Dive Trip Report - Shaka Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nogard13

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon in Maui. We had decided to get certified there, in the nice warm waters of Hawaii, instead of doing it here in the cold quarry waters of Washington DC.

Anywho, after much searching on the interwebs, I decided to give my wife-to-be the choice between Shaka Divers and B&B Scuba (it's always wise to let your wife think she picked the place). I recommended Shaka because his website looked like he'd be more fun than some random person out of a scuba shop. My wife outvoted me and said we were going to do B&B because their website looked "more professional" than Shaka Doug's (I find myself outvoted quite frequently).

Well, my prayers to the Scuba Gods were answered. After booking with B&B, I got a call from Blesi (very nice lady whom we later met. Her dog didn't like us, tho) saying that she was unable to accommodate us for the dates we had picked and actually referred us to Shaka Doug! So with a recommendation from the "more professional" scuba shop, I finally got the upper hand in the vote count and we booked our trip with Doug.

I think I speak for both of us when I say that we wouldn't have wanted it any other way! We were more than satisfied with Shaka Doug's experience, knowledge of the area, and expertise. He's such a character, too! We had tons of fun, much more than we would've ever had with any other instructor/diver. His Scuba Bus attests to who he really is. While he's serious in his teachings and in respecting the sea and it's creatures, there is a playful, almost giddy kid-like attitude that is both refreshing and unexpected. Doug's energy and charisma are truly unique! I couldn't see myself diving with anyone else when we visit Maui again.

Our only regret? That we didn't get a picture of the two of us with Doug. Thanks for everything, Doug, and we hope to see you again on our next trip to Maui. By the way, I really want a set of fins like the ones you have!

Here are some pics of our dive adventures:

My wife and I in front of the World Famous Scuba Bus!
n703427510_850147_1685.jpg

Giving the Shaka on our first dive:
n703427510_850151_3349.jpg

A sea turtle swimming through the water:
n703427510_850158_6230.jpg

Shaka Doug being Shaka Doug (I told you he was a character!):
n703427510_850163_8259.jpg

My wife, Sara, and a sea turtle:
n703427510_850169_784.jpg

Ever see a sea turtle with bunny ears? Now you have:
n703427510_850171_2260.jpg

Doug's World Famous air bubble rings (I'm afraid to try it for fear of drowning, lol):
n703427510_850177_4989.jpg

LOL - sounds like you had a typical Shaka Doug experience :D

So glad you had a good time.

Aloha, Tim

Aloha and thanks for the report Fernando. It was great meeting you and Sara and diving together. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experiences with me. Thank you for sharing that with everyone too! (blush) I hope you make it back next year so we can do it again!

Those Mor-Fins really are cool, huh? It's unreal how great they work. Friday I compared them with some Apollo Bio splits. The Apollos were pretty quick but were no comparison on side to side foot movements. The Mor-Fins are simply slippery and that's what makes them work so well...almost zero friction in the water. I can get you a deal on the Mor-Fins. Here's how....go to their website, (Mor-Fins Home page.), order what you want, and then put in 'Shaka Doug' in the comments on check out. I'd recommend the Natural Delfin Pros. They're made of pure malaysian rubber and have steel springs inside to stiffen up the 'snap'. You should get a sizable discount from the manufacturer. I have to check with him on how much it works out to. If you need to, just call them and talk to John Melius and tell him what you want. Be sure to mention my name and you should be well taken care of.

Thanks again Fernando! and Thanks for posting the pics too... It was a nice touch to your thread! I look forward to showing you more of Maui's beautiful reefs when you and your wife return!!

Ad, yes, Lisa, that was a big turtle!!!! Just look at the size of his tail!!

Back
Top Bottom