Dive trip with three... what's the "buddy" rule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigDaddyGlad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After a very successful trip to Buddy Dive in Bonaire, my buddy and I are planning our next trip. I've invited a third friend to join us for a return trip.

What is the rule for diving in odd numbers? Given the autonomy on Bonaire, nobody is going to police our trio, but are there any safety concerns? Should we try to add a solo diver who may be at the resort? I'm sure there have been many trios who have dived safely in Bonaire, and I am sure I've been on mixed-group boat dives with uneven numbers before. Is this just a smaller version of that experience?

More of a judgement call than a rule I think. I've dived as a trio many times with people I know, and a few times with strangers.

The diving in Bonaire is so easy, that any competent set of 3 divers will be fine. Especially if you already are friends, have dived together before, and have similar goals.

Adding in a random solo diver to make two pairs might simplify things. Might make it harder, too. Maybe the stranger is an idiot, doesn't communicate well, or just wants to have a different dive than you do. Or maybe it goes great, you're all on the same page, and you make a new friend. Strangers are hit or miss.

Buddy teams are always 2 or 3. Bigger groups need to agree on who their 1 or 2 buddies are prior to a dive so you can keep an eye on each other even if the rest of the group doesn’t. So 3 is not a problem. Just be sure you guys keep an eye out and don’t spread to thin. I’ve seen issues before with a buddy getting to far away so buddy 2 follows to catch up but buddy 3 doesn’t pay attention and gets left behind..

Like others have said, 3 is no problem. The best practice is to have a dive / navigation leader assigned on the pre-dive briefing and then that person is responsible for ensuring the other two are able to keep up / not wandering off. One buddy should be assigned to be left of leader and the other right.

Generally like with a pair, you should all 3 stay relatively side by side so the leader doesn’t have to do somersaults to find everyone. If there is a swim through or something, give the signal (index finger on one hand is in front of index finger on the other hand) that you are changing to follow formation. On the other side of the feature, give the signal (index fingers right next to each other) that you are back to side-by-side formation.

The side by side formation also works well to remind a wandering buddy that he’s not where he should be.

Rotate dive leader each dive so everybody gets a chance to lead / navigate.

A good pre-dive briefing always helps prevent things from deteriorating into an underwater soup sandwich.

Some schools of thought say that three is actually the ideal number for a buddy team (the dive training agency GUE, for instance.) Just make sure all three of you go over the ground rules for what is expected of each member of the buddy team. I dive as a team of three often, including in Bonaire.

A team of three can be absolutely awesome, but if I'm diving with random, possibly unreliable divers without team skills, then I'd prefer to just have one buddy. Babysitting one diver is a lot easier than babysitting two divers. If you have a good buddy you rely on, adding a third won't be a problem, then you're two babysitters instead of one. Adding a friend who's not a renegade madman is even better.

If you have two buddies that want to dive as a team, here are some things you could try to make it easier:
- Do a team dive briefing where you agree on exposure (bottom time, depth, turn time) and gas plan (mingas/turn pressure)
- Agree on simple signs and light signalling
- Dive to the level of the least experienced/comfortable member of the team
- Use lights for passive communication, so you don't have to turn around all the time to look for your buddies
- Designate a team leader to lead the dive, even though everybody is in charge of their own safety
- Do a post dive briefing and discuss what went well and what can be improved

There is protocol in this type of thing. First, you need to check and see which one has the best life insurance. Then, who has the nicest gear or boat. Pick you buddy on if you can get the others life insurance or gear.

Hey, its the ocean, things happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom