Dive/Vacation site like Xcalac or Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I have been down to Xcalac several times on dive vacations, and really liked it a lot! Now, 2 other couples (family members) are planning a trip with us to the "South of Cancun" area.

We really like the quiet not too populated areas, but several of the group feel that Xcalac is a little too isolated for those that don't dive and want to tour around a little (seems it's several hours from Xcalac to get anywhere).

We're looking for a place with a nice sandy beach for swimming/snorkeling, and good ocean diving near by. We're considering Tulum and Akumal areas. Any advice?

Thanks!

Ted

hey Paperdesk. I will be in the area there a week from this Saturday for 5 days. One of the place we are checking out happens to be the Soliman bay area. I can post info on it when we get back. I know we are staying here...http://www.akumalinfo.com/ and apparently according to some of our friends that have stayed there previously its fantastic. I guess i will be finding out first hand soon. Hopefully that helps...

Dan

I've stayed in Xcalak, Akumal, Soliman Bay and Tulum. Having just become a certified diver and having only dived in Xcalak, I can't vouch for diving conditions in the other locations. My impressions are that diving would be best in Akumal ( I think they have 2 dive ops). Solimon Bay does not have a dive ops as far as I know and the beach is similiar to Xcalak (turtle grass).

I have snorkeled in all locations and would rate them in this order: Akumal, Xcalak, Solimon Bay, Tulum. As far as things to do, Akumal and Tulum will have the most. My overall recommendation is stay in Akumal. Half Moon Bay is rocky but has good snorkeling. The better area for swimming is Akumal Bay. Tulum and Solimon Bay are a short drive away for variety and the fabulous beaches in Tulum are not to be missed.

Great info Vetdrm! Thanks so much. We'll take a special look at Akumal then. Sounds nice!

Ted

I went to a place just south of Mahahual in early August called the Maya Palms Resort that was great. The diving is a lot like Cozumel was thirty years ago. The village of Mahahual was just a sleepy fishing village a couple of years ago, then the Mexican government built the biggest cruise ship dock in Mexico there. Things have started hopping there. The resorst itself is about 5 or 6 miles south of town so its isolated and quiet. Their divemaster Ken told me that they find new divesites almost daily. The reef right there is very healthy. Great place. I'm planning my next trip for next spring already.

hey fun times,

great info..i have done some checking into it i think we may try that area as well...

Dan

Thanks Fun Times. We'll check that one out too!

Ted

I stayed at a villa on Soliman Bay two years ago and am headed back again in about five weeks. I adore Soliman. It's quiet, private, and simply beautiful. And conveniently located halfway between Akumal and Tulum. But you definitely need a car. It's quite a long walk out to the main road to pick up a collectivo.

Not sure I'd agree with Vetdrm's snorkeling list, but I've never been to Xcalak. In Akumal Bay you're almost guaranteed to see turtles and that's certainly a plus, but it's full of boats and you need to be aware of them because they tend not to be aware of you. Good snorkeling in Half Moon Bay, also. Turtles aside, I think the snorkeling out toward the reef in Soliman is every bit as good.

As for diving, there is no shop on Soliman but there is one on Tankah, the next bay south. And there are quite a few in Tulum in addition to the two in Akumal.

You may want to head over to LocoGringo.com and check the forums over there. Lots of friendly people with many years of experience traveling to and diving and snorkeling in the Akumal area.

Joan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom