Divemaster training/internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Training will probably be done by more than one instructor anyway as you will be out and about learning all the different aspects of the job. Better to find a centre where the team works well together.

Totally agree with you Kat! We believe that DM candidates get more out of their courses by being taught by and working with a strong team instead of just 1 individual.

Last edited:
I would suggest Key Largo FL. Rainbow Reef Diver Center is a Career Development center and offers a internship ship up to MSDT Instructor. I have heard alot of people who liked it.

Not heard of that place, where on koh phi phi is it?

:rofl3: Well done!

I would contact Watboy. I went diving with him this weekend and would respect his opinion especially after seeing what a good DM he is. I did my DMT on the other side in the Samui area. PM if your interested, but it really comes down to the instructor you will be primarily paired with IMO. Your time of year favors the Andaman side of Thailand. Other factors may be things you can do outside of diving. Lanta I would imagine has a much more laid back night life for example. Phuket will have a larger assortment of things to do outside of scuba. Best to visit a few locations and see things first hand if you can.

I would suggest Key Largo FL. Rainbow Reef Diver Center is a Career Development center and offers a internship ship up to MSDT Instructor. I have heard alot of people who liked it.

Just another misguided sales pitch no doubt.

I am in the same position as aeronca,

currently in contact with a few centres, one especially has caught my attention but i cannot find a great deal of information as Colombo in Sri Lanka doesn't seem to be 'popular' destination. Has anybody dived there and/or has any advice on training with a smaller outfit?

thanks

Jez

Totally agree with you Kat! We believe that DM candidates get more out of their courses by being taught by and working with a strong team instead of just 1 individual.

I remember learning with at least 3 instructors during my DM course back in Cyprus. Yes, it's all about mentoring, but a look at differet styles of instructors helps too. You have to take the system, whichever you choose and make it yours. Sure there are standards, but it's you who will interact with customers. It's a great way to build confidence.

I remember learning with at least 3 instructors during my DM course back in Cyprus. Yes, it's all about mentoring, but a look at differet styles of instructors helps too. You have to take the system, whichever you choose and make it yours. Sure there are standards, but it's you who will interact with customers. It's a great way to build confidence.

I agree here 100% from what I have seen in my time diving, standards in Europe are far higher than those I have recently witnessed.

I agree here 100% from what I have seen in my time diving, standards in Europe are far higher than those I have recently witnessed.

Sorry you had to go through that.:shakehead: You can get the quality and high standards here. It really is about the team in the shop! Thailand is a great place to come and learn the trade, so to speak. Each region has its own character, and resorts within those differ too. Everyone should research and come up with a short list of where you want to stay, then sort out the dive centre. Ok, cost is not always a guarantee of standard, but don't go cheap for the sake of it. Build a rapport with your chosen centre, you can usually smell the BS coming from the dodgy ones! I had a great DM course when I was learning, and I do my best to make sure my team do the same for my customers.:D

That is not a fair statement to make. Standards are low at shops that have low standards, and those can be anywhere based on the professionalism and integrity of the staff, not of the location. I enjoyed my DMT immensely in Thailand, and do not have a single complaint for my program. I had the pleasure of learning from several quality instructors, experienced working with many excellent DM's, and made many new friends. I wish i could do it again actually.

That is not a fair statement to make. Standards are low at shops that have low standards, and those can be anywhere based on the professionalism and integrity of the staff, not of the location. I enjoyed my DMT immensely in Thailand, and do not have a single complaint for my program. I had the pleasure of learning from several quality instructors, experienced working with many excellent DM's, and made many new friends. I wish i could do it again actually.

Having dived extensively around the World over a number of years. I have to agree with the Penguin, and now I am not saying all in Thailand is bad and everywhere else is good because that is most certainly not the case.
But almost exclusively my bad experiences whilst diving have been in the wonderfull city of Pattaya, Thailand.
For a start, due to legislation, standards of boats and safety equipment/procedures adopted, supplied air and equipment are far superior in Europe.
For example, I am only a few minutes ago reading another thread about leaky cylinders with oil'y air. With the strict controlls in force over cylinder testing and filling, that almost certainly would not happen in Europe.
If it is a honest account of his experiences how can you say the Penguins post is not fair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom