Dive Watch Myths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seven Dive Watch Myths Debunked

Some of these are classics and have made their way into the proverbs of diving
This is a foolish article. Most of the myths seem invented by a non-diving ignoramus. Many divers do still use watches, and the depth ratings are by necessity set very high in order to insure water resistance, not to establish the diving limit.

One missing...
There was never a dive watch I couldn't and haven't flooded ...

I have two of the only known very very early 1940s dive watch cases made by the late great Herb Samson of Costa Mesa California. Herb was better known and revered for his spear guns and 16 & 35 MM camera housings

One which I used for many years and its wear and tear verifies its use housed a Watham 99 cent (1940s price) wind up watch, which has been modified to fit by cutting off the strap tabs. As of a year ago it still works and the very rare Samson quality case is still water proof

The second one is absolutely mint - never used since commercial dive watches appeared in the early 1950s

just a little history

SAM

One missing...
There was never a dive watch I couldn't and haven't flooded ...

I have two of the only known very very early 1940s dive watch cases made by the late great Herb Samson of Costa Mesa California. Herb was better known and revered for his spear guns and 16 & 35 MM camera housings

One which I used for many years and its wear and tear verifies its use housed a Watham 99 cent (1940s price) wind up watch, which has been modified to fit by cutting off the strap tabs. As of a year ago it still works and the very rare Samson quality case is still water proof

The second one is absolutely mint - never used since commercial dive watches appeared in the early 1950s

just a little history

SAM
pics?

Keep in mind this is myths about dive watches - not dive PCs, and is clearly aimed at the non-diver dive watch owners. It's probably safe to say that 99% of dive watches are worn by people who don't even take them swimming.. I frequent a watch forum and you might be surprised how often this stuff comes up (Can I take my 100m water resistant watch in the shower?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom