Divemaster: Equipment Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a working DiveMaster your shop should be allowing you to use any of the shop gear from the rental/loner equipment, not to mention that you should be able to get your gear through the shop at near cost after all you are using the equipment to take care of shop customers.

What really defines a good DiveMaster is one who shows up for a dive with a complete save a dive kit that allows him/her to fix or repair nearly any use that can come up during a dive outing.

My personal kit includes personal and shop items that allow me to fix leaky regulators, SPGs, hoses, fail mouth peaces, mask straps, snorkels, reg retainers, and the list goes on and on. It all fits in a small little tool box and anything i use during classes gets replaced by the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I used my old, used BC and old regs when I did my DMC 1 1/2 years ago. I have since replaced my gear but I was never embarrassed to use what I had. It was worn out and the BC didn't have enough lift. The octo has something wrong with it and was probably 20-25 years old, so it's been retired. I bought the BC used in 1999 or 2000.
I now have nice,new gear but I'm much older than you and I'm a doctor. I replaced my gear because I plan to do tech training and my gear was completely worn out. The BC had a leak and wouldn't lift a chihuahua.
Practice a lot and just get lots of diving in. Your skills are much more noticeable than your gear.
My husband is an instructor and until he bought tech gear, he was using a BC from 1995. His shorty wetsuit that he uses for summer classes is torn and worn. His drysuit looks like a faded pair of blue jeans but everything is in good working order. He's a very good instructor and diver. Thousands of dives.
Look for deals on used gear and check out HOG regs.

shop used and be patient. You can save around 50% of the new costs

I started diving when I was 15 in 1968. After three years I started working as a part time DM ( never got certified in those day's) I always used gear that was left over from people leaving the island (Curacao) till I left myself in 1980. Then later on I started getting my own gear but, mostly the functional stuff I needed, not the stuff that looked the smartest. Most of my gear is over 10 years old (except for my BP/W). One of the guy's I dive with is a Padi instructor, he bought his stuff in 1995 or so, still uses it.
We always have fun at the dive site when these guy's start parading on the parking lot showing of the new stuff they bought, so pathetic.
Also on liveaboards: the people with the loudest mouth and the newest equipement are the ones to stay away from..
So don't worry, if it' s functional and works for you, you'll be fine.

Does this help? :)

View attachment 176001

(Same principles!)

Reminded me of this:

[h=1]The Evolution of a Programmer[/h] High School/Jr.High
===================
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
20 END

First year in College
=====================
program Hello(input, output)
begin
writeln('Hello World')
end.

Senior year in College
======================
(defun hello
(print
(cons 'Hello (list 'World))))

New professional
================
#include
void main(void)
{
char *message[] = {"Hello ", "World"};
int i;

for(i = 0; i < 2; ++i)
printf("%s", message);
printf("\n");
}

Seasoned professional
=====================
#include
#include
class string
{
private:
int size;
char *ptr;
public:
string() : size(0), ptr(new char('\0')) {}
string(const string &s) : size(s.size)
{
ptr = new char[size + 1];
strcpy(ptr, s.ptr);
}
~string()
{
delete [] ptr;
}
friend ostream &operator <<(ostream &, const string &);
string &operator=(const char *);
};
ostream &operator<<(ostream &stream, const string &s)
{
return(stream << s.ptr);
}
string &string::eek:perator=(const char *chrs)
{
if (this != &chrs)
{
delete [] ptr;
size = strlen(chrs);
ptr = new char[size + 1];
strcpy(ptr, chrs);
}
return(*this);
}
int main()
{
string str;
str = "Hello World";
cout << str << endl;
return(0);
}

Apprentice Hacker
===================
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
$msg="Hello, world.\n";
if ($#ARGV >= 0) {
while(defined($arg=shift(@ARGV))) {
$outfilename = $arg;
open(FILE, ">" . $outfilename) || die "Can't write $arg: $!\n";
print (FILE $msg);
close(FILE) || die "Can't close $arg: $!\n";
}
} else {
print ($msg);
}
1;

Experienced Hacker
===================
#include
#define S "Hello, World\n"
main(){exit(printf(S) == strlen(S) ? 0 : 1);}

Seasoned Hacker
===================
% cc -o a.out ~/src/misc/hw/hw.c
% a.out

Guru Hacker
===================
% cat
Hello, world.
^D

Don't sweat it. It's the skills you have, and how you work with people that commands respect.

Easy way to tell is to go out to some of the resorts or liveaboards in Asia, and dive with those guys. Those guys have hella experience, but their gear looks like it has seen better days. And many times it has. Some of the top guides on my recent trip had completely worn through dive boots, the BC was worn and all faded out, their regs leaking air on every dive, etc. Pointing leaks out to them, they are like what? No problem. But they could do whatever they wanted underwater and you listened to what they said about diving.

5 Years diving, every dive up to 2 months ago done with a rental model reg and BCD, just bought the replacement, same again rental model Reg and BCD.

Its not the gear that makes the DM its the skills!

Although having worked as Manger/Owner/Supervisor etc. Tatty gear is a no go, divers want to see that you will look after them, if you cant look after your gear.....also was taught back when i started using boat/shop gear is ok to cover repairs etc but buying your own gear is a commitment to your career, like a builder and his tools!

Just my 2 cents

When I first became a DM the only new stuff I had was wetsuit, fins, mask and Computer. My BCD and Reg were second hand. By chance the shop I ended up working for also used the same brand as my BDC/Reg combo, so I didn't look out of place (save for the fact my BCD was a little browner).
I bought new stuff when I could afford it, not because of what other people thought about it. My drysuit can best be described as functional (has a good personality :wink: ) the other guys I dive with have $2000 drybags. Do I want one? Yeah, but my budget suit works and until it doesn't I keep using it.

Remember the primary goal of dive equipment is to keep you alive underwater.

The secondary goal is to look cool :cool2:

Remember the primary goal of dive equipment is to keep you alive underwater.

The secondary goal is to look cool :cool2:

Thought it was the other way round?

Back
Top Bottom