Dive Watch aficionados - I've got some questions about depth gauges.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Watch Fans

I'm a watch designer on land. I haven't had the opportunity to design a real dive watch before. Now I am working for a company that may give me a real opportunity to create a high end dive watch. What I am talking about is along the lines of Omega Seamaster, Sumbariner etc. I'm not talking about dive computers.

In order to get this opportunity I am going to have to do some leg work on my own and put together some feasible design ideas to present to them. I want to do a dive watch that shows time and depth. I am very familiar with everything related to the watch as a timing instrument but I am less familiar with depth gauges on wrist watches. I am looking for some insight here. What kinds of ports are on the case for measuring depth. How big is the depth gauge internally. How do they work basically. Any resources you can point me to would be very helpful. For the purposes of this project I don't need to fully engineer the depth gauge into the watch I just need to have a design that seems feasible. The next steps if it's approved it to work with the engineers to adapt the mechanisms.

Thanks for any help you have. Even something as simple as photographing the sideview, depth area of your watch would be helpful. In parallel I am researching online too.

00wabbit

The Citizen Aqualand series has built in depth gauges. The sensor is small and does not increase the case size significantly. One of my favorites is the BJ2115.

Have to make sure the depth gauge could be easily sent back to factory and recalibrated. Don't know how much a mechanical one in-watch would drift… but keep in mind that even though they probably sholdn't, some people may try to dive with that as their only depth reference.

I think I may use a digital depth gauge but have it drive an analog hand.

I use a 20th anniversary edition Aqualand. I would think that the digital depth gauge is a lot more accurate than the mechanical one.

Mine shows depth as exactly 30cm more than my Aeris Manta computer.

I do think the Aqualands need to be a bit tougher. It was dropped requiring a US $ 100 repair.

I think the ideal dive watch would be a G Shock Frogman with the functions of the 20th Anniversary Aqualand.

I have a g shock frogman. Tough as nails.

The Citizen Aqualand series has built in depth gauges. The sensor is small and does not increase the case size significantly. One of my favorites is the BJ2115.

The Aqualand is not a "mechanical" watch. When a watch is electronically driven, you are free to use all sorts of solid state electronics to make things work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom