DiveOptx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgsnmky

Registered
Reaction score
Stupid question, but I want to try these out this weekend in my pool before heading to Mexico and my LDS is closed. I just bought some DiveOptx today and am trying to install them. Pretty much is all it says is to use warm water, instert them, get the air bubbles and water out an pat them dry.

I am having a heck of a time getting all the water out from under it, and when I am even close then they start moving around. Does it really start to stick after 24 hours. Any suggestions from those who have used them.

I also just found an old thread about stick on ones from drugstores. Has anyone used these recently.

The idea is to press as much water as possible out of the space. Then you have to wait for some of the rest to evaporate.

I've been repeatedly disappointed with the adherence of Dive Optix, even when I've been meticulous about installing them and waiting the prescribed period. They aren't cheap, and my husband and I eventually went to bifocal lenses in our masks because we kept losing the Dive Optix.

When I lost my prescription mask in LA, I bought a replacement but had to get the Dive Optix to put in it. They didn't stick at all, the first time, and the second time, I lost one lens by the end of the dive.

My wife used diveoptix for a couple years. We had no problem installing them by the instructions and they never came loose. After almost 2 years they started having a fogging problem and none of the anti-fog prescriptions would prevent it. I concluded that surface of the material probably changed a bit over time. BTW, she is now very happy with a proper (and expensive) prescription dive mask.

TSandM - when you say they came off by the end of the dive...do they come off while you are in teh water with your mask on during the dive and just sit in your mask and move around. That would freak me out a little!

Recently I purchased a set from LeasurePro.com (I have to use +2.0 reading glasses), and figured out, that the listed on the box procedure is incomplete - they say nothing about degreasing the inner side of the glass! When one uses defogger, or any "natural substance" (you know what I mean! :)), it leaves tiny, invisible layer on the inner side of the mask glass which will prevent the lenses from sticking. To remove this layer, try cleaning the mask with pure alcohol (above 95%), or at least with dishwashing liquid, until you obtain "squeaking" clean glass (but if you check the "squeak", you have to clean again the mark of your finger! :)). Now, fill the mask with water, attach the lenses, and carefully drain the water. The lenses at this moment will move, so you might have to fill the mask again, and repeat, until you get the lenses on their right places. After this wait 12 hours to dry, and forget they exist - use defogger, rinse, clean do everything you do with a mask, they will stay firmly fixed! I tested mine this weekend in Beaufort, NC, and I am very pleased with the result!

Can you use defogger after affixing the lens?

When I apply mine, I first use eyeglasses cleaning fluid and a microfiber cloth.

Then, I follow the directions and I've been very happy with the adhesion. My only problem is that they don't stay as fog free as the mask glass. I have to defog for each dive.

Can you use defogger after affixing the lens?

Pufferpunk, at least I used defogger with mine, and it worked fine. Additionally the lenses do not fog as the glass on the mask - I believe, because they are plastic...

I had 1.5 and 2.5 diopter Optix lenses that stayed in place wonderfully. Now I'm using 3.0 lenses and one of them keeps lifting off at the edge...anyone tried gluing them in place?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom