Dive Vacation Question for Board

Dive vacations: Best month to travel?

• December: Tis the Season to be diving?

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • January: Happy Scuba Year?

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • February: Take a loved one diving?

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • March/April: Spring diving fever?

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • May: Take a deserving Mom?

• June: Don't forget Dad...

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • July, August: Schools out!

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • September: Fall in the Islands...

• October: Halloween underwater?

• November: Take your turkey to go?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubagatorgal

Contributor
Reaction score
I am researching and scheduling a trip for my local lds/club and need some feedback to help me as I have never done this before. (Shop owner normally only schedules weekend Florida)

The very best VALUE I can find is all inclusive with air from Miami to Cocoview in December for 7 days for @1100.00.

December appeals to me but I am concerned that many people would find it difficult to squeeze a trip in during in during the Holidays. On the other hand the hundreds of vacation dollars saved could buy a lot of Christmas presents... any thoughts?

In your opinion, what do you think is the best month/season for booking a dive trip for the most appeal and response?

Second, how much advance time do you need in order to plan and schedule a trip?

I have to finalize Monday for the December date....thanks for all the responses in advance.

I stay out of the Caribbean from mid July until the first of November.
I've already been through my hurricanes.
Other than that, I'll go anywhere, any time.
Rick

How about an option that says any time is a good time for diving.

Hi scubagatorgal,

My wife and I usually plan for 2 weeks in the fall, the last week in October, and the first week in November. Summers over, and it's before the Holidays ( it's getting cold here in NY, and it's beautiful there). It's at the very end of Hurricane season (this didn't work last year, Michelle visited while we were in Grand Bahama). Air fare isn't bad this time of year and it's easy to get the dates we want.

If we can, we take a trip in March or April. It helps me get over that "isnt winter ever going to end" depression That I sometimes get. Sometimes airfare is more this time of year because of spring break.

Then again, I've wondered what an August trip would be like??
They tell me It's hot , but it's not bad 'cause there is always a breeze. The weather is either Hellfire and brimstone (read Hurricane)(remember this is a possibility, not a likelyhood). or it's absolutely gorgeous! ......and the diving in the warm water is absolutely wonderful!!

Thinking to self:
hmmmmm........do I really want to wait 'til fall??? :wink:

If you offer a great opportunity and good value, the date will become of secondary import. One of my managers who was reponsible for setting up special events used to fret when enrollment was slow and would invariably proclaim that the problem was that the date just wasn't right because of this or that or some competing event. Annoyed with this routine, one time I asked her what date would have worked better. Initially she was hard pressed to come up with a better date. When finally she did ome up with a date, I then asked "If you had originally chosen this new date and sales to date were slow, what mitigating factors would you now be citing as to why this was a bad date?" Suffice it to say, the list of factors that would have made this other date bad was even longer and more potentially devasting than the list for the original date. However, because our events offered good value, enrollments always came through.

You could drive yourself nuts with summer vacation is good, but hurricanes, so spring is better, but what about school vacation week, so go in the winter, except price is higher, so go in the fall, except this is the rainy season, so go between Thanksgiving and Xmas, but people will be focused on the holidays . . . .

Cocoview is recognized as good diving. Your $1100 price is CCV's group rate of $675 plus $425 MIA-RTB air, so potential customers will recognize this as a fair price (you'd be amazed at how many dive shops will price at above regular price even though they may be sharing in the commission on the land portion, pulling the group comps, and have negotiated a lower price and "fam trip" air). On the other hand, it is all of $25 less than the regular December CCV and air prices (i.e., without group). Are you doing this as a business venture/fund raiser for your club, or are you the good-hearted volunteer/organizer? Some groups will split the value of the group comp to make the price value more pronounced.

Don't sweat the date, focus on value!

and many of us would like to do a trip and of course, save money for us all at the same time.

If those are the normal rates then either I would need to see if Cocoview and the resort will further reduce their rate for the December date.

What was the most favorable response you had in setting trip dates? Was it all over the board?

Originally posted by scubagatorgal
and many of us would like to do a trip and of course, save money for us all at the same time.

If those are the normal rates then either I would need to see if Cocoview and the resort will further reduce their rate for the December date.

What was the most favorable response you had in setting trip dates? Was it all over the board?

The normal rates for CoCo View is $825 plus whatever TACA is charging for air...so you got a good deal that I doubt they will lower. We go every year in March/April. Yes, it's higher but we like the weather and dive conditions best that time of year. I've been there during the rainy season (October) and as much as I love CCV and the diving there, it would have to be a free trip to get me to sleep on wet sheets and use wet towels all week again! But there weren't any bugs!!

Taca's rate is $425.00.

Have you been there in December or know of anyone who has? The few trip reports from that time of year have all been favorable as to conditions.

It is a good time of year to see Whale Sharks, especially in Utila if you take the day trip. I am sure that is why Stan Waterman is going to be there that week lecturing and filming Whale Sharks and other cool things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom