Dive trip recommendation January February 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Juliet LOB looks like a very good option. The trips are $1690 per person for a standard cabin and covers and $1890 for a cabin with an ensuite bathroom, and the price covers:

Included: Three buffet-style hot meals per day, plus snacks and hors d’oeuvres, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages, tanks, weights, weight belts, fishing and spearfishing equipment

Additional: Port Fee, Air transportation, Ground Transfers, Industry Suggested Gratuity of 10-15%, Nitrox, Specialties and Certifications, Rental Gear

I think that port fee is only for the Bahamas but I am not sure, and the Nitrox is an extra $100 if desired. So with airfare and transfers it will likely exceed $2000 pp but it will be close - nice!

I was trying to think of a liveaboard option but I could only come up with Blackbeards, which would definitely be under budget, but sometimes you get what you pay for!

We take our customers to where they can get in great diving despite the conditions just like I said and that basically everybody else does the same thing. I said that for people who want to stretch their dive dollar by fitting in shore dives I would not recommend it. There is great diving in Grand Cayman all year round but not at every location and instead of picking apart my comments to just say that if you had continued on about having to get south (where the diving is awesome) when conditions dictate such a move, you would not have had to ask the question. During winter months certain parts of the island do not necessarily lend themselves to optimum or even any shore diving. Same thing with a post about one of the sister islands the other day. The person was looking for great diving including shore diving which at their time of the year is historically questionable. The winter weather situation did not change since then. Sorry if I confused you.

Thanks! I’m a theoretical mathematician by training and I’ll take my chances with diseases in the South Pacific. I’m from Aftica originally and spent 3 years in malaria ridden countries. BTW You have lousy health insurance. My malarial meds cost me $5.00 last year for my Roatan trip. Ditto for all the others. Can’t remember exactly but at minimal cost). Strictly speaking, a frequent Cayman visitor shouldn’t be worried by those pithy incidental costs anyway. A mere pittance compared to the costs of food and diving there.

Seriously, you should try a trip to the IP. You will soon realize how banal Carribean diving is in comparison.

I haven't been to Indonesia but I have dived the Red Sea, and it was wonderful - but a long and expensive trip - so I still love the Caribbean! Lucky you that your insurance covers travel medicine, the price I quoted wasn't just for the meds, it includes a visit to the travel med doctor to get the shots and prescriptions, and that isn't covered either.

So keep rolling the dice and playing the odds, those bugs and germs come free with the inexpensive food and lodgings - yummy!

Last edited:
We take our customers to where they can get in great diving despite the conditions just like I said and that basically everybody else does the same thing. I said that for people who want to stretch their dive dollar by fitting in shore dives I would not recommend it. There is great diving in Grand Cayman all year round but not at every location and instead of picking apart my comments to just say that if you had continued on about having to get south (where the diving is awesome) when conditions dictate such a move, you would not have had to ask the question. During winter months certain parts of the island do not necessarily lend themselves to optimum or even any shore diving. Same thing with a post about one of the sister islands the other day. The person was looking for great diving including shore diving which at their time of the year is historically questionable. The winter weather situation did not change since then. Sorry if I confused you.

You didn't confuse me until you started talking about Singapore Airlines and Quantas. I never said that shots were required for travel by immigration, only that they were recommended by the US Centers for Disease Control for travel to Indonesia - and they are. Yes, these recommendations are posted on the internet (on the CDC's website) but just because something has been posted on the internet doesn't automatically mean that it is untrue either, sorry if I confused you!

Last edited:
So keep rolling the dice and playing the odds, those bugs and germs come free with the inexpensive food - yummy!

I’m amazed that you dive at all given all the dangerous risks. Or drive. Or take a plane. Life must be exciting for you with all those scary things happening all the time. What DO you do? Dearie me.

Indonesia sounds beautiful and I'm glad that you love it and are happy to recommend it and feel safe there - but what about the food and water issues and the risk of insect-borne tropical diseases? That adds expenses and inconveniences that nobody ever mentions.

When we have traveled to areas with health risks like Roatan, we always visit a travel medicine doctor in advance and we get the vaccinations and we use the anti-malarial medications as prescribed. It costs about $300 or more per person, depending on what vaccines and meds are needed, and our health insurance policies do not cover vacation travel.

So do you take any precautions and how much do they cost, or maybe you are lucky and have coverage? Or do you "just take your chances with malaria?" That really would be "delusional" IMO.

Enjoy those rare, tropical fruits, I hope that you are able to peel them yourself!

I don’t go to malaria infested area. I did take it when I went on safari trip in Tanzania and that’s enough poison to take for such a trip. There are tons of other more beautiful non-malaria-infested places that I still like to visit.

Yep. I learned my lesson about peeling them myself.

I’m amazed that you dive at all given all the dangerous risks. Or drive. Or take a plane. Life must be exciting for you with all those scary things happening all the time. What DO you do? Dearie me.

I enjoy life, but I don't take unnecessary chances, especially when there are expert recommendations and easy options that can help to reduce risks. I always wear my seat belt, too!

Last edited:

That’s funny one of our dive club members mentioned that as a possibility. How did it fare after the hurricane?

There was a recent trip report posted for st. Croix post hurricane, i can't search for it right now but you should be able to find it

@Candiru, here is that recent (land-based) trip report and video about St. Croix post-hurricane that I mentioned. The Juliet liveaboard that @AdivingBel recommended might work for your budget, depending on the airfare prices, or you could price out condos and land-based options. Diving the Fredricksted Pier is easy and fabulous IMO!

St. Croix 2018 - Trip Report and Video

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom