Divemaster Gear Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never done that. The closest thing I did was in Tech training. My instructor made me wear a blackout mask in a pool and I had to maintain my depth +or- 3' while donning and doffing my gear. Then, while my gear was off, my instructor turned my tank off so when I put it back on.... No air. You had to fix this problem while in a blackout mask without changing depth. Touch the bottom is a fail and go up 3' is a fail.

It was very difficult but supposed to simulate a total silt out in a cave with a difficult swim through. I would rather know I can do it than come up to the situation and find out I can't. That would make switching gear sound easy lol.

I was very worried about this test, but amazingly it turned out to be the easiest part of the course for me. We started with each other's gear on, then simply exchanged units, fins and masks in that order. I don't like the fact that an instructor may not allow starting with each other's gear. Nor the fact that some require switching belts and even suits...???(how do you even DO that?--I assume we're talking shorties?). But that's my opinion that there should be one standard for all. I'm sure many will disagree with me here. Oh, for those just starting DM, don't forget to join the Going Pro sub-forum (my LDS owner gave me his info. so I could join). I learned a ton of useful stuff there.
Swapping exposure protection is not part of the drill.
DM Course Requirements:
Skill 2 — Equipment Exchange
In confined water, have divemaster candidates demonstrate the ability to solve unanticipated problems underwater by exchanging all scuba equipment (except exposure suits and weights) with a buddy while sharing a single regulator second stage, earning at least a 3 as described in the evaluation criteria.

Swapping exposure protection is not part of the drill.

Exactly my point. I have heard of it being required by an instructor to swap suits (how would you do this?). I know for sure that some instructors require swapping belts. As you point out, the requirements state "except weights and exposure". There should be, IMO, one requirement for all--instructors not allowed to add stuff themselves. If swapping belts is a good idea, it should be added to the PADI requirements and then required by all--or else it should be required by none.

Exactly my point. I have heard of it being required by an instructor to swap suits (how would you do this?). I know for sure that some instructors require swapping belts. As you point out, the requirements state "except weights and exposure". There should be, IMO, one requirement for all--instructors not allowed to add stuff themselves. If swapping belts is a good idea, it should be added to the PADI requirements and then required by all--or else it should be required by none.

It seems you are not quite getting the point. There IS one standard required by PADI. Instructors ARE NOT allowed to add or modify standards (AKA "Blue Bold -- The Word of PADI"). If you have been subjected to these "extra" requirements you should report the offending Instructor to PADI.

The Standards are there for a reason: so that EVERYONE is judged on the SAME criteria. Otherwise it stops being OBJECTIVE and morphs into SUBJECTIVE.

Does that help clarify things?

I just completed this exercise yesterday and learned two important things: 1. The best laid plans can go to crap really quick. 2. A tank of air lasts a really loooooonnnnggg time at 10 feet.....you don't get a refund for the unused portion and this isn't a timed exercise, use as much as you need. Took me 2 tries but I got through it, the cold beer afterward tasted rather good.

SubMariner, Yes I understand and agree with you completely. Maybe I just worded it wrong. I didn't mean Instructors are "allowed by PADI" to add to or subtract from requirements. I meant that they do and they shouldn't, as you state. Another example is whether you are allowed to just float (the PADI standard, I believe) or you must (only) tread water on the 10 minute OW tread. Two instructors from our shop vary on this, and I've read on SB of others that don't allow the float. On these tests it would seem very easy and logical for everyone to just require the same PADI requirements.

SubMariner, Yes I understand and agree with you completely. Maybe I just worded it wrong. I didn't mean Instructors are "allowed by PADI" to add to or subtract from requirements. I meant that they do and they shouldn't, as you state. Another example is whether you are allowed to just float (the PADI standard, I believe) or you must (only) tread water on the 10 minute OW tread. Two instructors from our shop vary on this, and I've read on SB of others that don't allow the float. On these tests it would seem very easy and logical for everyone to just require the same PADI requirements.

Here is the information on the float from the PADI Instructor Manual, 2011 Edition, Page 40:
Watermanship
Before Open Water Dive 2, have student divers demonstrate that they can comfortably maintain themselves in water too deep in which to stand by completing a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids.
At some point before certification, have students complete a 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim or a 300 metre/yard swim with mask, fins and snorkel.

Again, this is what the Standards say. If at ANY time you have a questions about whether or not your Instructor was adhering to standards, talk to PADI. They can tell you what the Standards are for a particular skill. If what your Instructor is doing significantly varies from that, then you need to tell them about it.

Hey guys please educate me here. Why would anyone ever need to have this particular skill?
I understand the buddy breathing bit and removing all your own gear bit but why a swap?
I would have thought a strip and tank (regulator) swapout -off of and back onto your BC would be a more usefull drill.
I'm struggling to see a senario where you would ever swap your gear with someone else.

Hey guys please educate me here. Why would anyone ever need to have this particular skill?
I understand the buddy breathing bit and removing all your own gear bit but why a swap?
I would have thought a strip and tank (regulator) swapout -off of and back onto your BC would be a more usefull drill.
I'm struggling to see a senario where you would ever swap your gear with someone else.

Go back & read posts 15 & 16 of this thread. The reasons for this have been explained quite well already.

Go back & read posts 15 & 16 of this thread. The reasons for this have been explained quite well already.
Hey don't get me wrong. I get THAT. The whole idea is to load as much stress on the divers as possible. Christal clear.
But from what I've seen theres usually 2 levels with skillsets.In this case the initial one of demonstrating your ability to cope under stress-perhaps even to demonstrate leadership skills if your training partner is struggling.
The second one of being able to actually do the job.
I'm struggling to understand where that specific skill could be usefull at any point.
Hey don't get me wrong in any way, its not a criticism. Its an inexperienced diver trying to see senario's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom