Dive vigilante

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If someone grabs my fin and yanks, and it's not my buddy, or someone in distress, and I'm not in an uncontrolled ascent, or if he/she threatens me with their dive knife... I'm going to give them a pressurized hose enema, topside...

I think using the term "dive vigilantes" sounds as if there are a group of divers out there doing this kind of stuff on a regular basis. I don't buy it. Have never seen that type of activity myself or even heard it mentioned by another diver. If you witness, or are on the receiving end of this type of activity, report it to the boat captain, marine patrol or local PD. I think most divers will tell you that if you are doing something that endangers the environment, you will most likely get a lecture topside. If you are about to hurt yourself...I have no problem giving your fin a tug.

Giving the fin a tug isn't assault, so I'll tolerate that, particularly if I'm about to do something stupid or careless. (I'll admit to being "guilty as charged" on that count from time to time.)

I draw the line at pinching, and I think I'd be more than moderately upset if I had a knife drawn on me, since I don't think I do ANYTHING on my dives that warrants physical retaliation. If this is some type of "eco-terrorism", then I have to say that I'd entertain the notion of dropping someone's weights and meeting them on the surface for a serious discussion.

Are you serious?? Somebody actually pointed a knife at you??

I'm not saying you should do it, but let me tell you, if somebody did those things to me, I'd be inclined to be passive until I got away, then sneak up behind them and turn off their air while simultaneously ripping off their mask and pull the reg out of their mouth.

One good turn deserves another. :eyebrow:

Perhaps a bit more detail from the OP as to the circumstances. What happened right before you were yanked down a meter by your fin? What happened to the other diver right before he/she was threatened with their own dive knife. I'm not condoning pulling another diver's mask off or threatening/abusing them in any way. But it's been my experience that stuff like this doesn't happen without some kind of provocation. If I saw a beginner diver starting to enter a wreck (especially into a small opening with lots of dangling wires), then I might grab their fin to stop them. If I saw a diver using their knife to deface a cave wall then I might take the knife away from them even if they were on a sandy bottom.
I agree with Eileentk. The behavior is extreme but it seems that something is missing. Curious as to what may have provoked such behavior. Regardless, pulling off a mask and threatening with a knife is excessive. Was the diver explicitly told to not touch the bottom during the pre-dive brief? Also, this would be a perfect opportunity to utilize an underwater writing pad as I would guess part of the problem was an inability to communicate in sufficient detail to get a message across.

I once saw a diver react to a dive master in an angry manner when he signaled the diver to get together with his dive buddy as he couldn't track them as he took us up when we were noobies and were low on air sooner than the other divers. Apparently, this was such a large inconvenience to the diver that he became enraged. I do not understand that. I would happily get back together with my dive buddy if a dive master asks. That's the worst I've seen.

When ya get back to the surface, tell the jackazz if he touches you one more time, you'll have assault and battery charges brought against him.

the K

Why do you think this happened, were you drowning a manatee, spearing Flipper, cutting coral? Or did you just forget to wear your snorkel. If it is the later and he does it again, cut his hose with a pair of side cutters and wave him off. If your harming the reef that is a different matter but the vigilante whould find a more tactful way to explain your error.

That said, I have noted an increasing level of non tolerence for spastic destruction of the reef. He should not however point a knife at you.

N

The only time I have ever touched a random diver was a guy I saw trying to dig out a sea fan with his giant knife in a marine sanctuary. I did try and convince him that what he was doing was inappropriate to say the least although I'm not sure I got through to him although he did tell me that I was #1!!

Other than that, there's no excuse, I am also curious about what might have provoked this behavior.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom