Dive Trip Report: Old Providence (Providencia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix1

Registered
Reaction score
I recently took a great dive trip to Providencia, Colombia. I have prepared a full written trip report and posted it and about 150 underwater and land photos on my website. You can see it all by clicking here.

Rather than post the entire 7-page report, here is a quick table of contents of what you’ll find there:
I. Summary

A.Pros

• Unspoiled marine environment
  • Plentiful sea life
  • Good dive conditions (warm, good visibility, calm)
  • Uncrowded dive boat
  • Great food
  • Comfortable accommodations (great pool, grocery downstairs)
B.Cons

• Hard to get to from the U.S.
  • Travel costly because of number of planes and weight restrictions
  • If you don’t dive, not much to do
  • Dive boats minimally equipped
C.Who would like this trip

• Divers with a sense of adventure
  • Those who can take more than a week’s vacation at a time
D.Who would not

• Those who prefer brass and glass hotels and chain restaurants
  • Those who need a nightlife
  • Divers who can’t do without Nitrox
II. Why Did We Go?

III. Getting There

IV. Staying There

V. Diving There

VI. Eating There

VII. Paying There

VIII. Getting Around and Other Things to Do

IX. The Bottom Line

I had the help of Tad Miller, a regular ScubaBoard participant, and do recommend that you let Tad help you if you are interested in a trip. He can be reached through the ScubaBoard forum or directly via email at tadeo<at>diveoldprovidence<dot>com or call him directly at 239-281-6692.

I would also be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to reply to this post, PM me on this board or reach me through my website where the trip report and pictures are.

Thank you so much for posting this!! I read your trip report...it is greatly informative and helpful, and the photos are beautiful. We are heading down to Colombia in November and will be in Providencia (ideally) Dec 3-7. We already have our flights to SA and just sent Tad an email in regards to boats between SA and Prov. Since we will be there only 4 days, what sites do you recommend we dive? Any night dives? Much thanks - nola

Congratulations on your decision to go to Providencia. We really enjoyed it, and I hope you do too.

What operator will you be working with? If it's Gerardo at Sammy's, please give him our regards. He was a great guide for us.

Unlike a lot of places, the dive sites are not internationally known, so you are best off telling your guide what you would like to see. As I think I mentioned, the deep dives were typically accompanied by sharks, making those dives a pretty exciting experience (for us, anyway). Based on my dive log and the pix I took, I thought Turtle Rock was among the most beautiful deep dives I've ever been on. The other memorable deep dive was Felippe's Place (that's where that underground statute is). Because we did not have Nitrox available (and because photos are better lit), we much preferred the shallow dives, sometimes in as little as 40 feet. Our favorites were Tetti's Place and Mantis I and II. As always, your guide can tell you based on local conditions which sites are diveable the day you want to go. I think the first time we dove Tetti's, it was perfect; on the second or third, there was a bit of current, which stirred things up a bit. The abundance of fish life at these places is unbelievable.

On boats versus plane, I don't have any first hand knowledge about the boats, but my impression was that they don't cost a lot less than the planes. I seem to remember it's a few hours boat ride. If the seas get rough, you may wish you had flown. I only speak from second hand knowledge based on a friend who took a similar boat ride in Thailand to Koh Tao (no other option) and wished he hadn't.

We didn't do any night diving while there, but given the number of shallow reefs and the proximity to land, I'd bet they'd be spectacular. We preferred diving by day and eating and drinking by night.

Please don't hesitate to stay in touch with other questions if you have them. Tad is a great resource too.

I would have to agree with Rick...Turtle Rock is also my favorite dive site in Old Providence...
As far as the boat goes I'll post my response to Nola in case others would like the information.
The cost for the boat and flights vary through out the season but on average the boat (150k COP) is about half of what the flight (300k COP) cost.
"Right now the boat travels 3 times a week Monday Wed and Saturday, In the season they will add a day or two, usually Friday, as needed. The boat leave SAI at around 9 AM and arrives in OPI at around 12 PM and them leaves OPI at 3PM arriving in SAI around 6PM. This is the only time the boat travels. Looks like you will be traveling in the off season so don&#8217;t count on the extra days the boat may travel. Also Dec is the northerly winds season so the boat gets cancelled if the seas are rough. If you are on a time schedule Fly to OPI, it is the sure way to get to and be back in time for your outgoing flights. "

This is great info. And also thanks for the email, Tad. We are looking into flights from SA. As soon as we have that we will book our hotel and figure out dive logistics. We are officially 8 weeks out from our first flight to Colombia, so starting to get really excited.

Back
Top Bottom