Divemaster/ Instructor earning potential

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandmanz32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im obvisiouly new to diving (check my pro) but definatly love every minute of it. I tend to pick up on things quickly and learn very quick, especially when i put my mind to it. Well what i was curious about was; what does a dive master or an instructor make on average? if it was worth it finanically id definatly quit what im doing now and make an o so much more fun carreer change! Also, if you are a divemaster/ instructor, do you have to affliliate yourself with a LDS or can you practice both independantly? thanks in advance.

Honestly tehre is not much money in Teaching, and Divemastering is all to often done for nothing but tips. Best bet is dive shop ownership, but that is a very risky endeavor.

As a DM for my LDS, I make about $10/student for open water classes only. Any DM'ing for AOW or any specialties is on my own dime. I do it b/c I love it, not to make a living.

diverdiver:
As a DM for my LDS, I make about $10/student for open water classes only. Any DM'ing for AOW or any specialties is on my own dime. I do it b/c I love it, not to make a living.
i love it too but i hate the other job lol. however it pays well, and i have a fam to support. now if i could get rid of it and make a good living diving id much rather do that!

sandmanz32:
"...if it was worth it finanically I'd definitely quit what im doing now and make an o so much more fun carreer change!

Depends on how much you earn NOW really!

If you have a paper-route, I'd say stick with that.

If you're currently picking up cans on the side of the road for the 5-cent deposit, it may be worth becoming a DM instead.

We're supposed to get paid?

I think the only people that do this for a 'real' living, do it in 'real' diving locations.
I'm in texas ..... not exactly a diving Meca.
You're in SC? Probably only marginaly better?
Even if you could make a little money at it, it's one of those things you just gotta do because you love it so much.

PS
Are you young and single?
That would change alot. I wish I'de gotten into this MANY years ago. I'de be teaching in some exotic desination and not care about the money. A shack on the beach and chasin young senioritas!

diverdiver:
That's $10 more than I made. I got free boat rides in exchange for babysitting on the boat all day. I even had to pay for the trip once when we didn't sell enough spots.

Have never made a penny as a Divemaster. Wasn't my motivation in becoming one though ...so not complaining.

sandmanz32:
Im obvisiouly new to diving (check my pro) but definatly love every minute of it. I tend to pick up on things quickly and learn very quick, especially when i put my mind to it. Well what i was curious about was; what does a dive master or an instructor make on average? if it was worth it finanically id definatly quit what im doing now and make an o so much more fun carreer change! Also, if you are a divemaster/ instructor, do you have to affliliate yourself with a LDS or can you practice both independantly? thanks in advance.

:rofl3: Queing up "To Dream the Impossible Dream" in the background and LMFAO :rofl3:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

RJP:
Depends on how much you earn NOW really!

If you have a paper-route, I'd say stick with that.

If you're currently picking up cans on the side of the road for the 5-cent deposit, it may be worth becoming a DM instead.

Ah, I am so stealing that quote

Back
Top Bottom