Dive Trip Insurance: Dive Assure, DAN? Necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know all this sounds a bit fuzzy but there seems to be a logical thread. Insurance companies will pay for an occasional COVID-19 victim, but do not want to pay for trip cancellations unless there is a direct medical diagnosis. For those who are uncomfortable that they now have a policy that will not reimburse them if they suddenly decide that it unsafe to travel, the companies are ready to offer the "cancel for any reason" policies--at a substantial increase of premium.

Sounds reasonable to me and consistent with previous policy. They cover if you are actually sick. When have they ever covered expenses for precautions you may have taken because you were exposed to someone who was sick and were concerned that you might get sick, too?

@outofofficebrb do you have any comments about this?

I'm back from my 6+ month hiatus from SB. :D

DiveAssure travel insurance also comes with dive accident insurance but I find it to be an inferior product to DAN's dive accident insurance, which I also carry. DiveAssure's travel insurance coverage is very good, especially as it relates to diving. In the end, it depends on what it is that you are worried about that will cause your cancel/interruption and whether that is covered with your current credit cards or other applicable insurance. (I also carry Geo Blue Traveler health insurance, even though I have PPO insurance that covers internationally but with very grey legalese. When I get sick or have an emergency, I don't want to have to fight that later on for 100% coverage and it is so inexpensive to get $1M of coverage including dental and medical evac.) I know a few people that have claimed dive accident/consultations and travel assistance/trip interruption/cancellation with both DiveAssure and DAN so I say that having known their experiences.

A lot has probably changed since COVID and I have not read up on the legalese since early 2020.

Back
Top Bottom