Dive/Vacation site like Xcalac or Akumal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like we've found a match. We liked the looks of Soliman bay, but didn't find anything in our price range, so we booked at Vista del Mar on half moon bay near Akumal. Seems like a nice place and they have a dive shop on site! I'll try to remember to post back on how we liked it! Ted

paperdesk:
My wife and I have been down to Xcalac several times on dive vacations, and really liked it a lot! Now, 2 other couples (family members) are planning a trip with us to the "South of Cancun" area.

We really like the quiet not too populated areas, but several of the group feel that Xcalac is a little too isolated for those that don't dive and want to tour around a little (seems it's several hours from Xcalac to get anywhere).

We're looking for a place with a nice sandy beach for swimming/snorkeling, and good ocean diving near by. We're considering Tulum and Akumal areas. Any advice?

Thanks!

Ted

Maybe DiveDoggie will chime in. I've never been there, but his favorite spot on that side of the pond is Akumal. Repeating HIS experience, less commercial (more authentic mexican *resort*) vs. Cancun~ Playa, great snokeling off reefs right from shore, reasonable diving (not COZ, but good), great beaches.

So that's what I have HEARD... boy I'm almost thinking of calling a travel agent right now!

hey ted,

i am going to the same place leaving this saturday..back on wed...i will give you a report...

Dan

RonFrank:
Maybe DiveDoggie will chime in. I've never been there, but his favorite spot on that side of the pond is Akumal. Repeating HIS experience, less commercial (more authentic mexican *resort*) vs. Cancun~ Playa, great snokeling off reefs right from shore, reasonable diving (not COZ, but good), great beaches.

So that's what I have HEARD... boy I'm almost thinking of calling a travel agent right now!

I've been going to Akumal for several years. "Authentic mexican resort?" Not really. Tulum is on the more authentic side, and you can head further down the coast to places like Xcalak. Akumal is a very laid back lovely place, getting more expensive every year. Aside from Akumal Beach Resort and Hotel Akumal Caribe (and they aren't the mega style monsters) it's villas and small condo buildings. There's a handful of shops and about 6 restaurants with good food but mostly at US city prices. It's been kept off the major development radar but don't kid yourself about it being authentic mexico. Properties are for the most part owned by Americans (a few Europeans and Canadians too) and most vacationers come there because they like that it's nothing like Cancun or PDC and they don't mind paying for the atmosphere. To buy a 2bdrm condo you'll be paying around $400K -650K. A nice 3-4 brdm villa doesn't come for under a million and most that have recently come on the market are closer to 2 or over.

The pueblo is across the highway. It was moved there by the government in the mid 1990's (don't recall the exact date). The pueblo used to be in the area that's now the main town "square" The area by Turtle Bay Cafe and the basketball court. What's now the children's library used to be the school.

Akumal has managed to retain a nice feeling of community between the locals and the owners and tourists. Hekab Be Biblioteca - a library supported primarily by tourists and also business and property owners that provides reading and education activities IN SPANISH for the local kids, is one example of what makes Akumal different. There's also a very active Ecological Society that works with locals, property owners, business, other groups and govt orgs in the area to help retain the natural beauty of the land and ocean...

As the area now called the Riviera Maya is now booming, the goverment has a 20 year plan for the Akumal area which will see the pueblo grow to about 200,000 inhabitants (to support the tourist and business development that is also in the plan). The business and property owners along with the CEA have formed the Akumal Council. They know they can't stop the development so they are trying to be part of it and bring as eco-friendly and conscious influence as possible.

Looking forward to hearing you report Dan!

Scubawife, thanks for the interesting history and demographics. Makes me feel like I've already been there! We're really looking forward to seeing it for ourselves! I know it's going to be great.

paperdesk:
Looking forward to hearing you report Dan!

Scubawife, thanks for the interesting history and demographics. Makes me feel like I've already been there! We're really looking forward to seeing it for ourselves! I know it's going to be great.

paperdesk, you will enjoy Vista del Mar. Half Moon Bay is in Akumal (just a 12-15 min walk from Akumal Bay which is the main "town," if you can really call it that). HBM in often referred to in recent years at North Akumal.

I've been staying at VDM for the past 5 yrs, at least twice a year. The condos are great and the location is awesome. Do make sure to go to La Buena Vida for happy hour. Post-Wilma they got a new chef and it's been great. I hope he's still there cause it was a major improvement. My fav is to have a couple happy hour drinks and the mango shrimp w/ cuban rice appetizer. Yummmmmy!

Did you book directly with Heidi from Vista del Mar? If you're staying at VDM and prepay at least 3 dives with Akumal Dive Adventures you will get 10% off the accommodations and 15% off on the dives. All the additional dives you do with ADA are also discounted 15%. We usually save a bit more by prepaying 6 dives each. They go out for 3 single tanks a day so it's only 2 days of diving.

If you want to do cenotes, contact Diablo Divers. Dennis is the best!

Actually we booked with an agent, but also got the discount deal you're talking about. Since we're there for two weeks I got the 10 dive package! Paid for itself by lowering the hotel cost! I do want to try the cenote too, although the pricing is scary compared to what it seem you're getting. Maybe it's really worth it though?

Ted

paperdesk:
Actually we booked with an agent, but also got the discount deal you're talking about. Since we're there for two weeks I got the 10 dive package! Paid for itself by lowering the hotel cost! I do want to try the cenote too, although the pricing is scary compared to what it seem you're getting. Maybe it's really worth it though?

Ted

Are you staying in the hotel for 2 weeks or did you book a condo? The hotel rooms are not big and for two people with gear and other stuff for 2 wks you might find it tight.

Book a day with Dennis. It IS worth it! There's alot more involved for the DM/guide with a cenote dive vs an ocean dive so the price is a bit higher. Dennis will pick you up as well so you don't need to worry about transportation to the sites. You're getting transportation, 2 guided dives. In Hawaii we paid $90 for 2-tank ocean dives and they didn't even come close to what I've gotten for $110 with the cenote dives.

If you want to try it but don't want to spend the $'s for a private guide, Hidden Worlds does a decent job for a first time. But once you do go on your own with a guide, the Hidden Worlds dive won't cut it for you anymore.

BTW, when are you going? My next trip is early December. 1 wk in Cozumel then 1 wk in Akumal.

scubawife:
Are you staying in the hotel for 2 weeks or did you book a condo?

We're staying in one of the condos from Nov 27 to Dec 11. Maybe we'll see you there? This is our third trip south of Cancun (twice to Xcalac) and haven't done a cenote yet, so I guess it's high time. I'll try to get on in for sure this time.

Thanks!

Ted

Back
Top Bottom