Divemaster course in Koh Tao Sept-Oct, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemertes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to do my divemaster course in Koh Tao in Sept-Oct of this year... I have approximately 5 weeks. Any advice on dive shops and accommodations? Which beach would you recommend ie. Sairee vs. Chalok Baan Kao vs. Mae Haad? I'm looking for a quiet accommodation, cheap, within walking distance from dive shops, and where there are still services ie. Internet access mainly.

Thanks for the advice,

Emma in Canada

I did my first Asian diving there. It was enjoyable although a bit of a dive factory. I don't have my diary here so I can't offer much advice specifically. I stayed in the old part of town where the boats arrive but often walked down to Sairee. Seemeed more crowded with tourists there, but I enjoyed all the areas of the island I visited both topside and underwater.

Accommodations were easy to come by through the dive operators although I don't know how easy it was to get them other ways. I went with Planet Scuba, which was fine but there are probably better shops there, too. I can't remember how the Internet service was... it was four years ago anyway. I seem to remember it was cheap.

Hope you enjoy it there, too.

Asia Divers are really nice people and at the moment their are building a great swimming pool... ideal for confined sessions and for IDC practice.

My girlfriend did the DM package in Crystal Dive Center. Nice people, relax... near the beach in Sairee.

Planet at the moment is quite dead. (I will not advice to do it with them)

Ban's is simply to much people... you are one more DMT in a collection of 100 DMT that do the course every summer.

I think Asia Divers is a good option and Guy (The course Director) is a really good manager and educator.

Best of Luck

drbill:
I did my first Asian diving there. It was enjoyable although a bit of a dive factory. I don't have my diary here so I can't offer much advice specifically. I stayed in the old part of town where the boats arrive but often walked down to Sairee. Seemeed more crowded with tourists there, but I enjoyed all the areas of the island I visited both topside and underwater.

Accommodations were easy to come by through the dive operators although I don't know how easy it was to get them other ways. I went with Planet Scuba, which was fine but there are probably better shops there, too. I can't remember how the Internet service was... it was four years ago anyway. I seem to remember it was cheap.

Hope you enjoy it there, too.

Gabriel-

What caused Planet Scuba to go under? I was not happy with some of their rental gear, but fortunately got to know two of their employees who were very nice and helpful.

Bill

Hello Emma,

KT can be a great little island if you get to know your way round.

My personal preference for accommodation is Chalok Ban Kao as Sairee is a bit of a tourist trap but listen round for any deals. Most of the amenities such as internet access is located throughout the island but most are concentrated in town (Mae Haed) and Sairee.

Accommodation, motorbike hire and other services are always cheaper if you do it monthly rather than by day or week so always ask.

But the island is not that big and you can travel round easily on a motorbike - and it is the most practical and cheap way to get round - if not the only way.

So good luck and have a wonderful time and I may see you on the boats if you decide to hang round after October!!

Fellow Thailand Bound
Lou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom