Dive Trip Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For most destinations - maybe not MX - you'll do better on flights/costs if you can drive to LAX

When you add shore diving - you're limiting it to basically Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, St. Croix, the Caymans (pricey though)
The ABC's have very little weather problems being below the hurricane belt. I have not been to Aruba but likce Curacao better than Bonaire - the diving is the same, the entries are easier and there's much more to do topside.

I think but am not sure St. Croix caught it last hurricane season. St. John is still rebuilding today - Cruz Bay Watersports recently announced a limited boat schedule is now in effect.

Maui's nice. I'd suggest Kona also but there doesn't seem to be an end to the Kilauea eruption. Kauai is nice if you like it quieter. Try to go during Humpback season. To do the best of Kauai - Ni'ihau - you'll need to go April-Sept - too rough in the winter to cross.

Maybe Roatan also but the best shore dive is at Cocoview - not IMO a honeymoon destination. See if Anthony's Key still has the BOGO when you can go - that's a good deal. There's probably just enough other things to do on Roatan to occupy a few days - the beach, ziplines etc. You have to decide on "safe" - I thought it was OK but some of the resorts do have armed security. I never saw a hint of a problem and our house was about 10mins. outside the West End and there's no streetlights.Nicer - maybe not within the budget is Barefoot Cay but there's only shore snorkeling there.Flights to Roatan seem to be just shy of $800 rt also.

Last edited:
I know that but tell it to the tourists on the tour boat recently lava bombed. Although they were too close but didn't know it.

I think that resources on Kona can be better used by those recovering from losing their homes right now than by tourists. I would have to believe FEMA is probably paying for some of them to stay in condos currently anyway - they do after hurricanes/tornados etc.

I've been to VNP and Volcano (town) I wouldn't think accommodating tourists is high on their list right now.

I’ve been there too.

This isn’t like a hurricane wiping out an entire little island, leaving no infrastructure. It affects some homes on a small area of a huge island with a huge number of hotels and condos for rent, which are all just fine. I’m positive they would prefer not to lose tourism dollars. Tourists not going there will cause them more trouble, not less.

Kona is one city and not the name of the island. Last I knew VNP was closed, don’t know at the moment but there’s no reason a visitor has to go there or to Volcano. There’s plenty else to do (including diving!) Kilauea has been erupting for like 35 years, yes theres some more dramatic new activity started up recently but visiting any of that area has been a matter of timing since the beginning.

We loved Bonaire and Cozumel but for a honeymoon look at little Cayman. Most here stay at little Cayman beach resort which is nice but Southern Cross is a magnitude nicer. Yes, it is more than your budget but this is an exceptional resort and the out door showers are super sexy. Great food, best diving in Caribbean, total barefoot luxury, and imagine a shower 20 feet from the ocean! This is a trip to make memories, when you are old ( like us), kicking back on the porch sipping a cold adult beverage you won't talk about the few bucks you saved on your honeymoon but you will talk about how incredibly nice SCC was. Now it is as close to a deserted island as you can find, no tv, no radio, minimal internet just you and the love of your life. I took my future wife to cayman brac in 1987, it was like Little Cayman is now, told my mom if I could live with her for a week on a deserted island and not kill her I would marry her. I didn't and I did. In October we will celebrate our 30th anniversary in Raja Ampot. Best wishes and congratulations. B & DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom