Dive trip recommendation January February 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is little corn or Costa Rica like. I heard little corn had bad vis, bit that could have been people trying to keep the tourists out.
I don't think I would recommend Little Corn as a destination for a relatively large group from a dive club/shop. I don't think there is anyone out there that could handle a large group. The logistics in getting you all there would be a nightmare also. No way everyone will be happy with that experience. That's a trip for a certain type of dive traveler. I also wouldn't recommend Costa Rica for that size of group and that time of year and considering your budget.

Out of curiosity, how many people are going to be in your group? I assume you are looking for warmest water and best viz possible for that time of year? Relatively easy to get to and economical flights and what about food/meal expectations?

We have a requirement of less than 2000 per person max 8 day trip departing MSP or ORD. We have been to Roatan, Cozumel, maya riviera, Bonaire, Belize, and cayman Brac.

My brainstorming is doing to be 'reaching' a bit, but I don't know what your group is up for, and how willing they are to pack in to cut costs.

What did you like about where you've been? Shore vs. boat diving, drift diving vs. no current, etc...?

Would you like 'more of the same,' or something different?

Does that $2,000 include airfare?

How far are you willing to go to save money? If you plan a trip where the hotel stay is separate from the dive package, and the room cost doesn't go up much after the 1st person books it, if that room has 2 queen beds, are any of the people willing to share a bed? I usually travel with family when not solo; with club acquaintances the answer will likely be no, one to a bed and nobody willing to take a sleeper sofa. But, if you really want to save money, that's one way to do it.

Been to Key Largo (I wasn't there Jan./Feb. so don't know the weather then)? Not sure from where you are, but airfare to Ft. Lauderdale is cheap out of Nashville, TN; share a couple of rental SUVs and split the cost, pack into hotel rooms. Rainbow Reef Dive Center, if like my 2013 trip, could get you 4 dives/day, good package deal price and no added charge guide.

Are you ready for something different? A live-aboard out of California (some other time of year, not when you're going), the Juliet live-aboard (remember to ask if you can get a cost break booking as a group), catch one of those winter Aggressor Fleet sales and book on the Bahamas Aggressor with roughly 1/3rd knocked off the price? For a future trip (not your time of year), dive out of Morehead City, NC, and stay at Olympus Dive Center's dive lodge to keep costs down?

Richard.

P.S.: Isn't that the time of year the lemon sharks aggregate out of Jupiter, FL? Your group like sharks?

Little cayman is great but it might be booked up

Little Cayman for less than 2K for 8 days. You kidding, right? Including airfare. :bday:

Last edited:
Dive club is three people. Hardcore travelers, only absolute requirement is excellent and plentiful diving.
That changes everything. Still need parameters regarding total time away from home/work to be more helpful. 8 days of diving or 8 days of total trip time, door to door from home?

Price Curacao if you liked Bonaire - it's better. Similar diving with easier entries - most off beaches with on-site shops. Almost no reason to boat dive except for maybe Watamula to the west or Klein Curacao on a day trip.

So many of the beaches are dive sites with on-site operators that you can either do it like Bonaire - rent tanks from one shop - Relaxed Guided Dives is conveniently located for that or save money on a smaller vehicle and rent onsite. We did both but mid-week realized we were doing more of the latter.

AA is a primary carrier so should be easy out of ORD, Look at apts/condos instead of the resorts -some have shops on-site also. Two properties near Lagun - Bahia Aots. or Lagoon Blou(pricier) could be options. All West Apts. is another option farther west in Westpunt - on one of the better shore dives. Go West onsite for diving and their boats are 5mins away at the Lodge Kura Hulanda - the other end of the good shore dive.

Since there's only 4 of you - split a 2br condo/apt.
I rented one for about $800 for the week - 2br, full kitchen, in Piscadera across from the water - view from up the hill - and an average dive across the street. But 10mins to the west were a lot of better dives. 5mins south to downtown.

There's also dive resort options - the Sunscape AI is where the SB Surge trips go - there's Lion's Dive further east. In Piscadera Goby Divers is at the Veneto and Caribbean Sea Sports at the Hilton - the Hilton is as old as it looks.

There's a shop on the beach at Blue Bay (condos) 5mins. west of town. Blue Bay Wall a good dive. Centrum Market for food is on the road to Blue Bay - also recommended to stop there for food if staying west - there's not much out there for groceries or even dining. .

Back
Top Bottom