Dive trips with strangers/new friends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trouble with LoB is that I cannot run away from those people that I found uncomfortable with. At least I can go somewhere else on land based trip ie. not sharing a dinner table. All inclusive land based package is as bad as LoB.
I prefer travelling solo.
It can happen, but I don’t find it common. And it will be one or a couple annoying people at most not everyone. And when the annoying people are in their cabins it gives everyone else another thing to talk about. 😹

Only time I found it a problem was our trip on Carribean Explorer, which really has no good place to escape to besides your cabin. We had 2 wicked annoying drunk couples on that one. A couple others I can think of were mostly funny, especially in hindsight.

That’s one of the advantages of private group LOB trips. The people on those trips are sort of hand-picked over time, many friends or acquaintances of the organizer. If a twit somehow gets on one of those trips, they tend not to get invited back.

Trouble with LoB is that I cannot run away from those people that I found uncomfortable with. At least I can go somewhere else on land based trip ie. not sharing a dinner table. All inclusive land based package is as bad as LoB.
I prefer travelling solo.
Good point. I share your love for solo travel as well. There's something about the freedom to set your own agenda and dealing with the logistics and comms is drastically simplified.

Trouble with LoB is that I cannot run away from those people that I found uncomfortable with.
LOL. And vice versa.

Is the vaccination still a 'thing'??
The current invasion requires it even though the country requirements were dropped. Any mention of no shot in the thread was immediately shouted down and posts deleted for peeing in the pool. Who knows, maybe they'll drop that non effective requirement for 2024 invasion...

I've had good luck over the years as a single diver on LOBs. I usually just end up tagging along with the DM and whoever else wants to. Since I tend to do every dive, I'm not doing a lot of socializing on the boat other than at meals.

The current invasion requires it even though the country requirements were dropped. Any mention of no shot in the thread was immediately shouted down and posts deleted for peeing in the pool. Who knows, maybe they'll drop that non effective requirement for 2024 invasion...
Any other rules? E.g. Shearwater computer with same algo backup? NO Suunto’s. Back plate and wing? Long hose or DIR configuration? NO Spare Airs. 😀

Many strangers from dive trips have become friends.

It’s a lot to do with your approach, personality, and :D

@drrich2 brings up one of our favorites, Coco View. It is easy to show up as a single diver and quickly fall into a stinky-wet crowd, lots of Christmas cards still being exchanged, familiar faces on every return visit. In my prior life as a bachelor, I met… a few ladies there. But, like the t-shirt warns: Just cause I sleep with you doesn’t mean I’ll dive with you.

On a LOB, I did hot tub re-warm-up sessions with the lady who was the lead Criminal Psychiatrist for California State Prisons. Fascinating, and she was a willing conversationalist.

You never know who you’re going to meet, just ask about something in common, like… diving?

New buddies? Dive styles can be problematic. I like to look for small critters and quietly observe animal behaviors. A lot of divers are still seeking stuff that I have seen a lot of. I actually converted one “Shark Crazy” Brit and awarded him with a magnifying glass.

Solo Diving works for me, but this is such a norm at CCV, my usual haunt, I am surprised when it is prohibited or has requirements such as a piece of plastic. I hate any LOB policy that insists on sending a DM with me if I night dive alone- instead of drinking furiously with the crowd.

That drinking thing can be a problem on any organized trip. Depends on your personality. I believe SB Invasion has had liquor sponsors, not that this is a bad thing, you just have to decide if you’re seeking dive partners or party buddies.

I like local Dive Clubs. They provide dive-pal accessability!

Oh, look! QQ

Many strangers from dive trips have become friends.

It’s a lot to do with your approach, personality, and :D

On a LOB, I did hot tub re-warm-up sessions with the lady who was the lead Criminal Psychiatrist for California State Prisons. Fascinating, and she was a willing conversationalist.

You never know who you’re going to meet, just ask about something in common, like… diving?
As a 30+ year business traveler, I will say everyone has a story to tell. You just need to warm them to their subject. Met fascinating people, heard all kinds of stuff.

"The Jerk" has been my #1 reason for not doing a LOB.

Like @O-ring love to travel solo. It does add cost to trips as I usually end up hiring Guides/buddies and more boat diving. But setting my own schedule, doing my own thing, priceless.

Back
Top Bottom