Dive-Xtra Piranha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a NiMH pack that is the same power as a LiIon pack, it is going to be significantly larger. IF we were to put a NiMH pack the size of our LiIon pack into the Piranha, it would only give about 45 min of run time. The power density of LiIon is outrageous. That's why we can get a 417Wh pack that weighs 2.4kg. There is no way you can get that with a NiMH pack.

IF we were to put a NiMH pack the size of our LiIon pack into the Piranha, it would only give about 45 min of run time.

Is that 45min at the highest speed/gear?

If you're scooting along with a group of inferior pool toys and therefore program a few gears down to equal their speeds, in theory you should get at least as long as they're capable of, right? Especially when you take into account that the brushless motor is going to be more efficient than the brushed motor in the pool toys?

An Explorer X, running on a fully charged and reliable battery at 3rd gear out and back can usually get at least 45-60 minutes.

I'm speculating 45min at cruise speed, but probably more.

Yes, if you were to program the lower gears to match speeds of an Explorer X, you'll be more efficient.

No one has reported flooding. We've had units being used for the past year and no one has reported a thing. We've tried opening the body under water, which is impossible as the water pressure is too great.

No one has reported flooding. We've had units being used for the past year and no one has reported a thing. We've tried opening the body under water, which is impossible as the water pressure is too great.

My pool toy is not so reliable in that regard. :)

If you want a NiMH pack that is the same power as a LiIon pack, it is going to be significantly larger. IF we were to put a NiMH pack the size of our LiIon pack into the Piranha, it would only give about 45 min of run time. The power density of LiIon is outrageous. That's why we can get a 417Wh pack that weighs 2.4kg. There is no way you can get that with a NiMH pack.

I think that a great option though would be to have a NiMH battery available as an accessory to purchase extra regardless of the disadvantages, whether it be a much shower run time (however I think that's the largest disadvantage), perhaps the better option would be a bigger battery that weighs a little more for the odd time an owner wishes to fly with their Piranha.

I am thinking about purchasing this DPV, but I am going to wait until I can bring it with me on a plane. Hope I'm not holding my breath too long… I'd like to have the option to buy two batteries, one long lasting small LiIon (that it comes with) and one perhaps a shorter running but 'fly-able" NiMH pretty please. :D

I think that a great option though would be to have a NiMH battery available as an accessory to purchase extra regardless of the disadvantages, whether it be a much shower run time (however I think that's the largest disadvantage), perhaps the better option would be a bigger battery that weighs a little more for the odd time an owner wishes to fly with their Piranha.

I am thinking about purchasing this DPV, but I am going to wait until I can bring it with me on a plane. Hope I'm not holding my breath too long… I'd like to have the option to buy two batteries, one long lasting small LiIon (that it comes with) and one perhaps a shorter running but 'fly-able" NiMH pretty please. :D

I like the idea of the NiMH more for price. I'd like the option for the LiIon, but I can deal with the heavier battery if the overall weight isn't more than the POS pool toy I have now.

Whats the charge/discharge logic on the stackable batteries? Can a fully charged battery be linked to a partially charged one with out damaging either because of an inrush of current into the disharged cell?

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 04:58 AM ----------

+1 on the need for a travel friendly battery.

i travel with my Cuda 400 when ever i go to "bucket list" destinations. For these the scooter adds so much to the trip thats its well worth the extra hassle and expense (i do agree it woulnt be worth it for a weekend to a popular destination with rental units). $50 per day in hire soon pays for baggage fees.

FWIW, the main hassle is the 22kg limit on US carriers. Areas with 32kg limits mean the scooter with chrger, spares etc is just one extra bag..no biggie. Discount airlines over here also give very good per kg rates on prepaid baggage allowances - usualy ~$1/kg

Having said that, you wont get a Pirana sale out of me.....too happy with the 400. :D

The way the modular batteries work is that the battery closest to the motor (bat1) gets used/drained. The next battery in line (bat2) then 'charges' bat1, and so on and so forth. When you plug in a P2/P3 to charge you can plug in the top battery and it will trickle all the way to all the batteries. You won't damage them at all. Even if you do somehow damage them, the 2 year warranty will cover it.

We are working on a NiMH battery. It's a matter of re-engineering the battery tubes to make sure they are neutrally buoyant then testing them. It will come.

Glad you love the 400 :)

Back
Top Bottom