marbiologista! I have a question for you, in recent years there have been significant increases in sargassum seaweed washing ashore on beaches on many Caribbean islands and Central American shores.

What causes that to happen, is it due to global warming? Is there a good website where you can monitor the current sargassum situation? Is there a good way to clean-up the beaches? I have heard that removing the sargassum from beaches may damage sea turtle nests, but if you leave it on shore it makes huge piles that rot and stink!

Welcome its a great place here on sb (ive lurked as a guest for a few years)

Im wondering this aswell since each time im in town (australia and theres a few sea grass beds here) i just see clumps floating off in the changing tide makes for interesting fun when fishing because it can seem like theres only seaweed to find a fish on the hook (im catch and relese btw only kept out long enough to get a pic and to remove the circle hook (circle hooks cause less harm and only gets the fish in the mouth so less chance of needing to remove a fish) ) plus it does reak when its summer and its dried out after a day.

Back
Top Bottom