Dive Valhalla Nuclear Missile Silo Nov. 15/16, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dive a Nuclear Missile Silo Nov. 15/16, 2008

Name: Valhalla Missile Silo
Skill Required: Intermediate-Advanced
Bottom Type: Silt
Water Temp: 60°F
Depth: 130 ft.
Visibility: 100+ ft.

Cost: $45 for divers, $25 for non-divers.
Reservations and payment must be made by November 1st!
We need at least 12 divers signed up to make the trip a go, so please call the shop today and reserve your spot!

Camping overnight is allowed as many of us plan to do, or you may choose to stay in a hotel in Abilene.

Bring your own tanks or arrange for tanks through sponsoring dive shop. There are no fills on-site.

You may dive as much as you wish within your training limits and air supply.

Sponsoring Dive Shop:

Oak Hill Scuba
Phone:512-892-4900
Fax: 512-892-9494
Email: info@oakhillscuba.com
Call to the shop to reserve your spot! 512-892-4900
Calling to reserve your spot early will also help us with a firm head count, thanks.

Attachments

• mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    mp-valhalla_1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,390
I paid up and called Nick to confirm that I'm good to go for Nov 15th/16th.

It might help if we keep a running total of paid up confirmed peeps here so everyone knows the situation.

Thanks to Zinc and Mack for the effort to get this happening.

My son and I are paid and in...that makes at least 4.
We are a third of the way there...
It is posted on a local San Antonio board, so....

If anyone going has some clue on their itinerary it would be helpful. I'm to go see Cheech & Chong on the 15th here in Austin with doors at 6pm and show at 7pm. If people are going to dive early Sunday morning through mid Sunday then I'll show up late Saturday night after the show, but if not then I'll have to sort this out some other way that doesn't involve me missing Cheech & Chong.

Last edited:
Cheech and Chong?
They are still alive?
And together?
And sober enough to do a show?
And still funny after all these years?
And worth missing a dive over?
Man, my priorities have changed...

Just curious; what is there to see in the silo? From the sketch it looks like it may have been an Atlas silo. Is it more than a hole in the ground with maybe some work platforms and plumbing down the sides, if they left them in when the site was decommissioned?

Cheech and Chong? YUP
They are still alive? YUP
And together? ROGER THAT
And sober enough to do a show? 50/50 ON THAT ONE
And still funny after all these years? Was/is/will always be
And worth missing a dive over? Missing? No missing involved here.
Man, my priorities have changed... Join me and do both!!

I cannot justify missing these guys because I just never thought I'd get the chance to see them live. I missed George Carlin. Didn't go do the Led Zeppelin thing last year. I'm not missing this. That silo will be there for a while, but these guys may not be. Besides, I can drive out after the show and still get to dive that silo. It's not going to take an entire weekend to see the sights. It's a big cylinder in the ground 60' x 130' deep.

Bought the 8/7 Aqualung wetsuit specifically for this dive too, btw, so I am committed.

...I can drive out after the show and still get to dive that silo. It's not going to take an entire weekend to see the sights. It's a big cylinder in the ground 60' x 130' deep.

That is what I gathered from the drawing;a vertical concrete tube. Wonder what marketing type dreamed up the name for it?

Thanks for the info. Pretty obvious I wasn't going to make the trip for that dive.

Cheech and Chong? YUP
They are still alive? YUP
And together? ROGER THAT
And sober enough to do a show? 50/50 ON THAT ONE
And still funny after all these years? Was/is/will always be
And worth missing a dive over? Missing? No missing involved here.
Man, my priorities have changed... Join me and do both!!QUOTE]

Thanks for the invite, I miss Austin, but at my age I'll just do the dive.....Can only handle one exciting thing at a time...
See ya there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom