Divemaster training/internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aeronca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to do Divemaster training or internship. AOW and min experience so looking to spend some time to get the experience I need. Thinking about Phi Phi, or somewhere roundabout. Possible starting times Nov-January. Would love to hear if anyone has any recommendations on good places to go. Thanks very much in advance.

Best to avoid shops that use IDC students as instructors, I have just done some diving in Thailand recently, and am less than impressed with this system.
If I were you I would seek out a shop that uses full time professional staff, and hopefully you will have a better experience than I did.
Best of luck, if you find a good DC I would be most pleased to hear about it.

Looking to do Divemaster training or internship. AOW and min experience so looking to spend some time to get the experience I need. Thinking about Phi Phi, or somewhere roundabout. Possible starting times Nov-January. Would love to hear if anyone has any recommendations on good places to go. Thanks very much in advance.

I did my DMT with Lanta Diver on Koh Lanta and can not say enough good things about them. They were patient, the course was thorough and the staff very friendly. I spent 3 months there doing Rescue through DMT. In general, I was very impressed with the dive shops I met on Koh Lanta.

I think it also depends on what you are looking for apart from diving, Koh Lanta is a lovely place very relaxed and peaceful, and I have also heard good things about Lanta Diver. I would avoid Phi Phi if I were you, as many dive centre's are looking for Divemaster trainee's(DMT's) to work also, and I have even seen with my own eye's DMT's being asked to take discover scuba divers out.
I have a centre here on Phuket and would be willing to help you if you decided to come here to do it.
What I would say is to choose the instructor who is going to do your course, not the dive centre, make sure you find out who your main instructor will be and how much experience he/she has, how many dives, how many certifications, how many DM certifications etc etc, as I have seen newly certified instructors teaching DM courses before and it is really not what you want.

I hope this helps you and feel free to email me if you have any more questions or queries.

Since the OP asks about Phi Phi: I have taught some IDC's where Divemasters from Island Diving attended.

I had a very positive impression of them: dedicated, well prepared, good skills. So I would recommend them.

I would suggest Key Largo FL. Rainbow Reef Diver Center is a Career Development center and offers a internship ship up to MSDT Instructor. I have heard alot of people who liked it.

I would suggest Key Largo FL. Rainbow Reef Diver Center is a Career Development center and offers a internship ship up to MSDT Instructor. I have heard alot of people who liked it.

Not heard of that place, where on koh phi phi is it?

The point about DMTs being asked to take out Discover Scuba customers. I've come across this here too. Only to say that what I saw was not from a PADI Dive Centre, but from a centre where PADI individual members worked.

Training will probably be done by more than one instructor anyway as you will be out and about learning all the different aspects of the job. Better to find a centre where the team works well together.

Thanks everyone so far, I am reading all the replies and taking it all in. I am not set on Phi Phi, just thought it looked like a nice place to spend some time.
Thanks Stevenl, and Watboy, I will look into Island Diving and Lanta Diver.
Divingguru, I will send you and e-mail when I finally get a bit of time to set down and come up with some intelligent questions for you, as I have not ruled out Phuket.
Divingguru, and Penguin Tom, if you feel it is appropriate, send me a private message on those negative experiences as it would be great know.

In case you are interested, we have formalised our Divemaster Internship packages for this season.

Divemaster Internship Thailand

However, this experience is not for everybody. The island is quite rustic. If you are looking for nightlife then this is not the place to come. On the other hand if you fancy hanging out with the Moken sea gypsies then sign up fast.

Back
Top Bottom