Divemaster & Instructor Qualifications: Your Opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with your first paragraph. I don't know about the second. I have aways been a water-baby, but I had real fears about mask clearing. I mean big ones. It took me several years to really clear them up. I teach mask skills fantastically because I absolutely get it. I know all issues there. Many instructors can, (all should), be able to read their student. That is a key part of being a great instructor.

IMHO, if mask clearing took you several years to clear up the fears, you fall into a small minority category of Instructors. It may not be the same small minority as Walter falls into but how many scuba instructors do you know who took years to "master" mask clearing? My definition of a "water comfy decent swimmer" would be someone who could not be challenged by mask clearing the very first time.

Your evidently different definition of "water comfy decent swimmer" does not change my feeling that the vast majority of scuba instructors really do not understand the fears of the typical struggling OW student.

halemanō;5394355:
IMHO, if mask clearing took you several years to clear up the fears, you fall into a small minority category of Instructors. It may not be the same small minority as Walter falls into but how many scuba instructors do you know who took years to "master" mask clearing? My definition of a "water comfy decent swimmer" would be someone who could not be challenged by mask clearing the very first time.

Your evidently different definition of "water comfy decent swimmer" does not change my feeling that the vast majority of scuba instructors really do not understand the fears of the typical struggling OW student.

That's true. Anyone who spent time at the beach as a kid or who went swimming in a pool with no goggles could not be seriously challenged by a bit of fog or water in their mask, or getting it knocked by a stray fin.

In 256 of the deaths, no line was used. 36% of those that died did not even have a single light, and 49 percent had only one light, 9 percent only had two lights. When cave diving, a trained diver carries three or more lights, and only 5 percent of those that died carried three or more (as a trained cave diver would do)...

Cool! It's safer to cave dive with no lights than it is one! :D

On another note, based on number of posts only, it would seem that what makes an Instructor better qualified is which agency he or she instructs for. Not sure that was the intended question, but hey, the agency arguments never get old! I just love em.

Ya know, speaking of that, I bet everyone here knows of a simply great instructor for any agency and a really crappy one for any agency as well. Hmmm... Funny when someone asks what makes a great instructor (if this thread is any indicator), it comes down to the certifying agency, but when one asks what the best agency, the answer is always "It depends on the instructor".

From what I gather here so far, apparently various combinations of the certifying agency, experience, instinct, skills, teaching ability, empathy and organization may, or may not have an influence in contributing to a truly qualified instructor. Or not.

halemanō;5394355:

This is where I have to humbly disagree with you - it is the instructors job to not only understand the fears of the typical struggling OW student, but to offer suggestions as to the best way to overcome those fears using various methods, while reassuring those that they are not alone - others have experienced and overcome the same thing.

I would go so far as to suggest that the good instructors not only know those fears, but a whole host of other ones that the stuggling student has no concept of at their stage of enlightenment. It is the instructor that can empathize, show confidence, and resolve the problem while the student feels as if they under a knowing, watchful eye that makes the grade. The one that get easily frustrated, or cannot feel the things you suggest will not last too long in this area.

Last edited:
Arizona_SVO, here we go again with personal definitions.

I do not remember a time when I had any fear of water other than under age 10 swimming where I could not see shore and not see the bottom; if I could see one I was OK. After I rode my first avalanche I went back up to take pictures and started a couple more. I violate the 3-points rule of free climbing almost every time I climb. The last time I felt fear in white water was when my parents started arguing in serious Snake River rapids in our aluminum canoe when my sister and I were 4 & 5. I am only really in fear of emotional pain inflicted by females.

As I stated before, I can empathize, encourage, educate, give examples, but I do not think even the experience of helping hundreds of struggling scuba students get through those kinds of fears brings me to the point where I understand how they feel. I understand that they do feel fear, but I really do not understand fear.

Did I mention that I am also a retired cliff diver and at age 50 I still do 3 kinds of doubles and a two and a half from more than 10 meters?

I am an extreme case but what I am saying in this thread is that most instructors do not really understand the struggling students fears with things like clearing a mask because most instructors never struggled with clearing a mask and my definition of understanding pretty much means I have experienced it.

If you lamented that you are somewhat depressed because you just lost your second parent to cancer, I understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom