Dive World Austin says they do not maintain rental equipment until it fails

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As promised, here's the video. I know now that a high-pressure hose puts out a low volume of air so I had plenty of time, but it certainly looked scary to me at 60ft. I didn't know at the time that I had plenty of time. Now I know better.

YouTube - SPG_Issue.avi

Well, that is not your run of the mill SPG leak. Usually it starts with a steadyl stream of very small bubbles and may stay that way for quite some time (measured in dives, not minutes). I'm not sure how long because when mine fizzes, I change the o-rings during the SI. That may well be something more severe than a failure of the Spindle o-ring(s); like a failed bourdon (sp?) tube.

As I see it, if I can't rely on a shop to maintain their equipment, or if I have to worry about it, then I might as well buy my gear.

And hey! If you buy your own gear then maybe you will go diving more! :) The whole idea is to get wet ... frequently!! Come back to Adventure - we'll hook you up!

I guess I am wondering why the limit to selling to the local crowd? Is it possible that you could sell to the new vacation divers?

Very limited opportunity. Belize operates draconian import duty laws, and gear starts out significantly more costly than it would in in the US. Can't compete.

Hey Peter I will look into it. I am in the army and last I brought it up, about a month ago, I was told Belize is one of the places we are forbidden to go to due to security reasons. Of course they told me the same thing when I went to Israel to dive there and it turned out that was just people running their mouth when they did not know what they were talking about. So that being stated I will look into it and if I do go it would most likely be as a solo trip.

First I've heard of it. We see US forces here (sometimes as private citizens, sometimes on duty) all the time. Apart from Belize City, which is generally seen as pretty rough and violent, Belize is a peaceful country with some but not a great deal of crime. We have British forces permanently stationed here, as this is where they do their jungle training. And I do meet private individuals here on holiday who in conversation reveal that they are military.

Lt.Col (ret'd) Peter Jones

You so called "easy breathing" are NOT a relatively new luxury option, in fact they have been around for a long time, several decades. I remember looking at the MK25/S600 back in 2001, and the last time I looked at the Scubapro website, and the local dealer, they still make this regulator, with some cosmetic changes. The G250 second stage, which is being copy by chinese companies, has been in production since the mid 80's, you were not even born then. Don't talk about relatively new, like you are an experience diver, when in fact you are a relatively new diver.

Everyone is the Austin dive community knows who you are, since you have made a name for yourself.

And I was on raxpix's first ocean dive in Cozumel with him and five others. i will leave it at that unless someone wants to send me a PM. If i cant say anything good I dont say it at all.

Biggest SPG leak I have ever seen in the water, yea, I'd be pissed too. Bad o rings my behind, I would be wondering if it had any o rings at all.

I try not to post bad things but over the years dive world is one of those shops that has made me love having a compressor in the back yard even more than normal, I will leave it at that.

Thanks Peter, I have already got my S-2 looking into travel restrictions for Belize and am seriously considering taking up your suggestion. What city would you suggest flying into?

I just came back across this thread and wanted to give a little picture of perspective.
I earlier stated that it is Not too much to ask to receive working gear from an LDS rental. Too true.

However. I just want to give a statement. I took my boat out yesterday. Every diver on the boat rented equipment. Now that was 7 sets. 7 Zeagle bc's, 4 Drager regs, 3 Apeks regs, 3 masks, and 3 sets of fins. I am very fussy about watching my divers wash gear. Even though I watch them, I just finished rewashing Every single set. They leave the inflator hose dangling down the back, leave covers off the regs unless I watch closely, don't wash the water and then rinse the bladders, never unroll a smb or open a pocket. Straps left twisted, equipment stowed badly.....ect. They just don't treat it well. Even the nicest of my divers. They don't completely or carefully wash what is not theirs.
They would treat their own gear much better. As a result, I take apart my sets and rewash and rack everything, every dive. Including our own gear, that makes 10 sets. I do this because you can note that my gear looks brand new, though much of it is very old. Even with super care, there is still something little always cropping up. That is why I carry an extra set on every boat. Do you think that large operations EVER rewash gear that comes in? Most cannot or will not take the time. The shop is is not the only reason gear goes bad. It takes the diver too. Okay, done.

Thanks Peter, I have already got my S-2 looking into travel restrictions for Belize and am seriously considering taking up your suggestion. What city would you suggest flying into?

You can only fly into Belize International (BZE), a few miles outside Belize City (there are plans to expand options in the future, but that would only be for southern Belize). From there you can transfer onto a local puddle jumper for the 20min flight to San Pedro. You can see lots of maps at Belize Vacations, Tours, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Maps, Real Estate

An alternative, that costs time but can save quite a lot of money, is to fly to Cancun and then travel down to Belize on land. A very popular route for regulars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom